Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 11:42 AM

126 posts, read 244,853 times

Advertisements

Hello-

I am in my early 40s, divorced 2 yrs ago, with 2 sons (19 and 20). I am an Illinois native -grew up in McHenry County, worked in suburban Chicago before moving to Minneapolis in 1995. I currently live in the city of Minneapolis in a SF house and like living in the city as opposed to the suburbs. As my kids are going to be heading out on their own most of the time anyway and I don't have any family in Minnesota I'm starting to think about moving closer to my family and I prefer the Chicago winters to Minnesota winters.

I'm planning to take a longer trip down to check out neighborhoods in a few months, and would love to get some opinions on good areas for me to check out. I'm looking for an age-appropriate area, would probably want to switch to a condo (I like older neighborhoods - my current house was built in 1930), would like to be downtown by public transportation within 30-40 minutes preferably.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 12:23 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Not sure what you are looking for. Older "condo" in Chicago can be anything from a vintage highrise to some converted two-flat.

Is the 30-40 minute commute to "downtown" for work? Or will you again be working in suburban Chicago and want to get "downtown" for "nightlife"???

Old 12-30-2011, 12:33 PM

126 posts, read 244,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Not sure what you are looking for. Older "condo" in Chicago can be anything from a vintage highrise to some converted two-flat.

Is the 30-40 minute commute to "downtown" for work? Or will you again be working in suburban Chicago and want to get "downtown" for "nightlife"???
Commuting downtown for work.

And I'm not generally fond of highrises, but likely a building a bit bigger than a 2-flat.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:39 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
Ravenswood.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:54 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
I am not generally a big fan of Oak Park or Evanston but they do have some older buildings that tend to be less likely to have been "condo-ized" during the boom years and you can still rent for a fair price. There are also stretches of Berwynn where your rental dollar gets a fair bit of space. In all of those towns the OP, whose kids are no longer school age, would have no concerns about the education limitations. There are nice mix of resturants and shop that go along with the older areas and commuting to downtown for work is easy via either Metra of CTA ...

Places inside Chicago might also work, but not as many Metra options.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:34 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
Agree with Ravenswood. Lincoln Square would be further but very nice.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:53 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Anywhere on the N/NW side. Most areas in the city were built up before 1930. There are people your age in all neighborhoods, so I wouldn't worry about that. It depends on how much you want to spend (closer to downtown = more $) and what kind of neighborhood you want to live in (closer to the lake = more densely populated). If I was you, I could picture myself buying a place in Irving Park, Logan Square, or Edgewater, or perhaps McKinley Park on the SW side. Lincoln Square and Ravenswood are nice but are expensive for what you get IMO. Hell, buy in Wicker Park or Lincoln Park if you like the feel there and can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago