Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 PM

72 posts, read 143,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
Copied directly from the CTA website.

Deprecated Browser Error

I'm not sure what you're getting at by assuming the terminology used can distinguish someone who is a native of Chicago vs. a non native. I am not from Chicago, but being car free there, I can navigate Chicago via CTA like it's the back of my hand. For example, overhearing someone on Addison with a thick accent asking for bus directions to Harlem at midnight as most of the white transplants from the rest of the Midwest being asked remain baffled because it's not a stop on the red line; I'm able to provide assistance. Clearly the distinction between "native vs. non-native" to Chicago is a bit more of a distinction between someone who knows the CTA well vs. someone who does not. It has nothing to do with terminology or city of origin.

And I no longer reside in Chicago, but when I did I lived in Lakeview and worked in the medical district. In addition to venturing all over Chicago while I lived there. The only line I've never utilized is the orange line, I've made stops from end to end concerning most of the other lines. And all over the city I've never once heard the "CTA" used to refer exclusively to the L. You don't know what you're talking about.
What I'm arguing is not knowledge of where to get from point A to point B, whereas the differentiation between two technical usages: color line or 'L'. Matters know whether or not you're a transplant from some unknown region or a native Chicagoan, as long as you know your way around and able to provide assistance to others is fine. Terminology usage versus informative knowledge are entirely two different concepts. Anyone could've pulled that information from the website -- literally, anyone could. You don't learn from pulling up the basic concept - any website or Wiki article - you experience it firsthand. It's like some outsider commenting on the circle interchange is called the spaghetti bowl and will constantly insist it is merely because Wiki or some "official" website says so. Moreso, it's like a foreigner correcting a Osakan because he's speaking Kansai-ben and not Tokyo-ben. I've ridden the CTA since I was an adolescent, and experimented with MANY alternative paths to get to MANY different destinations.

Lakeview? Well then, you clearly answered my question. I've noticed most people referring to it as the 'L' reside within the wealthier neighborhoods. Now, I have nothing against you, rather, I like that you've enforced the theory that geographically, most people from neighborhoods such as Edgewater, Lakeview, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park and so constantly refer to it as the 'L'. Whereas, people residing in areas such as Albany Park, Archer Heights, North Lawndale, Little Village, Pilsen, Avondale, and so often refer to it as the "color" line, or unbeknownst by passerby visitors, to "take the CTA "color" line." If you ask someone from Englewood, they'd probably refer to you to take the 'color" line, and not the 'L', albeit both are technically correct in usage, but ... from what I've observed, color line or CTA is often common amongst worker class vs the 'L' is common amongst Midwesterners residing in high grossing neighborhoods. I've been on all the lines; hell ... I've even ridden the pink line on it's opening day back in 2006. Furthermost when it was formerly the Cermak Blue Line. I've lived in 7 different neighborhoods, both on the far ends of the north side and south side.

I've lived in Chicago for atmost the entirety of my life, excepts for the few years I've spent in Tokyo for school, and clearly for you state that I'm speaking hitler esse (nonsense) is barbaric. I've the utmost respect for you seeing how you've been on these boards way longer than I have, but clearly to me you've displayed your lack of distinguishment in terms of regional terminology. Well then, now that've written this poorly constructed paragraph, I'm not stumped as to what we're trying to get it. Anyone can learn how to get from point A to point B, but conceptual usages in reference to these things can easily identify whether one is a native or nonnative; not that it matters, moreso IT IS INTERESTING KNOWING! I was more the less irritated that the girl, tried correcting me. And she seemed like the typical liberal arts college girls with a lefty-perspective. So many of these articles are not even written by natives, moreso tourists or outsiders. I could care less if winners write history, but if you're going to correct me on a subject be prepared to argue using experience and not some random article you immediately google'd. I can link to an infinite amount of articles pertaining to that, and many will state "Locals refer to Chicago's public train system as the 'L'" Surely this reflects on the perspective of the "majority" whom control the information influence, and not common speech. By all means, enlighten me ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 07:00 PM

674 posts, read 1,055,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka_on_the_shore View Post
What I'm arguing is not knowledge of where to get from point A to point B, whereas the differentiation between two technical usages: color line or 'L'. Matters know whether or not you're a transplant from some unknown region or a native Chicagoan, as long as you know your way around and able to provide assistance to others is fine. Terminology usage versus informative knowledge are entirely two different concepts. Anyone could've pulled that information from the website -- literally, anyone could. You don't learn from pulling up the basic concept - any website or Wiki article - you experience it firsthand. It's like some outsider commenting on the circle interchange is called the spaghetti bowl and will constantly insist it is merely because Wiki or some "official" website says so. Moreso, it's like a foreigner correcting a Osakan because he's speaking Kansai-ben and not Tokyo-ben. I've ridden the CTA since I was an adolescent, and experimented with MANY alternative paths to get to MANY different destinations.

Lakeview? Well then, you clearly answered my question. I've noticed most people referring to it as the 'L' reside within the wealthier neighborhoods. Now, I have nothing against you, rather, I like that you've enforced the theory that geographically, most people from neighborhoods such as Edgewater, Lakeview, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park and so constantly refer to it as the 'L'. Whereas, people residing in areas such as Albany Park, Archer Heights, North Lawndale, Little Village, Pilsen, Avondale, and so often refer to it as the "color" line, or unbeknownst by passerby visitors, to "take the CTA "color" line." If you ask someone from Englewood, they'd probably refer to you to take the 'color" line, and not the 'L', albeit both are technically correct in usage, but ... from what I've observed, color line or CTA is often common amongst worker class vs the 'L' is common amongst Midwesterners residing in high grossing neighborhoods. I've been on all the lines; hell ... I've even ridden the pink line on it's opening day back in 2006. Furthermost when it was formerly the Cermak Blue Line. I've lived in 7 different neighborhoods, both on the far ends of the north side and south side.

I've lived in Chicago for atmost the entirety of my life, excepts for the few years I've spent in Tokyo for school, and clearly for you state that I'm speaking hitler esse (nonsense) is barbaric. I've the utmost respect for you seeing how you've been on these boards way longer than I have, but clearly to me you've displayed your lack of distinguishment in terms of regional terminology. Well then, now that've written this poorly constructed paragraph, I'm not stumped as to what we're trying to get it. Anyone can learn how to get from point A to point B, but conceptual usages in reference to these things can easily identify whether one is a native or nonnative; not that it matters, moreso IT IS INTERESTING KNOWING! I was more the less irritated that the girl, tried correcting me. And she seemed like the typical liberal arts college girls with a lefty-perspective. So many of these articles are not even written by natives, moreso tourists or outsiders. I could care less if winners write history, but if you're going to correct me on a subject be prepared to argue using experience and not some random article you immediately google'd. I can link to an infinite amount of articles pertaining to that, and many will state "Locals refer to Chicago's public train system as the 'L'" Surely this reflects on the perspective of the "majority" whom control the information influence, and not common speech. By all means, enlighten me ...
What are you talking about? I don't even think you know anymore with that huge rant on absolutely nothing important or correct.

You keep bring up this girl - who by the way WAS RIGHT. She asked you which 'L' train to use - because the 'L' means the train.

Train = 'L'

'L' = Train

CTA = 'L' or Bus

CTA ≠ 'L' specifically as you initially stated.

Telling/asking which color line to take obviously implies the L/Train because the buses are not color coded. The L obviously refers to the train as well, since the CTA itself (not suburbanites and visitors to Chicago) refers to the train as The 'L'.

Quote:
For example, one girl once asked me "Which L train do I take to get to Logan Square." Not that there's anything wrong in referring it that way, but presumably, in my opinion, CTA seems far more accurate and descriptive in assessing it. She insisted by sticking to referring to it as "the L", but that's her problem and I hope she doesn't spread that ideology of reference. In most cases as I learned, the L is used to refer to the stops within the downtown area. there's nothing much to disagree on, asides from the fact that if you refer them to "taking the CTA," most residents will assume you're speaking of the train. Whereas bus will immediately imply ... well ... the bus.
The highlighted areas of your posts in both quotes above contradict one another.

So once again, referencing your original post on the issue - CTA is the transit operator - not the mode of transit. I.e. bus vs. train/'L'.

If the girl wanted to get to Logan Square via the 'L'/Train then she asked you in the correct manner. Asking how to get there via CTA would leave you open to telling her how to reach Logan Square via a bus route OR the 'L'/train since BOTH are operated by the CTA and is not a mode of transportation in itself. The CTA operates buses and a train, it is not a mode of transit once again. That is the point, end of story.

The "ideology" she's spreading is the standard used by the CTA itself, so I'm not sure what major crime against public transit she's committing. You'd think for someone who's been using public transit in Chicago since they were in their adolescence that they'd at least know what the official terminology is by the CTA - which operates all throughout Chicago by the way, as I'm sure you're aware - not just in the wealthy neighborhoods of Lakeview, Lincoln Park etc. By the way, since when is Edgewater a wealthy neighborhood? I'd say it's definitely a strong middle class neighborhood that's nowhere near the wealth of Lakeview, Lincoln Park or the Gold Coast.

Once again, you don't know what you're talking about and you're only confusing people with this absurd logic that you're correct when official CTA documentation and the rest of the city of Chicago disagrees with you.

The CTA operates both the 'L' = the train, and the bus as well. The bus which by the way, is not elevated. Meaning it wouldn't be called the 'L' - meaning that must be what the train is called. 'L' has nothing to do with the stops only located in the loop or anywhere else. It's the train in general. Granted you've lived in Chicago longer, that does not make you correct in this instance - especially when myself and others who have lived/still live in Chicago call your bluff, even if you have personally discussed the issue with all 9 million people living in Chicagoland. If someone tells me they take the CTA - they took public transit. It does not mean they took the train specifically.

I feel like I've made that distinction forty times.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:15 PM

To refrain from quoting such a huge argument, the "CTA/TRAIN COLOR LINE" is how I referred her to get to her location. Then by my jest, I deliberately invite you to survey a variable group of people as to what they refer it to, by color line or the L. Survey people that aren't ONLINE forums or your friends.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:18 PM

191 posts, read 361,147 times
Quote:
To refrain from quoting such a huge argument, the "CTA TRAIN COLOR LINE" is how I referred her to get to her location. Then by my jest, I deliberately invite you to survey a variable group of people as to what they refer it to, by color line or the L. Survey people that aren't ONLINE forums or your friends.

WHAT?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrawnick View Post

WHAT?
Forgot the forward slash in there. Also, there seems to be a bit misunderstanding hindsightedely. What I've been trying to valve is that it is more common to refer to THE TRAIN besides using the terminology; the 'L'.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:21 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,715 times
Quote:

Train = 'L'

'L' = Train

CTA = 'L' or Bus

CTA ≠ 'L' specifically as you initially stated.
I agree

Old 01-17-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
To refrain from quoting such a huge argument, the "CTA/TRAIN COLOR LINE" is how I referred her to get to her location. Then by my jest, I deliberately invite you to survey a variable group of people as to what they refer it to, by color line or the L. Survey people that aren't ONLINE forums or your friends.
Obviously. Telling her to take "the L" would have been as informative as telling her to take the "public transit" since she'd already asked which specific L train she was supposed to take. I.e., she was waiting for you to tell her which line color and which direction. I don't see what part of this you don't comprehend.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Obviously. Telling her to take "the L" would have been as informative as telling her to take the "public transit" since she'd already asked which specific L train she was supposed to take. I.e., she was waiting for you to tell her which line color and which direction. I don't see what part of this you don't comprehend.
I did tell her which color line to take, but she insisted to correct me by repeating what I told her, except she replaced CTA with the 'L'. By insisting, she implied words such as "oh you mean, not CTA." Perhaps it is my own logic of overanalyzing actions and word play, but nonetheless the equation you stated is correct, minus the last one as you've interpreted from my initial post. I realize now that there is no argument here at all, rather, there's a huge fallacy in misunderstanding my initial post. For that, I apologize, I was wondering what was getting worked up all over.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I did tell her which color line to take, but she insisted to correct me by repeating what I told her, except she replaced CTA with the 'L'. By insisting, she implied words such as "oh you mean, not CTA." Perhaps it is my own logic of overanalyzing actions and word play, but nonetheless the equation you stated is correct, minus the last one as you've interpreted from my initial post. I realize now that there is no argument here at all, rather, there's a huge fallacy in misunderstanding my initial post. For that, I apologize, I was wondering what was getting worked up all over.

So you phrased it as "CTA Blue Line" - then I take it? Alright, that's correct. But the use of the term "blue line" is what implies the use of the train, not the CTA portion. The CTA operates the L which travels along that specific path designated a color. It does not imply that the CTA is the train by any means.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:17 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
There is much to disagree on. The girl who once spoke to you was correct, not you.... CTA does not imply the train as mode of transportation any more than "public transit" does. The L is the train, which is operated by the CTA. Who also operate buses. The L refers to the train in general, it's implied meaning is "elevated" - referring to the train not being underground or at ground level through most of the city....
correct

Quote:
I would advise you to take this route as well. It would be much quicker than waiting for the blue line and then having to go all the way down into the loop, connect at Jackson, wait for a red line train and then ride north again. All buses have a display in the front that will tell you which stop you are getting off at as well as connections. As the post above said, take a 74 (the Fullerton bus) going east. When you hear/see "Sheffield, transfer to Red, Brown and Purple line trains at Sheffield" - exit the bus and take the RED line north (Howard, not 95th) to Loyola.
correct. Fullerton bus is one of the safest. Going downtown is way out of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago