U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:56 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,500,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
If you are looking for the west burbs I would defintly look into the fox valley area, esp if your budget is 250K. There are plenty of great homes in that price range and the schools are very good. I think the poster chet has some great insight, but leans to heavily on the .001% of schools in the pricey areas of Hinsdale, etc where .00000001 of the state live. All 3 school districts in Geneva, St. Charles, and Batavia are very good.

If you are looking for a good suburban feel in that price range also consider Wheaton, Barlett, Warrenville, but will get a smaller and probably older home. You might want to stop at Randall Road for that is the edge of suburbia. Past that is all you get out of suburbia and into the small country towns.

Good luck!
I agree with you about Geneva, St. Charles and Batavia. My family moved to St. Charles when I started high school and my parents are still there, so it's been about 18 years now... Anyway, while I loved living in St. Charles and it's still great, it was NOT pleasant commuting to the loop from there. Even if I had been only a few feet from the train station in Geneva or West Chicago, it's just a long train ride. When I did it, I had just graduated college and was living in my parents' house, so I had basically no responsibility outside of myself. I can't imagine doing that commute and then having to come home to a family that wanted my attention.

Of course, that is just me. I despise commuting, which is very obvious the more of my posts you read... so it's clearly a personal preference.

If the OP's husband doesn't mind that commute, I definitely say go for it with regards to Geneva and St. Charles. They're great places to raise a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 09:40 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,644,626 times
We looked at an apartment in the Southport corridor in Lakeview and there were lots of kids and moms with strollers around. Our realtor was telling us that there is a really good elementary school nearby too. We looked near Ashland and Grace and there are lots of restaurants and shops and it's near the red line. And you should be able to find something on your budget. We chose another apartment partly because the Southport corridor seemed too child-friendly (we don't have kids). Hope this helps!

Old 11-21-2011, 09:44 PM

21,441 posts, read 34,632,209 times
$1500 will be on lower end of family sized apartment, but for just a mom and here 18 month old it will get a decent apartment near the Southport corridor in Lincoln Park / Lakeview. I would easily choose that over Bridgeport. Far superior options for schools. Better commuter options. Tons more kids. Tons more place to eat.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:57 PM

69 posts, read 88,271 times
I am thirding the Tri-Cities area. Batavia, Geneva and St. Charles are unique, beautiful communities with great schools minus all the hustle and bustle of the inner-ring and northwest suburbs.

Batavia's my favorite, so I'm a bit biased but... all three are good.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:16 AM

3,132 posts, read 7,333,847 times
There is a lot of life past randall road! they do have a metra station in elburn to ease the commute to the city.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:47 AM

7,634 posts, read 5,247,484 times
Lincoln Square is another option.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:01 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,068,254 times
I agree with southport corridor. Lincoln square too is good as is roscoe village. when I have been to these places, seems like a lot of kids and families there.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:18 AM

772 posts, read 270,288 times
I think there are lot more kid friendlier places than Lincoln Park!

Roscoe Village and Linclon Square IMO are your best bets. Old Irving Park is also fantastic and the Blue Line cuts right through it. It's not impossible to live there without a car but will be more difficult than Lincoln Square and Roscoe Village. However there is I-Go in that neighborhood so that is always an opition.

I think Lincoln Park can be good to raise kids, but also holds many annoyances such as many drunk 20 something year olds. In Lakeview it's even worse with the exception of the western part that borders Roscoe Village.

If it were me I would aim for Roscoe Village/West Lakeview or Old Irving Park. Lincoln Square is nice but a little to far north for my tastes.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:36 AM

21,441 posts, read 34,632,209 times
I wonder what the ratio of working moms to SAHM is in the various parts of Chicago? My casual observations suggest that many of the women with kids in strollers are just care givers in some of the more expensive areas.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:30 AM

772 posts, read 270,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linenlili View Post
Is Logan Square any good?
Eh, Logan Square is fine, but if you are looking for a family oriented neighborhood Logan Square is not but it is at the same time. To me Logan Square is kind of the middle. You will see families and kids but it's not family oriented per say. Logan Square isn't bad to raise kids but it's not particulary good either. It's whatev to be quite honest.

Another good consideration might be the UIC area. From what I have seen it is becoming more family oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago