U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,453,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I dropped out of community college and I prefer to express my opinions in the way I think they will be taken the most seriously.

Actually, there is a difference between speaking in a dialect and just simply having bad grammar. The two get confused a lot but they aren't the same thing.
Once again, I stand corrected. The word I was looking for is dialogue. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 08:12 PM

4,111 posts, read 7,635,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
Isn't it important to change their mind set, so they can make a positive contribution to any neighborhood?
What gives you the right to say that your mind set is superior to their mindset? Why should they succeed to your mindset?

I'm sorry but it's been some time since I've read, heard or encountered such a brilliant shining example of what this article is talking about: #62 Knowing what’s best for poor people « Stuff White People Like It's like straight from the pages of this thread. Seriously, I'm not even exaggerating..

"It is a poorly guarded secret that, deep down, white people believe if given money and education that all poor people would be EXACTLY like them. In fact, the only reason that poor people make the choices they do is because they have not been given the means to make the right choices and care about the right things"

Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
What gives you the right to say that your mind set is superior to their mindset? Why should they succeed to your mindset?

I'm sorry but it's been some time since I've read, heard or encountered such a brilliant shining example of what this article is talking about: #62 Knowing what’s best for poor people « Stuff White People Like It's like straight from the pages of this thread. Seriously, I'm not even exaggerating..

"It is a poorly guarded secret that, deep down, white people believe if given money and education that all poor people would be EXACTLY like them. In fact, the only reason that poor people make the choices they do is because they have not been given the means to make the right choices and care about the right things"
Stuffwhitepeoplelike.com? Really? This entire article is loaded with racist remarks. The final paragraph states that poor people do not make decisions based on free will. If that's true, my question is... then what do they base them on?

Old 01-09-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Stuffwhitepeoplelike.com? Really? This entire article is loaded with racist remarks.
The book in the Humor section of every major book store / website is making fun of yuppies, really. If you are offended then yeah, they are prabobly talking about you.

Quote:
The final paragraph states that poor people do not make decisions based on free will. If that's true, my question is... then what do they base them on?
That is not what the article is stating. It's saying the opposite of that, in fact. You need to work on your reading comprehension.

"But it is ESSENTIAL that you reassert that poor people do not make decisions based on free will. That news could crush white people and their hope for the future."

In other words, that's what YOU seem to think and telling you otherwise could crush your hope for reducing crime in bad neighborhoods. I can see how these two sentences alone can be misunderstood but it really isn't hard to understand in the context. Did you skim the article and that's why you objected to the final paragraph?

Last edited by urza216; 01-09-2012 at 09:01 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:

Show me where I said that my mind set was superior to their mind set? You can't, because I didn't say that. Someone made a comment that Mayor Daley made changes to one bad area, by tearing down the projects. My reply to that person was, moving people from a bad neighborhood to YOUR neighborhood is not going to make them better people. CHANGING THEIR MIND SET, or the way they think, will make them better people. I didn't say they had to think like me, or that my mind set is better. What I said was, if people promote crime, they need to change their way of thinking.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:09 PM

I already quoted and replied. I'm not gonna humor you by going back around to that.

Quote:
Show me where I said that my mind set was superior to their mind set? You can't, because I didn't say that. Someone made a comment that Mayor Daley made changes to one bad area, by tearing down the projects. My reply to that person was, moving people from a bad neighborhood to YOUR neighborhood is not going to make them better people. CHANGING THEIR MIND SET, or the way they think, will make them better people. I didn't say they had to think like me, or that my mind set is better. What I said was, if people promote crime, they need to change their way of thinking.
Show me an example of poor people "promoting crime". Or young men in poor neighborhoods "looking forward to being a menace to society".

Added bonus if you can do it WITHOUT quoting a rapper. Uh oh, that's hard

Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 PM

I really don't want this thread to close and/or get ransacked of its posts. Because although I don't necessarily like what the OP is saying, "suggestions on how to reduce crime in bad neighborhoods" is a good thread in and of itself.

My two cents on the subject: We need to get some industry back home from China. Too bad I don't see how this is possibly gonna happen. I know my two cents incites vague sarcasm for some reason but it's my two cents, nonetheless.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
The book in the Humor section of every major book store / website is making fun of yuppies, really. If you are offended then yeah, they are prabobly talking about you.

That is not what the article is stating. It's saying the opposite of that, in fact. You need to work on your reading comprehension.

"But it is ESSENTIAL that you reassert that poor people do not make decisions based on free will. That news could crush white people and their hope for the future."

In other words, that's what YOU seem to think and telling you otherwise could crush your hope for reducing crime in bad neighborhoods. I can see how these two sentences alone can be misunderstood but it really isn't hard to understand in the context. Did you skim the article and that's why you objected to the final paragraph?
I'm I offended? Nah. Is the article racist? Yah. Are you offended? Not sure.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I'm I offended? Nah. Is the article racist? Yah. Are you offended? Not sure.
The book was hilariously written by a nerdy-looking white guy with black rimmed-glasses, a beard, a bicycle and an associates degree. So Chris Rock can talk about black people but "Stuff White People Like" is racist?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:29 PM

So Just1Fan, can you give me ONE example of poor people promoting crime or young men in poor neighborhoods looking forward to being a menace to society WITHOUT quoting a rapper. Just one of each. I can quote rock musicians and say middle class kids love suicide but that's stupid. So without quoting a rapper, can you give me ONE example? Or are you just full of it?

Quote:
It would give many young men something to look forward to, other than being a menace to society.
Quote:
if people promote crime, they need to change their way of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or