Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 01:56 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,737,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
That was uncalled for. It's called 'blaming the victim.'
What was the OP a victim of, watching drug sells go down? You call that being a victim? All he had to do was mind his business. No one told him to watch what they were doing. First of all, he should've just looked the other way. But no, he was thinking about what he could do to stop 'em. And then, he got paranoid because he thought the drug dealer was a mind reader. Totally understandable. I'd be scared too, if I was starring at a drug dealer/mind reader, while thinking about ratting him out.

Last edited by Just1Fan; 01-18-2012 at 02:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 AM

121 posts, read 216,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
That was uncalled for. It's called 'blaming the victim.'
The original post, from my point of view, read as though the stop should be better because it's located near the university. The stop should be better because people--no matter their social status--deserve to live in a safe neighborhood. The university should be a non-issue.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRise View Post
The original post, from my point of view, read as though the stop should be better because it's located near the university. The stop should be better because people--no matter their social status--deserve to live in a safe neighborhood. The university should be a non-issue.
I see your pov, but I think another legit one is that one would hope/expect that a university with the resources of UC would be trying to make a difference in their community. I know they make some efforts, but they could definitely be doing more. If for no other reason than to redeem themselves for inflicting the Chicago School of Economists on the rest of us.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
What was the OP a victim of, watching drug sells go down? You call that being a victim? All he had to do was mind his business. No one told him to watch what they were doing. First of all, he should've just looked the other way. But no, he was thinking about what he could do to stop 'em. And then, he got paranoid because he thought the drug dealer was a mind reader. Totally understandable. I'd be scared too, if I was starring at a drug dealer/mind reader, while thinking about ratting him out.

How in gods name did you get that from my posts? I wasn't thinking about stopping them, and I certainly wasn't staring at them. Ratting them out? What the hell are you talking about. Drink some coffee and try to simmer that imagination.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I see your pov, but I think another legit one is that one would hope/expect that a university with the resources of UC would be trying to make a difference in their community. I know they make some efforts, but they could definitely be doing more. If for no other reason than to redeem themselves for inflicting the Chicago School of Economists on the rest of us.
The University of Chicago is why Kenmore/ Hyde Park is not a disaster like the surrounding neighborhoods on all three sides. In the 1960s enormous amounts of money were poured into this small area to stabilize it. That money was largely solicited by the University.

Some believe that the money used then in Hyde Park (some of which was allotted to general South Side stabilization by the feds) greatly exceeded its rightful portion and actually reduced stabilization funds from other once-viable South Side neighborhoods (Pullman, Roseland, parts of the old Southwest).

In any case, Hyde Park and Kenwood are a community whose stability is manufactured and closely guarded. The IC/ Metra Electric was likewise designated as the mass transit rail link to serve this stabilized neighborhood.
The el lines west of Hyde Park were never intended to be preserved as part of Hyde Park stabilization. What you see is what you get.

If any gentrification expands from Hyde Park (and I see this as unlikely), it would be north into North Kenwood, to meet the infill happening southward from the Loop. Even so, there are 25+ city blocks of devastation between 47th street and the viable parts of the South Loop.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,124 times
Thought I might add that there was serious talk in the early 1970s to move the University, when it was not clear whether the stabilization plan had worked (it was clear then that South Shore was falling apart, for example) The U of C drew up a plan to relocate to Joliet (!)

Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
The University of Chicago is why Kenmore/ Hyde Park is not a disaster like the surrounding neighborhoods on all three sides. In the 1960s enormous amounts of money were poured into this small area to stabilize it. That money was largely solicited by the University.

Some believe that the money used then in Hyde Park (some of which was allotted to general South Side stabilization by the feds) greatly exceeded its rightful portion and actually reduced stabilization funds from other once-viable South Side neighborhoods (Pullman, Roseland, parts of the old Southwest).

In any case, Hyde Park and Kenwood are a community whose stability is manufactured and closely guarded. The IC/ Metra Electric was likewise designated as the mass transit rail link to serve this stabilized neighborhood.
The el lines west of Hyde Park were never intended to be preserved as part of Hyde Park stabilization. What you see is what you get.

If any gentrification expands from Hyde Park (and I see this as unlikely), it would be north into North Kenwood, to meet the infill happening southward from the Loop. Even so, there are 25+ city blocks of devastation between 47th street and the viable parts of the South Loop.
I don't question your history here, just sayin' it's in UC's long term best interest to help lift up the larger surrounding area so they have more options to grow.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:29 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,434,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I don't question your history here, just sayin' it's in UC's long term best interest to help lift up the larger surrounding area so they have more options to grow.
Hmm, way off topic here. But isn't it in UoC's best interest to DE-stabilize the areas close to them (south of them, in particular), driving down property values and reducing population. This makes it easier for them to expand...

If Woodlawn was to improve and grow, if population along 61st to 63rd was to increase, wouldn't this make it impossible for UoC to grow?

Old 01-18-2012, 01:32 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Hmm, way off topic here. But isn't it in UoC's best interest to DE-stabilize the areas close to them (south of them, in particular), driving down property values and reducing population. This makes it easier for them to expand...

If Woodlawn was to improve and grow, if population along 61st to 63rd was to increase, wouldn't this make it impossible for UoC to grow?
Can you provide sources that the university is actively trying to grow?

My alma mater actively trying to grow. This is evidenced by them strong-arming nearby residents and businesses to sell to them. These issues were discussed in council meetings and followed by subsequent razing/building permits.

I still think westender has the right idea. UC may be one of the best in the country, but the fact that it is surrounded by suck*** on all sides makes it a little less likeable.

I mean, imagine what it would be like if UC was like NU...People are naturally drawn to Evanston due to (in part) the university.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:24 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,434,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Can you provide sources that the university is actively trying to grow?
Are you asking me? I'm not providing sources for anything - I have no idea if UoC wants to grow, and don't really care. If you followed the thread, someone said it would be in UoC's interest to improve their surroundings, in case they want to grow. I was countering that thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I still think westender has the right idea. UC may be one of the best in the country, but the fact that it is surrounded by suck*** on all sides makes it a little less likeable.

I mean, imagine what it would be like if UC was like NU...People are naturally drawn to Evanston due to (in part) the university.
UoC is a completely different type of school than NW, and will never draw the numbers of people as a major Big 10 (B1G) university, no matter where it's located. You can't compare a small, classics-oriented "nerd" type university, with a B10 school. You could put UoC anywhere, and it would still be a small, isolated little school, with people wandering around with their heads down, thinking about stuff...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago