Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:06 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,555,712 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how much my landlord can increase my rent per year. I signed a one year lease this September. When discussing terms my landlord let me know that if I would like to go month-to-month once the lease expires I am free to do so (granted it isn't in winter months). I found that rather suspect, as typically landlords do not like making such arrangements. Then I started to think about it- is it true that my landlord could charge any price increase she wants should I go month-to-month at the expiration of the lease? Or would it (and this is my hunch) make more sense to simply renew the lease? Does anyone know if there are laws pertaining to how much of a percentage increase they can charge? I'm trying to find information but it seems to be conflicting. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 11:10 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,552,336 times
I'm almost certain a landlord can increase the rent to whatever they want when the lease is up.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:45 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,936,747 times
City of Chicago does not have rent control like many other cities, the landlord can raise the rent however much they want once the lease is up.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:42 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,177,367 times
The above is correct. The landlord holds the cards in terms of how much to raise the rent.

The only possible protections would be in the event of discrimination against a protected class of people if they were being treated substantially differently from others in terms of the amount of a rent increase. There are some fair housing laws/presidential acts that might cover such discrimination. Doesn't sound like this is the case with your situation per your post.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:01 AM

955 posts, read 1,820,077 times
She's free to charge whatever she wants, period. Her not forcing you to sign a 2nd lease is not that uncommon. Sometimes landlords who own small apartment buildings or two/three flats will do this as a friendly gesture to reward and keep a good tenant. If you've had a good first year there, then this is probably the case.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 14,880 times
How much can a landlord charge in addition to your rent when another moves in temporarily and you are under a lease. does the rent double?

Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,112,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna L Teague View Post
How much can a landlord charge in addition to your rent when another moves in temporarily and you are under a lease. does the rent double?
What are you asking? Do terms change if you get a roommate? Most leases specifically do not allow non-leaseholders to reside in the apartment - if I remember right, that's how the "Chicago standard lease" that most landlords use is written. If you have a friend visiting for a few days, even a couple weeks, it's probably fine. But if they're staying longer and getting mail and sharing rent with you, you may be in violation of the lease. To add someone to a lease usually isn't a big deal, usually a matter of paying a credit check fee (which should be under $50, and certainly no more than $100). if there's some sort of move-in-fee, the roommate may or may not have to pay that depending on the landlord. Most small-time landlords don't have move-in/move-out fees, that's usually a high-rise thing. Normally, the monthly lease rate will not change when adding a roommate.

Basically, start by reading your lease.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,662,734 times
I'm not aware of any limits. It's all supply and demand. Chicago is a hot rental market now, there's probably people lined up to move into your place paying the new lease rate.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM

6 posts, read 21,962 times
I don't know about limits either... But from personal experience, I signed a 1 year lease on my place four years ago, and haven't signed anything since. He doens't ask for a new lease and I keep paying on time every month. So at least some landlords don't seem to care...

Old 03-08-2013, 10:37 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,662,734 times
If it's a small time landlord, you take care of the place, pay rent on time and don't cause problems, you have a good shot at not having your rent raised.
Property management companies, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: