U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-22-2011, 08:36 AM

59 posts, read 52,334 times
Default moving to chicago. working at loyola medical center

Hi Guys, I was wondering how feasible it would be to live in downtown chicago while taking public transportation to loyola? Google maps gives it 1 hour (+). Does anyone do it?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 09:04 AM

346 posts, read 424,394 times
If your going to the suburbs, you should be aware that Google doesn't acknowledge the existence of the suburban bus system known as PACE. I'm not sure why. It will even give you Megabus as a transit option.

That said you'll want to use goroo | RTA, CTA, Metra, Pace, Driving and Biking Directions | Better Directions, Better Trip Planner. to plan suburban trips. Despite the fact that a bus between the Forest Park Blue Line terminal exists, the time seems the same.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:11 AM

6,937 posts, read 3,317,358 times
It'll be an inconvenient, long commute - twice a day. You really need a car if your shifts will be at odd hours. Public transportation is subject to being altered, cancelled, etc. If I worked out there I'd want a car. Oak Park is probably a more convenient location than Downtown Chicago. Maybe, though, Loyola has some sort of campus-connecting bus service between the Loyola (Rogers Park), Downtown and Maywood campus. Have you checked with the university about that?

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:16 AM

21,477 posts, read 35,383,360 times
I do not believe that Loyola runs any special shuttle to Maywood. About Loyola, Loyola University Chicago

Any commute that relied on public transit options, including Pace, is subject to HUGE delays becuase of the relatively limited ability for buses to move within the heavy traffic that often surround the Maywood area. Further the weekend service for many Pace routes has recently been curtailed / eliminated...

I would recommend living closer to the Medical Center and probably having some reliable means of personal transportation...

Old 12-22-2011, 12:00 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,018,073 times
Agree with all the above. This is one commute you don't want to do from the city everyday. Oak Park is a great compromise, and have a car.

You will save your sanity.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:09 PM

5,233 posts, read 8,025,287 times
I have a friend who works at Loyola and lives in the west Loop. She drives.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:27 PM

7,739 posts, read 5,417,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
i have a friend who works at loyola and lives in the west loop. She drives.
+1

Old 12-22-2011, 06:45 PM

276 posts, read 411,951 times
I have a friend that lives downtown and drives as well (to Maywood). Fortunately it worked out for her since she would really drive before and after rush hour. it's not convenient though.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:33 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,145,731 times
Getting from downtown to maywood in car is pretty quick. Considering the expressway is right there.

Public trans? That's tougher.
Ud take the blue line then the bus along madison to first. Then another bus down to loyola.
And that's without knowing the bus schedules. They probably wouldn't mesh well.
Or take blue line then go down harlem instead of madison then another bus on roosevelt to loyola

Old 12-22-2011, 08:45 PM

346 posts, read 424,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Getting from downtown to maywood in car is pretty quick. Considering the expressway is right there.

Public trans? That's tougher.
Ud take the blue line then the bus along madison to first. Then another bus down to loyola.
And that's without knowing the bus schedules. They probably wouldn't mesh well.
Or take blue line then go down harlem instead of madison then another bus on roosevelt to loyola
It's probably only one bus from the Forest Park Terminal. The problem is Pace buses don't run very often. Also you might have a bit of a walk from the bus stop to the exact place you work in the hospital. Expressways aren't always that fast during rush hour, but the last mile is the problem with taking transit for this commute. If you own a car drive, if this is the only reason you would own a car, then the longer commute may be worth the money saved by not owning a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago