Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 PM

665 posts, read 1,241,795 times

Advertisements

I hungout out there this weekend and got a good vibe
as a minority I was shocked, lol. I am planning on moving to
the south loops as a YBP, but now Im giving WP a secondlook.

Its not as diverse as SLoop,but the people there seem to be alot more freindly
to minorities than LP/LV.(can some one explain this arent they all from the same place as far as demographics wise). I have a weird theory.

Anyways what is the bar and social scene like in WP since,I only been there once. I like the semi-hipster crowd, but not that nightlife are there any night clubs or bars that play urban(hip hop music or atleast pop music).

what is the age demographic in wicker park,what is the complete racial breakdown,and where are the hotspots sheffield like streets and does
bucktown have a similiar vibe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 09:30 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,779,476 times
IME, LP/LV cater more to the post-frat boy/post-sorority girl white crowd, so I can why minorities may feel less welcome. WP historically has a much more progressive feel with artists moving in in the 80's, the abundance of hipsters, funky cafes, bakeries and eateries... it really tries to have a more inclusive, anti-frat boy/sorority girl, vibe... though yuppies are the ones buying up a lot of things, you still get a lot of younger alternative lifestyle folks renting and hanging out.

Bucktown is a little more gentrified than WP, and is pricier, so you get more yuppies there, but it still attracts a lot of hipsters and non-yuppy types due to the venues, and boutique clothing stores.

Can't help with specific demographics or hip hop clubs. Rainbow Bar, which was a long time hangout for artists, plays a lot of rock. The Empty Bottle, which is rather close to WP on western Ave is a live venue/bar for a lot of good traveling bands. I believe there is a venue that has some live hip hop from time to time in Bucktown at the intersection on Damen/Milwakee... Don't remember the name.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:49 PM

665 posts, read 1,241,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
IME, LP/LV cater more to the post-frat boy/post-sorority girl white crowd, so I can why minorities may feel less welcome. WP historically has a much more progressive feel with artists moving in in the 80's, the abundance of hipsters, funky cafes, bakeries and eateries... it really tries to have a more inclusive, anti-frat boy/sorority girl, vibe... though yuppies are the ones buying up a lot of things, you still get a lot of younger alternative lifestyle folks renting and hanging out.

Bucktown is a little more gentrified than WP, and is pricier, so you get more yuppies there, but it still attracts a lot of hipsters and non-yuppy types due to the venues, and boutique clothing stores.

Can't help with specific demographics or hip hop clubs. Rainbow Bar, which was a long time hangout for artists, plays a lot of rock. The Empty Bottle, which is rather close to WP on western Ave is a live venue/bar for a lot of good traveling bands. I believe there is a venue that has some live hip hop from time to time in Bucktown at the intersection on Damen/Milwakee... Don't remember the name.
the intersection on damen.milwakee is where alll the bars are at am I correct.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:09 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,779,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
the intersection on damen.milwakee is where alll the bars are at am I correct.
Yes, but they also stretch down each avenue.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:58 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,405,402 times
WP/East Village/Bucktown is kind of "Lakeview Lite" these days, but hy and large, it doesn't surprise me that you find it a little more open to AAs. As others have mentioned, it is not as overtly fratty.

As far as hip hop/pop/house music goes, you can find a bit of it in a lot of venues around there. I know you said you don't like the hipster crowd, but Danny's has different DJs every night and in many cases they spin house, hip hop, raggae, soul, and pop music. They tend to be more funk and soul heavy in their rotation. Subterranean used to have hip hop nights and more poppy/loungy nights. Betty's Blue Star and Funky Buddha aren't too far away either.

I don't live in Chicago anymore and moved out of WP a few years ago, so I'm not as "in the Loop" as I used to be. It's a shame the old Lava Lounge and 1056 aren't around. They sound like they'd be closer to what you're looking for in terms of an urban scene.

RIP Lava Lounge: Lava Lounge in Memoriam: Chicago Bar Project

Old 11-28-2011, 11:09 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,400,293 times
If you're looking for a spot in Bucktown / Wicker Park with good hip hop, I'd check out "Empire Liquors". Last time I went there, the crowd seemed diverse, friendly and the music was on point. I think you'll like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
I hungout out there this weekend and got a good vibe
as a minority I was shocked, lol. I am planning on moving to
the south loops as a YBP, but now Im giving WP a secondlook.

Its not as diverse as SLoop,but the people there seem to be alot more freindly
to minorities than LP/LV.(can some one explain this arent they all from the same place as far as demographics wise). I have a weird theory.

Anyways what is the bar and social scene like in WP since,I only been there once. I like the semi-hipster crowd, but not that nightlife are there any night clubs or bars that play urban(hip hop music or atleast pop music).

what is the age demographic in wicker park,what is the complete racial breakdown,and where are the hotspots sheffield like streets and does
bucktown have a similiar vibe

Old 11-28-2011, 11:24 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,037,449 times
Last week, I was hanging out in Wicker Park / Logan Square with a black guy and two Mexicans. I'm white. I guess that makes us a diverse group except that we're all males in our mid-twenties who are dressed the same, acting the same and talking the same.. listening to the same music at the same place. And let's face it, very similar economic backgrounds as well. :P

Last edited by urza216; 11-29-2011 at 12:04 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 07:27 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,542,497 times
When I lived in Wicker Park, one of the main things that annoyed us was the lack of diversity, however it's been shown through the stats posted here before (can't remember the exact numbers, but I'm sure someone else will post) that that's really my perception: In reality Wicker Park is more diverse than I gave it credit for. However, we lived right in the heart of the neighborhood just east of six corners and my block, while diverse in terms of age and social bracket, was essentially completely white.

The "scene" however was fun, inclusive and there were a lot of great bars that I liked -- we're more of the laid back bar variety of folks, but for those looking for more of a club scene Empire Liquors is a good suggestion. I'd also throw in Debonair.

I'm glad you initially enjoyed the neighborhood -- get out there and explore some more, because there's some great stuff!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:30 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,567,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
WP/East Village/Bucktown is kind of "Lakeview Lite" these days, but hy and large, it doesn't surprise me that you find it a little more open to AAs. As others have mentioned, it is not as overtly fratty.

This, they're more alike every year. And just about every other bar/club in Wicker will be playing hip-hop/pop music.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:45 AM

771 posts, read 1,391,111 times
Everytime I walk down the six corners of where Wicker Park and Bucktown meet I always see a mix of white, hispanic and blacks. Whites are certainly a majority, but the minorities are certainly visible. That's why I really like Wicker Park and Bucktown, you have your hipsters, artists, frat/soroity type, hip hop type, yuppies with a mix of different ethnicities. A restaurant and bar for everyone's need as well.

I am not saying Wicker Park/Bucktown are super diverse hoods, rather compared to the other nightlife centers of the city (ie, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Near North Side), Wicker Park/Bucktown are much much more diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago