Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:49 AM

14 posts, read 24,225 times

Advertisements

You guys are great. Thanks.

We drove from Chicago to Chicago Heights when we were up there for his job interview, and it seems like a pretty chill drive.

It is important to us to live somewhere we love. Otherwise, we would have just stayed in NYC (however excessively nuts it is).

My fiance is going to be working at a hospital in Chicago Heights. I'll be working in Skokie (likely...have had 3 job interviews at a place there), so we kind of need to split the difference. What's Hyde Park like? What did you mean by dangerous? I lived in Queens for 4 years...worse than that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 09:57 AM

439 posts, read 951,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahKate104 View Post
You guys are great. Thanks.

We drove from Chicago to Chicago Heights when we were up there for his job interview, and it seems like a pretty chill drive.

It is important to us to live somewhere we love. Otherwise, we would have just stayed in NYC (however excessively nuts it is).

My fiance is going to be working at a hospital in Chicago Heights. I'll be working in Skokie (likely...have had 3 job interviews at a place there), so we kind of need to split the difference. What's Hyde Park like? What did you mean by dangerous? I lived in Queens for 4 years...worse than that?

It's dominated by the University of Chicago. It's also surrounded by some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Chicago. Hyde Park itself is relatively safe though. Heavily patrolled by both CPD and University Police.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:07 AM

14,801 posts, read 17,625,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I'll be a dissenting voice. I simply cannot live in a neighborhood where I don't feel comfortable. That pretty much means I will live on the north side or in Hyde Park. And Hyde Park can be a bore if you're not affiliated with the University of Chicago (and it's slightly dangerous).

The commute to Chicago Heights, which is really way, way out of town, south of the principal south suburbs which are south of the south side, is terrible. However, the OP may not work there forever; we haven't been told what her job is or what the prospects are for a different one.

So, live close to Lake Shore Drive so you can cruise past downtown onto 55, to 94 south, and out to Chicago Heights. You did say off-hours? Google Maps shows 44 minutes from 400 W. Fullerton in Lincoln Park to Halsted and Route 30 in Chicago Heights. (Allow much longer.)
I agree. I know people who live in Wicker Park, Irving Park, Lincoln Square, that drive to Plainfield every day.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 AM

204 posts, read 909,414 times
If you think you'll end up working in Skokie, I would suggest South Loop, West Loop, or River East so that you are both close to highways to go to work. Living near downtown in any of these neighborhoods would leave you close to urban life and to the highways you would need.

Also, check the feasibility of River North, Gold Coast, Streeterville, or Wicker Park and Bucktown. They will put you a little further away from the highways, but not by much. These neighborhoods will give you some more entertainment/dining options as well.

Hyde Park would be better for his commute, but if you end up in Skokie, it will make yours much worse. It is a great neighborhood, but night life is a little more limited than some of the others I mentioned.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:08 PM

14 posts, read 24,225 times
Thx, guys!

Old 12-20-2011, 09:12 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,041,105 times
Hyde Park isn't the only good worthwhile neighborhood on the south side. Beverly is another great option.

Saint James is a great hospital.. Why else would they recruit someone all the way from New York? Welcome to our area - even if you are choosing to live far away from it. I suppose it's nice that the horde of northsiders on this forum (who have prabobly never even seen Saint James Hospital) have been helpful to you.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
The commute to Chicago Heights, which is really way, way out of town, south of the principal south suburbs which are south of the south side, is terrible.
Chicago Heights is in Cook County so considering how big the Chicago Metropolitan area is, I don't think calling it "way way out of town" is a fair assessment. Although personally, I think Wilmette is far away from everything.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:21 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,402,716 times
If you're looking for a city neighborhood (resembling the life you're coming from in NYC), I'd probably go with the South Loop or Hyde Park in your situation. Any further north, and I think your man will go NUTS with the killer commute. South Loop is already kind of a stretch, but I guess it's do-able. After all, I know a guy that commutes all the way from the deep South Loop (near US Cellular) up north to Waukegan. Don't know how people manage such insane commutes lol.

Btw, now that I read that you might be working in Skokie, I'd consider the South Loop and POSSIBLY West Loop now. I just would not go north of downtown, however due to the Chicago Heights commute. I guess with Hyde Park or the eastern section of South Loop, you could use Lake Shore Drive as a backup to 94 even for the Skokie commute (zip up towards Evanston, and then head west). Could get kind of tricky. Either way, best of luck here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahKate104 View Post
Hey guys! Thanks for the responses. I really wanted to live in the city. I'm coming from NYC, and I love being in an urban environment. Are any of the suburbs closer to Chicago Hts city-ish?

His shifts are usually 7 am-7 pm or 12 am to 9 pm.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:39 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,894,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Chicago Heights is in Cook County so considering how big the Chicago Metropolitan area is, I don't think calling it "way way out of town" is a fair assessment. Although personally, I think Wilmette is far away from everything.
Wilmette may look far away on the map but it is nineteen (19) minutes from Ogilvie (Northwestern) Station by the fastest train.

OK, Chicago Heights is *substantially* out of town. The north suburban equivalent would be North Chicago.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:55 AM

North Chicago is quite a bit more further out than Chicago Heights. South of Chicago Heights, you still got South Chicago Heights, Steger, Will County and Kankakee County.. North Chicago is in the northern equivilent of Will County.. And pretty deep into it too.

From Chicago Heights, you can get to the far south side in a half an hour. I've done it in less than that actually.. Can North Chicago say the same?

119th street is West Pullman in the city limits. Chicago Heights is 211th street. Chicago Heights is about twice the distance from downtown to the far south side. This isn't "substantially out of town".

Last edited by urza216; 12-21-2011 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: added stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago