Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 03:55 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
(1)So you want to know where it "stops being "Chicago"" (2)but you're throwing out any official or legal boundaries? (3)The logic fail on this is unbelievable.
1. Yes. Where is it that people draw the line and say, "Nope, I'm too far. I can't say I'm from Chicago."

2. Me personally? No. Other people? They most certainly are. Hop around the forums and read any number of threads to find people from all walks of life making proclamations that boundaries don't matter for this, that, or the other.

"It's the MSA/CSA that counts!!!", or something along those lines will get thrown out into the discussion. So, if it's really only the metro that matters for people (not me) where does this MSA ("Chicago"/Chicagoland/Greater Chicago) end?

3. Believe it. I'm all for set, defined boundaries to define where Chicago ends... Others? Not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 05:37 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,848,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
If city boundaries and limits don't matter with regards to being in "Chicago", how do you know when you are not in "Chicago"? At what point does this happen?
Here, occupy your free time with this train wreck of a thread:

"I'm from Chicago" boundaries

I tell ya, had Al Gore known his invention would be misused in such a fashion as this thread and the one I linked to, he'd have chosen a different career. Like tobacco farming. Or moonshining.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Here, occupy your free time with this train wreck of a thread:

"I'm from Chicago" boundaries
Too late. I already made some posts there. That's why is started this thread.

That thread is talking about when/where someone is "From Chicago", while this one is trying to find where Chicago ends (for the people who don't accept legal boundaries to define where they live).

If it is all context, as another poster has claimed, then "Chicago" ends when it is convenient or beneficial to the person for Chicago to end.

Is this the case?

Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
this one is trying to find where Chicago ends (for the people who don't accept legal boundaries to define where they live).
Again - there's your problem right there.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:20 AM

Here's something that has been on my mind, and I'm curious if this is where the line is drawn:

The Schaumburg Saxons win the State Championship in basketball. They then go on to win the national title.

Rahm Emanuel then has a press conference singing the highest praises for the Saxons bringing the national title to Chicago. He drones on and on about how great the Chicago schools are and holds the Saxons up as the epitome of academics and excellence in Chicago public schools.

Is this where Chicago ends? It ends when outside the legal boundaries of the city, people need to keep the good things they have earned/bought/worked for seperate from the city?

Does it end when people don't want to attribute all their positives to the city, and it begins again when they need all the positives that go along with the city?

What about a sanitation strike? Will people outside the city be as quick to call where they are "Chicago" if the city of Chicago hasn't had the trash picked up in 2 weeks? I don't think most people would like the idea of being in a place that is clean as a whistle, but everyone thinks they live in a trash pit.

Does Chicago end when it starts to bring negatives to the table?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:00 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
If you live in the metro area and are talking to someone who is from the metro area, you will say you're from Chicago if you live in the actual City of Chicago.

If you're in the Midwest, you'd normally just say "I'm from Chicago" or "I'm from just outside/suburbs of Chicago".

If you're in another country, you'd probably just say "I'm from Chicago" if you're anywhere near the metro and it's your main focal point. If you were in Germany and from DeKalb, you might just say "Chicago" because it's easier and to the point.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
The only time I ever said I was from Chicago is when I lived there. I don't and I don't. If I am asked I say I live in Illinois. The only time I name drop is if someone has no clue where Il is. Everyone knows where Chicago is.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 PM

300 posts, read 638,723 times
Default I'll sum it up for ya

Pretty much everyone in Illinois, and everyone in Northwest Indiana is entitled to say "Im from Chicago"

Old 03-23-2012, 09:24 PM

191 posts, read 361,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Pretty much everyone in Illinois, and everyone in Northwest Indiana is entitled to say "Im from Chicago"

jk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago