Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,439,217 times

Advertisements

Interesting. I used to live in NYC and though it substantially more segregated than Chicago.

You can live just about anywhere in Chicago and not be concerned that you will be the only Hispanic in the zip code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 08:53 PM

771 posts, read 1,386,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Interesting. I used to live in NYC and though it substantially more segregated than Chicago.

You can live just about anywhere in Chicago and not be concerned that you will be the only Hispanic in the zip code.
Not necessarily. The Chicago northside is very diverse and integrated however, the southside is very segregated. In terms of population, both the northside and the southside have similar populations in terms of numbers so I would say Chicago is 50/50. Half of the city is very integrated and diverse and the other half is very segregated.

Also, in the southside you find only really three groups: Blacks, Mexicans and Irish descent. Even the latino population of the southside (which is HUGE) is probably like 95% Mexican.

Now on the northside you have everything.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
Chicago is roughly 1/3rd Hispanic. Pretty much the only parts of Chicago where you'd be anything close to "the only Hispanic in the entire ZIP code" are the neighborhoods that are almost 100% black and a handful of neighborhoods on the fringes of the city or the very inner core of the city that are very white. Most predominantly white neighborhoods also have a substantial Hispanic presence.

With the exception of a substantial PR neighborhood (most of which is not particularly safe), the Hispanic population here is quite different from NYC. It's less Caribbean-based and more continental-based, mostly Mexican with other Centra/South American countries are sporadically represented as well.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,645,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Also, in the southside you find only really three groups: Blacks, Mexicans and Irish descent.

This is one of the most stupid things I've read here. I know many Italians, Poles, Chinese and Lithuanians on the South Side.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:02 PM

72 posts, read 142,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonyRoss View Post
I currently live in Riverdale which is a affluent section of the Bronx. It's mixed, but I would say its probably considered a Jewish neighborhood. I have lived in Manhattan before moving here.

I am not really looking for a Hispanic neighborhood, just somewhere I'd feel comfortable. I guess nowadays that shouldn't be an issue anywhere. I just notice that Chicago neighborhoods have somewhat extreme demographics. It seems like a neighborhood is either mostly white or mostly non-white. Obviously this happens in NYC as well, but there are plenty of neighborhoods where it is not as skewed in one direction.

Honestly, I am just looking for a neighborhood that has a NYC feel within my budget - walkable, trendy, safe, and has things to do.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Riverdale is the area close to Manhattan College? If so, I vaguely remember that area being a bit secluded and with lots of space. You'll probably want to find a house or an apartment someplace in Edgewater or Ravenwoods. Although, I would suggest Ravenswood since it seems to be of similar vicinity as your current area. I'd search for any neighborhood north of Irving Park Rd. Albeit if you're looking for that Brookyln feel I'd highly suggest somewhere near Edgewater or Rogers Park. If you by chance you ever ride the CTA Red line train, travel northbound (Howard) and you'll see what I mean But ... since you're looking for trendy things to do, you'll be a bit far from these things, luckily the train can fix that for you.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:25 AM
lz0

34 posts, read 230,446 times
Bill Rankin's Chicago dots map is pretty eye-opening when it comes to showing racial segregation in Chicago:

radicalcartography

Old 01-21-2012, 07:34 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,455,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonyRoss View Post
Me and my fiance are planning on moving to Chicago later this year for work. We are both of Puerto Rican decent, but born and raised in NYC. Both in our early 30s, with no kids. We are looking to most likely purchase a condo in the 300K-400K range. We have been looking at neighborhoods like Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, etc., and I guess we are looking for something that feels the most like home (NYC). Some place nice, safe, walkable, with decent food and shopping options.

Looking for good suggestions. From what I can tell, Chicago seems to be a bit more segregated (not trying to stir up anything, just giving an outsider's first observation) than NYC. We don't need to live in a Hispanic neighborhood, we just would rather not be the only Hispanics in the entire zip code.

Thanks in advance.
River North. Start with the 60654 Zip Code.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:52 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,954,247 times
I think most of the posters are focusing on the Hispanic aspect and not the professional career aspect. As a professional, I think you'd be comfortable in any of the north side upscale neighborhoods. I think Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park and Bucktown would be neighborhoods that would seem more like NY to me, but I have spent very little time in NY, so I could be wrong. Kafka suggested Ravenswood which I love, Lincoln Square is another great neighborhood (it is further north than Lincoln Park and further west). I don't think you need to worry at all about your ethnicity. Somebody commented that Lakeview is a lot of white frat guys, and that's probably true. It certainly seems to draw that type of crowd on days/nights the Cubs play, so unless you are into that, you'd probably want to avoid the area around Wrigley and look more around Southport. (But you don't have to be Hispanic to not like that kind of crowd.)

Old 01-21-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I think most of the posters are focusing on the Hispanic aspect and not the professional career aspect. As a professional, I think you'd be comfortable in any of the north side upscale neighborhoods. I think Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park and Bucktown would be neighborhoods that would seem more like NY to me, but I have spent very little time in NY, so I could be wrong. Kafka suggested Ravenswood which I love, Lincoln Square is another great neighborhood (it is further north than Lincoln Park and further west). I don't think you need to worry at all about your ethnicity. Somebody commented that Lakeview is a lot of white frat guys, and that's probably true. It certainly seems to draw that type of crowd on days/nights the Cubs play, so unless you are into that, you'd probably want to avoid the area around Wrigley and look more around Southport. (But you don't have to be Hispanic to not like that kind of crowd.)
I think most posters are focusing on neighborhoods that are Hispanic AND Professional. The northside overall is pretty much all professional with pockets here and there that tends to be more working class. The poster made an emphasis on Hispanic professionals, so most of the posters are giving him that. There is nothing wrong with that.

As a Hispanic professional myself, I have no desire to live in Lakeview, just because it is very homogenous and find that I have much less in common with people there. I am not saying that I dislike Lakeview, I think it's a fantastic neighborhood that I frequently visit, but for me places like Logan Square, Wicker Park and Bucktown cater better to me. There are more bars that have Latino crowds as opposed to Lakeview where it tends to be very fratty. Let's be honest how many Latino bars/clubs are in Lakeview or even in Lincoln Park? Or how many Latino restaurants (except for your typical Mexican taco joint, those are just everywhere) are in Lincoln Park and Lakeview? Wicker Park, Bucktown and Logan Square add good diversity and aren't homogenous. They have Latino bars, clubs, restaurants, but also several other types of bars that are fratty, hispter, low key, etc. They are also trendy and professional which is why I believe the OP wants.

I think the neighborhoods that are most like NYC are Wicker Park and Lincoln Park. I don't find Lakeview to by NYCish at all.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
This is one of the most stupid things I've read here. I know many Italians, Poles, Chinese and Lithuanians on the South Side.
Perhaps my comment was a bit ignorant, but you can't argue that the diversity of the southside is nowhere near in comparison to the northside. The hispanic population is overwhelmingly Mexican on the southside, where on the northside it is a little better balanced with Puerto Ricans and Mexicans and a good chunk of Colombians, Cubans, Ecuadorians and other latin american ethinicities. Even the Asian population is far more diverse in the northside than the southside.

With the exception of parts of the southside that touch with the loop area and also Hyde Park, the rest of the southside is very segregated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago