Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 04:16 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I don't like your choices. So its None of the Above.
Then feel free to give one, or more, choices.

Quote:
Although you would probably just say lazy. But then again, you're the one who thinks its lying.
2+2=4
2+2.1=/=4

Is it close? Without a doubt. But you can never convince the powers and forces that run life that 2+2.1=4

It isn't true. It is false.

Quote:
Unlike you, I travel a lot. I meet strangers all the time...
I'm guessing you shouldn't disregard arrogance as a factor so quickly, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 03:41 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Then feel free to give one, or more, choices.
Convenience. Its a timesaver. A stranger tells me he's from New York. That's all I want to know! I don't care if its the city or a suburb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985
2+2=4
2+2.1=/=4

Is it close? Without a doubt. But you can never convince the powers and forces that run life that 2+2.1=4

It isn't true. It is false.
No idea where you're going with any of that but its your thread, feel free to ramble. No one else is paying attention anymore.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Convenience. Its a timesaver. A stranger tells me he's from New York. That's all I want to know! I don't care if its the city or a suburb!
So, it's laziness then?

Chi-ca-go = 3 syllables
Chi-ca-go-land = 4 syllables
Chi-ca-go-su-burbs = 5 syllables
Chi-ca-go-a-re-a = 6 syllables

How much time do you really save by just saying Chicago? By my estimate, if you gave the "Chicago area" answer, you've saved yourself a whopping half a second.

Maybe it's still arrogance mixed in with laziness, as in, "My time is way too valuable to give this stranger one half of a second more of my time to accurately describe where I live."

Quote:
No idea where you're going with any of that but its your thread, feel free to ramble. No one else is paying attention anymore.
Of course you don't have any idea where I'm going with it because you think Chicago's suburbs are Chicago.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:06 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,289 times
Quote:
So, it's laziness then?

Chi-ca-go = 3 syllables

How much time do you really save by just saying Chicago? By my estimate, if you gave the "Chicago area" answer, you've saved yourself a whopping half a second.

Maybe it's still arrogance mixed in with laziness, as in, "My time is way too valuable to give this stranger one half of a second more of my time to accurately describe where I live."
You're STILL missing the point. When I travel, NO ONE cares if its the city or the suburbs! Only you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985
Of course you don't have any idea where I'm going with it because you think Chicago's suburbs are Chicago.
The irony is especially thick here if you knew what I did for a living.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:07 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Chicago ends at the border of the city. Otherwise Google Maps would get confused.

/End thread.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:05 PM

440 posts, read 534,186 times
When we lived near Lincoln Park, we talked about the burbs, the boonies, and the superboonies. When we visited friends in Darien, I thought we were heading to Iowa. What I tell people now depends on where I am. If I'm in the city, I'll say western suburbs. If I'm in the western suburbs, I'll say the town name. Otherwise, I just say "outside Chicago" and half the time discover the person I'm talking to has relatives in the next suburb over.

This whole thread reminds me of when I lived and worked in the borough of Queens, NYC. When I told coworkers I was going into the city for the weekend (e.g. Manhattan,) they would snippily reply, "You're in the city."

Old 09-08-2014, 10:30 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,668 times
Quote:
So, it's laziness then?

Chi-ca-go = 3 syllables

You don't need to disambiguate the heck outta these terms. It's the vernacular. Does someone living in the City of Chicago need to say "City of Chicago" in order to remove every shred of ambiguity?

Old 09-09-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
You're STILL missing the point. When I travel, NO ONE cares if its the city or the suburbs! Only you.
Here's a story:

Back in college in Indiana my group of friends had a friend who was "from Chicago". He was alright, but he had this one annoying habit. Any chance he could get, he would rip on Indianapolis. How Indianapolis wasn't as cool as his hometown of Chicago. How Indianapolis was terrible for nightlife compared to Chicago. How he could never live in Indianapolis because it just isn't as good as Chicago. Et cetera.

At the time I wasn't too familiar with Chicago and the neighborhoods. But I'm 99% sure that if I would have asked him what neighborhood he was from he would have told me some suburb.

So this guy was being a complete jag anytime Indianapolis or Chicago would come up. That type of thing starts to color your perception of a place, and people that live there. And the thing is, in the 3 years I've lived here and told people where I'm originally from, I've never heard anything negative about Indy (Indiana is a different story, but I agree with those opinions). Only indifference, or a couple positive things about the Circle City.

But here is this guy thinking he's so much better, and so above my hometown, that he put it down any chance he got because he was "from Chicago".

When in reality the suburb he came from is so boring, sterile, and uneventful that he rides on the coattails of the closest big city to deride some place he feels is beneath him. Is Chicago a better city than Indianapolis? Without a doubt. Is some random Chicago suburb better than Indianapolis? No, not at all. Some random suburb with 10,000-100,000 people around Chicago isn't nearly the same quality or caliber of city as Indianapolis… or Columbus, or Kansas City, or St. Louis, or Milwaukee.

And if you and I ever happen to meet up in an airport bar somewhere, and the question, "Where are you from?" pops up, and you say "Chicago", my very next question is going to be, "Me too. What neighborhood do you live in?"

You can tell me Naperville or Schaumburg or Hinsdale or Wilmette, or whatever, and I will then laugh at you and say, "That's not Chicago. That's where people move to to get away from Chicago and the problems in Chicago."

Quote:
The irony is especially thick here if you knew what I did for a living.
And you know what else is funny (not ironic)? Without the suburbs of Chicago, my job wouldn't be as good as it currently is. In fact, the suburbs would be a huge part of my job, no matter what city I lived in.

I do have enough knowledge to know that arbitrary political boundaries have a deep and meaningful impact on cost of living, quality of living, crime rates, government services, etc.

Once again:

2 + 2 = 4
2 + 2.1 =/= 4

Are they really close? Yes.
Are they the same thing? No.

Saying 2 + 2.1 = 4 is lazy… I'm sorry, "Convenient" math, and is really close to being true, but it is in fact not true at all.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
You don't need to disambiguate the heck outta these terms. It's the vernacular. Does someone living in the City of Chicago need to say "City of Chicago" in order to remove every shred of ambiguity?
Maybe?

If everyone in a 75 mile radius of State and Madison says they're from Chicago, it might be helpful.

But in reality, it's probably easier to say "__(neighborhood)__, Chicago"

That cuts the ambiguity right out.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:45 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,339 times
Anyone caught up on whether someone from Naperville says Chicago/Chicago area/around Chicago/Naperville when asked the question of where they're from by a stranger in an airport bar 3000 miles from home is too caught up in their "living in the city" street cred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago