Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:18 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I was saying that $850 is what a pay for a ROOM, not the apartment. I'm willing to live with roommates - my apartment is $2000 with a roommate currently in SF...and it's really ugly and old. I suspect I could get better for $850 in Chicago with roommates - not expecting my own place.
OK I misread your post. Chicago is FAR less expensive than San Fran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM

771 posts, read 1,394,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I was suggesting that 312 and along the lakeshore is the area that would feel like NYC or San Fran. The rest of the city is urban, but in a way that Cleveland, or Pittsburgh, etc. is urban. (I use those examples as those cities have/had major Polish enclaves, whereas say STL never did.

I agree that Avondale is urban and diverse, but it is urban in a way that Queens, NY is urban. Or maybe a more bustling version of the more diverse neighborhoods in other midwestern cities. Kind of like Hamtramck, MI with public transit.

Ok, I think I misinterperted. I agree. The urbanism of SF, New York, Boston is very different to that of Chicago's. I think Chicago's urbanism compares more to a city like Toronto or even like Santiago, Chile.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:31 PM

771 posts, read 1,394,980 times
Quote:
There is a unique style of Chicago/midwest liberalism. that is different from liberalism in California or New York.

People are very open minded, progressive and tolerant, yet there is a much stronger sense of what is considered "normal" in Chicago and other liberal enclaves in the midwest (Minneapolis, Madison, Ann Arbor, etc, other hipster artsy hoods in STL, Cincy, Cleve, Det., etc.) than what is found on the coasts.
I agree with this as well, although I am finding people are becoming more liberal. Chicago is basically a let live type of city. Basically, as long as you aren't hurting someone or doing something criminal, Chicagoan's will stay out of your business and not really care what you do.

I actually don't find NYC as liberal as California cities. NYC I think is more of a let live approach and no one cares who you are or what you do than SF, LA's, Portland or other similar's cities extreme liberalism. Let's not forget NYC elected Rudolph Guliani as mayor.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:36 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
lol @ Chicago being conservative

Old 11-29-2011, 02:40 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
Quote:
There is a unique style of Chicago/midwest liberalism. that is different from liberalism in California or New York.

People are very open minded, progressive and tolerant, yet there is a much stronger sense of what is considered "normal" in Chicago and other liberal enclaves in the midwest (Minneapolis, Madison, Ann Arbor, etc, other hipster artsy hoods in STL, Cincy, Cleve, Det., etc.) than what is found on the coasts.
I grew up in and around Portland, and have spent a fair amount of time in New York.

Every city has both liberal and conservative factions.

San Francisco and New York, both being big shipping centers, take more of a sailor's approach to liberalism, which is to say not just open to trying new things, but trying new things as an almost necessary way of life. And similarly, they accept differences as just natural. On the other hand, they have concentrations of wealth and power that result in a brand of conservatism that has more to do with preservation of economic power than anything else. Though SF is also somewhat influenced by religious types, the motivation for them is more about trying to lead society to improvement through religion.

Chicago, and most of the Midwest, does come to both liberalism and conservatism from different angles. The liberalism in Chicago is much more the result of philosophical Bohemian and German ideals related to naturalistic rights. While there is a lot of trade that passes through Chicago, not being a major international sea port does constrain the scope of exposure. Chicago is still quite global, but the globalism is more intentional and less organic. You could live in Chicago and live an American lifestyle with very little exposure to other cultures. But most people who live here do intentionally make a point to expose themselves to at least some cultural variety. Likewise, I think the conservatism here is a little less about money and power a little more about traditions, and about maintaining "normal," both for the secular and religious folks.

All that said, I live in Chicago (in River North) just fine, and I'm just a slightly older member of the O.P.'s demographic and I've never felt uncomfortable here.

Last edited by emathias; 11-29-2011 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: correcting tenses

Old 11-29-2011, 02:47 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Man, I like your posts emathias.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:58 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I grew up in and around Portland, and have spent a fair amount of time in New York.

Every city has both liberal and conservative factions.

San Francisco and New York, both being big shipping centers, take more of a sailor's approach to liberalism, which is to say not just open to trying new things, but trying new things as an almost necessary way of life. And similarly, they accept differences as just natural. On the other hand, they have concentrations of wealth and power that result in a brand of conservatism that has more to do with preservation of economic power than anything else. Though SF is also somewhat influenced by religious types, the motivation for them is more about trying to lead society to improvement through religion.

Chicago, and most of the Midwest, does come to both liberalism and conservatism from different angles. The liberalism in Chicago is much more the result of philosophical Bohemian and German ideals related to naturalistic rights. While there is a lot of trade that passes through Chicago, not being a major international sea port does constrain the scope of exposure. Chicago is still quite global, but the globalism is more intentional and less organic. You could live in Chicago and live an American lifestyle with very little exposure to other cultures. But most people who live here do intentionally make a point to expose themselves to at least some cultural variety. Likewise, I think the conservatism here is a little less about money and power a little more about traditional, about maintaining "normal," both for the secular and religious folks.

All that said, I live in Chicago (in River North) just fine, and I'm just a slightly older member of the O.P.'s demographic and I've never felt uncomfortable here.
Outstanding post!

Old 11-29-2011, 03:00 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Ok, I think I misinterperted. I agree. The urbanism of SF, New York, Boston is very different to that of Chicago's. I think Chicago's urbanism compares more to a city like Toronto or even like Santiago, Chile.
I even mentioned in a post on the city vs. city forum, that Chicago urban fabric most matches Toronto in North America. That, and the landscape/climate is comparable too.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:02 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The liberalism in Chicago is much more the result of philosophical Bohemian and German ideals related to naturalistic rights.

And a strong dose of pragmatic Irish trade union "just give me the money" liberalism.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:05 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,995 times
Basically you got the loop/downtown, the more suburban areas, the more hipster areas, and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago