U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2012, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Uptown
1,521 posts, read 1,154,377 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
It really depends on what you are use to, but I wouldn't feel safe living there. I'd move east of the park, and I'd still be cautious of my surroundings. Humbolt Park has too many gun crimes and gang issues for my liking. Have you considered near by Logan Square?

people who are looking at apartments such as the one the OP did probably can't afford relatively expensive areas like Logan Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Humboldt Park, Chicago
2,109 posts, read 1,032,961 times
Reputation: 1228
I live east of there, just west of the park, around North ave. and Kedzie, and think it's relatively safe here (On par with the area east of the block, anyways) as this block has improved a bit with community policing/action, and the addition of some less transient residents. Still have petty property crime, graffiti and gang activity still persist (Though much of it seems to have moved south and west)
That said, I would not be comfortable residing west of Kimball, let alone the address you're looking at, because the difference is pretty significant. I went on a daytime walk around there with my brother recently, and while I didn't feel threatened, there were enough shady types/activity around that I didn't feel "safe" either, and that was in broad daylight.
So, no, unless there is some block activism/policing going on that I am not aware of, then I wouldn't rent an apartment there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Chicago
35,926 posts, read 55,214,824 times
Reputation: 24543
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntfly816 View Post
[b]Is this considered a "better" area of Humboldt Park??/B]
No. Heck, that's practically Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 PM
 
2,715 posts, read 1,306,291 times
Reputation: 2440
I wouldn't want to live there. Saw an episode on Gangland, one of the worst gangs are in that area and that was enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:31 PM
 
5 posts, read 5,626 times
Reputation: 10
@Aleking: You are correct. My budget has definatly confined me to what seems to be the less desirable areas of Chicago. I'm using the section 8 program to assist with housing. I'm coming from Missouri, where things seem to be alot different. Section 8 housing here is very scattered, not at all confined to "bad" neighborhoods. I'm noticing when I look for section 8 housing in Chicago, the areas seem to not be so great. I'll be a senior at DePaul and am the parent of a 2 year old daughter, so on campus housing isn't an option. I'm now searching for areas on the east side of humboldt park, and have actually found a few in Rogers Park. Thanks for all the help everybody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Andersonville, Chicago
2,167 posts, read 3,247,256 times
Reputation: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntfly816 View Post
@Aleking: You are correct. My budget has definatly confined me to what seems to be the less desirable areas of Chicago. I'm using the section 8 program to assist with housing. I'm coming from Missouri, where things seem to be alot different. Section 8 housing here is very scattered, not at all confined to "bad" neighborhoods. I'm noticing when I look for section 8 housing in Chicago, the areas seem to not be so great. I'll be a senior at DePaul and am the parent of a 2 year old daughter, so on campus housing isn't an option. I'm now searching for areas on the east side of humboldt park, and have actually found a few in Rogers Park. Thanks for all the help everybody!
Truthfully, I'd rather live in (mostly) any area of Rogers Park if it was a choice along with western parts of Humboldt Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Chicago
35,926 posts, read 55,214,824 times
Reputation: 24543
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Truthfully, I'd rather live in (mostly) any area of Rogers Park if it was a choice along with western parts of Humboldt Park.
Not to mention it'll be a hell of a lot easier to get to DePaul from RP than from the frontier border of Humboldt Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Uptown
1,521 posts, read 1,154,377 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntfly816 View Post
@Aleking: You are correct. My budget has definatly confined me to what seems to be the less desirable areas of Chicago. I'm using the section 8 program to assist with housing. I'm coming from Missouri, where things seem to be alot different. Section 8 housing here is very scattered, not at all confined to "bad" neighborhoods. I'm noticing when I look for section 8 housing in Chicago, the areas seem to not be so great. I'll be a senior at DePaul and am the parent of a 2 year old daughter, so on campus housing isn't an option. I'm now searching for areas on the east side of humboldt park, and have actually found a few in Rogers Park. Thanks for all the help everybody!
This isn't surprising, the board tends to steer everyone to the same half dozen expensive neighborhoods. Since you will be going Sec 8. certainly look in Rogers Park and you might have some luck in Uptown as well, which as mentioned above would be much more convenient to DePaul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Truthfully, I'd rather live in (mostly) any area of Rogers Park if it was a choice along with western parts of Humboldt Park.
Agree minus the mostly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 09:43 AM
lz0
 
Location: Chicago (Lakeview)
34 posts, read 104,258 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not to mention it'll be a hell of a lot easier to get to DePaul from RP than from the frontier border of Humboldt Park.
This. If you're Section 8 and raising a kid alone, why give yourself a terrible commute to school on top of it?

Find somewhere on the north side near the Brown or Red lines and you'll be fine. Just avoid the problem pockets like Uptown etc.

Is there a particular reason you're interested in Humboldt Park? Is your job or family/SO there? Unless you absolutely need to be close to HP for something like that, I'd recommend avoiding the area entirely and choosing a neighborhood with a public transit line to DePaul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Uptown
1,521 posts, read 1,154,377 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by lz0 View Post
This. If you're Section 8 and raising a kid alone, why give yourself a terrible commute to school on top of it?

Find somewhere on the north side near the Brown or Red lines and you'll be fine. Just avoid the problem pockets like Uptown etc.

Is there a particular reason you're interested in Humboldt Park? Is your job or family/SO there? Unless you absolutely need to be close to HP for something like that, I'd recommend avoiding the area entirely and choosing a neighborhood with a public transit line to DePaul.

another poor quality post, problem pockets like Uptown are exactly where she will find Sec 8 apartments. Some people just don't read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:08 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top