Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,425 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

Me and my boyfriend will be in Chicago for New Years Eve for the second year in a row. I have been to Chicago over 20 times as a kid until now so I'm familiar with the city's ins and outs. Last year we bought tickets to the party on Navy Pier, and I wasn't too enamored. Not only do I not consume 120 dollars and up worth of alcohol for open bar type parties that require tickets to be bought, we are looking for just a neat bar or hole in the wall to hang out in. Nothing to fancy schmancy really. Im from Dallas and I avoid the pretentious type places like the plague, although I am open to all ideas (excluding Kardashian look alike infested type places.) We are staying down town in the Streeterville area, so something close would be nice but again I'm open to all ideas.

Thanks Chicago-ans. I plan to be one by November of next year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 02:39 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentleyAndMe View Post
Hello All!

Me and my boyfriend will be in Chicago for New Years Eve for the second year in a row. I have been to Chicago over 20 times as a kid until now so I'm familiar with the city's ins and outs. Last year we bought tickets to the party on Navy Pier, and I wasn't too enamored. Not only do I not consume 120 dollars and up worth of alcohol for open bar type parties that require tickets to be bought, we are looking for just a neat bar or hole in the wall to hang out in. Nothing to fancy schmancy really. Im from Dallas and I avoid the pretentious type places like the plague, although I am open to all ideas (excluding Kardashian look alike infested type places.) We are staying down town in the Streeterville area, so something close would be nice but again I'm open to all ideas.

Thanks Chicago-ans. I plan to be one by November of next year!
Check out Timothy O'tooles on the corner of Fairbanks and Ohio. It's pretty much sports bar/pub. Very casual and low key, pretty decent food. I highly doubt they are selling any sort of tickets and it's probably close to your hotel. I would try to make resevations though as it will still probably get packed. Another nearby option would be D4, which is nice but still fairly casual. Also check out Fado. Nice psuedo-Irish pub in River North. Looks like tickets are $10/$20.

There are tons of other options, but I'd advise straying to far from the hotel on NYE as taxi's will be hard to find.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:44 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
There are tons of other options, but I'd advise straying to far from the hotel on NYE as taxi's will be hard to find.
That reminded me of a NYE in downtown about 15 years ago, it was about 5 degrees outside as we struggled to get a cab. I still remember how cold it was and how many full cabs drove by...brrrrrrr.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:07 PM

10 posts, read 8,324 times
The question is are you looking for some kind of open bar package. If you are, just about every single one of them is at least $75.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:12 PM

No open bars particularly. My alcohol tolerance is about ten dollars haha, so this year we are staying away from the open bar packages and just looking for something a little more laid back. Thanks for all the advice so far! I will definately check everything out. Also, thats why I'd like to stay close due to the taxi situation. I don't plan on drinking near as much as I did last year (oops?) but we did get lucky and a private chartered car took us back to the hotel, why he decided to pick us up was beyond me but he was compensated well for it lol.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:19 PM

The problem is I can guarantee just about every bar in and near to Streeterville will have a mandatory open bar ticket.

You could try a place like Rossi's though. But it is way more than laid back to say the least if you are used to upscale bars.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:24 PM

Check this page out for a long list of things to do on New Years Eve:

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...nt?oid=5149171

Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 PM

Well, let me rephrase. I dont mind paying a ticket or cover charge. I prefer to stay away from the type parties like on Navy Pier or the parties that are thrown in hotels. Everything suggested so far seems right up my boyfriend and my alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: