Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,536 times

Advertisements

The landlord can charge whatever they wish after your lease. I have never had a lease in Chicago that was not renewed with a higher rent for another year unless I told them I was moving. I own now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 06:53 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
I'm not aware of any limits. It's all supply and demand. Chicago is a hot rental market now, there's probably people lined up to move into your place paying the new lease rate.
It is red hot. 5 people want every apartment.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:43 PM

11 posts, read 21,590 times
Last year, our rent increased by $90 to renew the lease! That's when we decided it was time to buy!

Old 03-10-2013, 09:31 AM

644 posts, read 1,187,902 times
I live in a building that's owned by a management company, and they offer different options for renewal. The standard one is to renew for another 12 months at some sort of higher rate than the previous year's rent. They also offer leases for between one and 11 months at various rates, all of which cost more per month than the standard 12-month lease. In any case, it's reasonable to expect that if you're switching to a month-to-month lease, the rent could go up by as much as 10-15%.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,613 times
Default Chicago rents

My wife and I own a five unit building and live in one of the units. When a tenant moves in we offer them a one year lease. After that they can have a one year or two years lease. The two-year lease offers them the benefit of knowing their rent will not go up for two years and us the benefit of knowing that we do not have to look for a new tenant for two years. In either case we can raise the rent as much as we want, but we have very good tenants that we hope will stay and we do not want to chase them away by increasing the rent too much. Of course they're smart enough to know that taxes, garbage collection and everything else keeps going up so it's necessary for us to raise it some. As a rule most of our tenant stay at least five years. And only move on because they are leaving Chicago or buying a home of their own. As someone earlier commented if tenants do not cause problems, pay their rent on time, take care of their apartment reasonably well and do not make a lot of noise we hope they stay forever. Although it's not a requirement most of our tenants have become our friends.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:57 PM

230 posts, read 385,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
I live in a building that's owned by a management company, and they offer different options for renewal. The standard one is to renew for another 12 months at some sort of higher rate than the previous year's rent. They also offer leases for between one and 11 months at various rates, all of which cost more per month than the standard 12-month lease. In any case, it's reasonable to expect that if you're switching to a month-to-month lease, the rent could go up by as much as 10-15%.
Why is it reasonable to expect that rent should increase 5-8x the rate of inflation?

Old 07-09-2013, 03:01 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer33 View Post
Why is it reasonable to expect that rent should increase 5-8x the rate of inflation?
Supply and demand of apartments.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times
What are you going to say when your landlord has people lined up to take your place at the new rate?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:45 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Chicago area rents rise in 2Q with vacancy rate flat - chicagotribune.com

Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Or would it (and this is my hunch) make more sense to simply renew the lease?
Even if you renew the lease, they can raise the rent to whatever rate they want for the second year. The difference is, if you have a lease, they lock it in for a year... But they may raise it more keeping that in mind. I say go for the flexibility of the month-to-month and don't rock the boat. If you demand a new lease, you are basically ASKING to have your rent raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: