Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 04:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Uh, ok. Btw, west of Pulaski is Old Irving, which is the part you say is shady, with all those million dollar homes and everything.

So you might want to explore the area a bit more before giving anyone else advice.
Get south of of Addison though and the quality of the neighborhood falls off pretty rapidly. In all fairness he did mention that the western part of Avondale is shady (a plausible claim), even if he was confused about which neighborhood The Villa is in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 08:00 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Get south of of Addison though and the quality of the neighborhood falls off pretty rapidly. In all fairness he did mention that the western part of Avondale is shady (a plausible claim), even if he was confused about which neighborhood The Villa is in.
Yeah, he also specifically mentioned he was between Irving and Addison, which is why stating everything west of Pulaski is shady was kind of funny.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:09 AM

117 posts, read 302,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Yeah, he also specifically mentioned he was between Irving and Addison, which is why stating everything west of Pulaski is shady was kind of funny.
West of Pulaski (between Irving and Addison) is Schurz High School, which is not a school I'd have liked to attend. I've been there myself a couple of times, and I didn't feel to safe in the neighborhood and school. The situation may have changed though - I've last been there about four years ago. So not everything west of Pulaski is safe.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:02 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvparkrez11 View Post
West of Pulaski (between Irving and Addison) is Schurz High School, which is not a school I'd have liked to attend. I've been there myself a couple of times, and I didn't feel to safe in the neighborhood and school. The situation may have changed though - I've last been there about four years ago. So not everything west of Pulaski is safe.
To be honest I dont think there are many issues with Schurz students, seems like you are making that up. Unlike the area around Lane Tech where students tend to hangout after school (and also Lane Tech students are among the brightest) the area around Schruz is very residential meaning there really is no reason for the students to hang around the area. Most go home or some place else. I mean Lakeview high school is almost just as bad as Schurz yet that doesn't make that part of Lakeview dangerous.

If you feel the area around Schruz is dangerous (Ii don't how you could especially how it's attached to old Irving park) it's prob not because of the students but because of other factors.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
To be honest I dont think there are many issues with Schurz students, seems like you are making that up. Unlike the area around Lane Tech where students tend to hangout after school (and also Lane Tech students are among the brightest) the area around Schruz is very residential meaning there really is no reason for the students to hang around the area. Most go home or some place else. I mean Lakeview high school is almost just as bad as Schurz yet that doesn't make that part of Lakeview dangerous.

If you feel the area around Schruz is dangerous (Ii don't how you could especially how it's attached to old Irving park) it's prob not because of the students but because of other factors.
260 crimes, Addison & Milwaukee, over the last year.

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Publi...-Map/dfnk-7re6

Old 08-26-2012, 01:04 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,138 times
In 1980, I lived in the 3600 block of Tripp (right behind Schurz). That block is as tidy and serene today as it was back then. I think the same can be said for most of the streets east and north of there.

The entire Old Irving area has kept it's character remarkably well. It's one of the few places in Chicago that looks like it did fifty years ago. If somebody ever figures out how to revive the six corners morose commercial district, that whole area will take off.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:54 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
260 crimes, Addison & Milwaukee, over the last year.

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Publi...-Map/dfnk-7re6
That still doesn't prove that Schruz kids are to blame. That map doesn't even clarify what kind of crimes. Murder? Property crime? Car theft? Public urination/intoxication? Prostitution? Drug dealing?

Oh look on the intersection of Belmont Lincoln and Ashland there were 238 crimes, On roscoe and halsted 480! On roscoe and Lincoln 245! Yeah cause well know those are some shady neighborhoods! If the intersection of Milwaukee and Addison is dangerous to you because of 260 crimes in one year, which they are not specified even what type, then boystown must be a warzone with 400+. The six corners at damen and north is even worse at 700. That's be no mans land huh? that map doesn't prove much to be honest.

Are you originally from the burbs?

Old 08-26-2012, 03:43 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,138 times
830 crimes at Clark and Addison, 570 crimes at Clark & Belmont. I guess Wrigleyville has turned into terror town. Funny, but I never even feel remotely intimidated on those streets, day or night.

I mean at worst what's gonna happen to me? A smackdown from one of the Insane Maniac Frat Boys???

Old 08-26-2012, 04:48 PM

If you zoom in to the map, you'll see the individual crimes.

No I'm not from the 'burbs, and I'm telling how safe it felt to me. So don't take it personally.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Uhm... west of Pulaski between Irving Park and Addison sits a whole pile of stately million-dollar-plus homes on double- and triple-size lots in what is probably the most overlooked neighborhood in the entire city. Shurz is on the very western edge of the Irving Park community boundaries and represents a very small section of the community area west of Pulaski. I have to be honest, every time you post about Irving Park it makes me seriously doubt you're actually a resident of the area like your screen name suggests. Even if you are -- no, especially if you are -- jdiddy's right, you need to get out and explore the area more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post

Well it's no Fenger High or anything, but Shurz is still a viper's den, considerably more so than Lakeview. And yeah, the Kilbourn Park area directly adjacent to Shurz is a bit of a basketcase. But the problem area is largely south of Addison, not north. Shurz may be near some tony houses, nobody in those homes are sending their kids to Shurz. I'd send my kid(s) to Lakeview 10 times (as long as they can get into the honor track) before I'd send 'em to Shurz once. In fact the people who live across the street from me bought a two-flat in Lakeview in part so they could send their kids there instead of Shurz.

Last edited by Drover; 08-26-2012 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago