Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:43 AM

27 posts, read 32,016 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Awhile back I posted about the city shutting down 1 or 2 city colleges.
Last weekend, I ran into the person that said that there was a plan in the works to do this, so I asked him about it. He seemed pretty adamant that this is what he had been told by someone with ties into the city workings. He made some good points about the costs to run the schools and the teachers salaries and future pensions. Costs that cannot justified now. Couple that with abysmal graduation rates and what he said of the kids, "learnin' things that don't apply to getting jobs", (he talks a little like a previous mayor - desse, dems and dose) he just might be right. And I know that the city has been losing people for the last 10 or 15 years. So its a dying city in a population way. But he said nothing would be done til 2013. I guess he could be right there too. Mr. Emanuel will be busy with the Occupy people and then the G8 protests. That could get real ugly. Will probably remind many of 1968 Democratic convention.
Its too bad though. I went to a city college for a couple of semesters and transferred credits to a different school to finish up. So it was good for me then. But things change. Heck, I am writing this now because I'm off work today - because there really is no work right now. Well there's plenty time to see what might happen. That's one thing about the future, its always being rewritten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 11:09 PM

674 posts, read 1,050,327 times
It would be very sad to see any of these colleges close. They provide not only hope of a better future, but result in a better future for so many people looking for a good education that's also inexpensive compared to other, unaffordable schools.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:05 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,553,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
It would be very sad to see any of these colleges close. They provide not only hope of a better future, but result in a better future for so many people looking for a good education that's also inexpensive compared to other, unaffordable schools.
But do they really? There's an article today pretty much saying they suck.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:21 AM

29 posts, read 49,365 times
@Vlajos...I would say so. I got my Associate's at a City College. It was very convenient and affordable...especially compared to the other reputable Universities in the area. I am now at Roosevelt for my Bachelor's, which is almost $700 per credit hour and $12,000 per semester full time.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGemini View Post
@Vlajos...I would say so. I got my Associate's at a City College. It was very convenient and affordable...especially compared to the other reputable Universities in the area. I am now at Roosevelt for my Bachelor's, which is almost $700 per credit hour and $12,000 per semester full time.
Good to hear a City College was helpful!

Old 01-19-2012, 01:59 PM

12 posts, read 33,345 times

Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoleo1993329 View Post

thanks

Old 01-19-2012, 11:00 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,408,403 times
I was in CCC for two semesters and transferred to a 4-year, where I am now a few months away from a BS in Chemical Engineering.

I do agree that the CCC system needs repair. It should definitely cater to those seeking a traditional community college ( 2 years or less and then transfer somewhere else), but a student going into a CCC without a direction has a low chance of emerging with one. For that, I think focused career training is a great idea.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:44 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,172,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGemini View Post
@Vlajos...I would say so. I got my Associate's at a City College. It was very convenient and affordable...especially compared to the other reputable Universities in the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I was in CCC for two semesters and transferred to a 4-year, where I am now a few months away from a BS in Chemical Engineering.
Both those stories seem really typical to me.

I was surprised when I heard the report about low graduation rates at CCC this morning - I was surprised they have any concern about graduation rates, and didn't think that many people went to a CCC to graduate. At a few jobs I've had we've paid for CCC classes for good employees with no college experience. Basically classes to improve their writing, math, or basic computer skills so we could promote them out of a really mindless entry level job.

I definitely agree with It'sAutomatic's point about placing more focus on training. They serve that purpose up to a point, but could do a much better job of it. A student going into a CCC (or any college for that matter) without any direction has a low chance of emerging with anything useful. CCC is a very important resource for the city, since outside of working a register there really aren't all that many unskilled jobs anymore. Plus, there are so many dishonest for profit colleges offering bogus training and degrees there is a real need for an affordable alternative.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:54 AM

102 posts, read 330,236 times
I just started going to Harold Washington, and the majority of students I've met say that they're only there to get some credits and then transfer to a four year school without getting their associate's degree. I think this is a common use of community colleges, and at least partly explains the low graduation rates.

As far as quality education goes, it's really too soon to tell for sure, but all of my teachers seem wonderful after the first week. They all seem bright and enthusiastic and I'm excited to keep going back to their classes to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago