U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-29-2011, 04:23 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,627,183 times
Default Chicago Tribune: saw a tabloid &.broadsheet same day

On my brief visit to Chicago in March, I purchased a Tribune in its (spelled right, people,,,not it's!) traditional form, a broadsheet style, like The New Yok Times.

Later that day at the airport, I saw a different style, kind of like a tabloid. Hmm... I'm confused. Is the tabloid an afternoon edition? Only available at the airports, or also the Loop but not available elsewhere?

When did this start?

I like that the Sunday edition is only $2 (or was it even cheaper?). The Boston Sunday Globe is $3.00; the Boston Sunday Herald is $2.00.

Does the Tribune still publish a Sunday magazine insert? The Globe still does.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 04:49 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,847,246 times
I've never seen a tabloid format for the Trib. They no longer do their own weekly magazine section, except for occasional special issues.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:54 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,361,801 times
Could it have been the Red-Eye? Or Sun-Times even?

Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EROne View Post
Could it have been the Red-Eye? Or Sun-Times even?
No, no. I actually bought the Sun-Times tabloid as well. But I bought the Tribune copy at the airport, just because I couldn't believe my eyes that I also saw the regular version that day or the day before.

So weird, I know. Unless someone who flys out of O'Hare regularly may have noticed a different kind of wrap-around front page at that locale, kind of like a tabloid... actually, it was 8 am or so when I bought it, so that eliminates my afternoon edition theory.

Now that I think of it, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review is a broadsheet, but a vending machine downtown I saw carries a PM afternnoon edition if I recall. Again, hmmm...

Old 12-29-2011, 06:53 PM

821 posts, read 1,055,892 times
From 2009 (http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/tribune-to-launch-tabloid-edition-for-newsstands.html - broken link) until a few months ago, the Trib published in both broadsheet and tabloid formats. The tabloids were destined only for newsstands & newsboxes, but sometimes some of the more-numerous broadsheet papers found their way onto newsstands. I think this was a foray into the compact format popular among commuters overseas, without upsetting their broadsheet subscribers, but ultimately I think it was a lot of work for little gain.

The Trib has always been a morning paper, to my knowledge. The Sun-Times did an afternoon wrap for newsstand sales until several years ago. (Years after that was discontinued, I scored a special edition afternoon wrap on the day Blagojevich was indicted. That was fun.)

Old 12-29-2011, 10:49 PM

10,781 posts, read 14,516,391 times
Speaking of Sunday papers are they still sold on street corners?

Old 12-31-2011, 02:26 AM

36,056 posts, read 55,947,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
In boxes, yes. By corner news stands and street vendors... no. They shut down on Sundays.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:15 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,806,386 times
I recall the tribune mentioning they were doing away with the tabloid size.
Seems I recall the subscribers were getting the long version and the tabloid size was sold at boxes etc.

Not sure if it was different in the city or if this just applied to the suburbs.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:17 AM

2,504 posts, read 2,047,825 times
I've only seen the tabloid ones at the airport

Old 01-02-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Gee, when I visited for a quick weekend in late March, I bought the Sunday Tribune from a person on the corner (a black guy who mentioned he was homeless, so I gave him a dolkar tip). It was near the Damon subway, which I guess is near Bucktown and Wicker Park? Please clarify if I'm mistaken.

Just bought a copy of the New England edition of the NYT in Boston -- and the price has jumped from $2 to $2.50! I love newspapers but that's nuts. I do like their website, but still like the feel of the paper and turning pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago