Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 06:54 PM

20 posts, read 28,303 times

Advertisements

Hello! I just have two general questions.

Can you buy CTA passes in Union Station(i plan on just buying a 24-hour pass)? Or is there an area really close to get them?

And is the Loyola red line and Grand red line by the Hilton Garden INN downtown generally safe areas, during the night? And what is the red line like around 11p-12a?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 07:12 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,167 times
The Red Line is generally safe. However, there are isolated incidents. Since you will be traveling late, you may want to sit in the very first car. Many people feel safer as the train operator is at the very front of this car. I've even noticed late at night that this car is much more crowded than the middle and rear and a lot of single women prefer it.

The area around the Hilton Garden Inn on Grand is relatively safe. However, the streets can be sparsely populated late a night on given blocks. Just exercise normal caution. I've never had a problem in this area and it is just a couple of blocks from most fashionable North Michigan Ave.

There is a red line stop that is officially called "Loyola". However, it is much further north on the Red Line in the Rogers Park neighborhood and adjacent to Loyola's Main Campus. That area, Rogers Park, can be hit or miss in terms of safety. However, if you stay close to the Loyola campus it is generally ok.

If you are referring to the more southern Loyola University campus area just off N. Michigan Avenue(which is actually very close to the Chicago Avenue Red Line stop), that is a very safe area for the most part but still exercise normal caution as isolated things happen. You could actually walk from the Hilton Garden Inn on Grand to this smaller Loyola University campus. It is only about 5 blocks. However, if you are going to the main Loyola campus you would board the Red Line train at the Grand stop and take it north to the Loyola stop.

You may not being going to either Loyola campus. But since you mentioned Loyola just wanted to clarify all of that as it can be confusing to first time visitors

Enjoy your trip

Last edited by soulful; 01-20-2012 at 07:30 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 PM

185 posts, read 594,823 times
You cannot buy the one-day (24 hour) pass inside Union Station.
You can buy 3-day and 7-day passes, but not one-day passes.
The idiotic reason is that for the unlimited ride passes, the CTA installed machines that do not accept coins. When the price of the one-day pass went from $5 to $5.75, they removed the one-day passes from the machines.

There are other machines that vend the pay-per-ride cards known as Transit Cards, these do accept coins. All the machines are near the Metra ticket windows.

The nearest place to get a one-day pass is the Walgreens drug store at the corner of Jackson and Wacker. Exit Union Station on Jackson Blvd and walk east across the Chicago River. The Walgreens will be on the corner of Jackson and Waker about half a block after you cross the bridge.
Union Station Chicago to 250 S Wacker LLC - Google Maps

ETA:
I just noticed that the drug stores around Union Station are not open very late (especially weekends).
If you could mention what day of the week and about what time you will be shopping, I could perhaps direct you to a store that is open later.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:28 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,340 times
There's also a CVS about a block to the north of Union Station that also sells passes, at least according to the CTA web site.

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel...retailmap.aspx

Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 PM

674 posts, read 1,055,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andys06 View Post

Can you buy CTA passes in Union Station(i plan on just buying a 24-hour pass)? Or is there an area really close to get them?

And is the Loyola red line and Grand red line by the Hilton Garden INN downtown generally safe areas, during the night? And what is the red line like around 11p-12a?

Thanks!
As another poster said, you cannot purchase a 24 hour pass at Union Station. However, there is a Walgreen's (you can purchase a pass there) one block east of Union station at Jackson and Wacker, it's right on the other side of the bridge. Willis Tower is literally right across the street from it, so keep it in your sights and you can't miss it.

The Red line is extremely safe, it's packed up until around 4 a.m. most nights, and even then it's not absolutely dead.

Loyola is not un-safe by any means, but the neighborhood it's in (Rogers Park (specifically the eastern portion) near the red line can be a little dicey at night sometimes, but during the day I wouldn't have any worries. It is going to be a bit of a journey north though from Grand. Grand however is perfectly safe, even at night - especially the hours you mentioned because it's going to be primarily tourists mixed in with citizens of Chicago from the immediate area (which is very affluent) and right outside of a nice hotel.

Are you planning on taking CTA to your hotel as well? Or will you be using a cab? I'd be happy to give you simple directions on how to reach your hotel as well via CTA if you aren't going to have excessive luggage to carry around in order to save money on cab fare.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:34 PM

20 posts, read 28,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
As another poster said, you cannot purchase a 24 hour pass at Union Station. However, there is a Walgreen's (you can purchase a pass there) one block east of Union station at Jackson and Wacker, it's right on the other side of the bridge. Willis Tower is literally right across the street from it, so keep it in your sights and you can't miss it.

The Red line is extremely safe, it's packed up until around 4 a.m. most nights, and even then it's not absolutely dead.

Loyola is not un-safe by any means, but the neighborhood it's in (Rogers Park (specifically the eastern portion) near the red line can be a little dicey at night sometimes, but during the day I wouldn't have any worries. It is going to be a bit of a journey north though from Grand. Grand however is perfectly safe, even at night - especially the hours you mentioned because it's going to be primarily tourists mixed in with citizens of Chicago from the immediate area (which is very affluent) and right outside of a nice hotel.

Are you planning on taking CTA to your hotel as well? Or will you be using a cab? I'd be happy to give you simple directions on how to reach your hotel as well via CTA if you aren't going to have excessive luggage to carry around in order to save money on cab fare.
Hey thanks! I actually figured it out quite nicely. The hotel I stayed at was right in front of Grand so the Red Line was SO CONVIENT right there. The only thing that still confuses me is getting to Union State besides walking or a cab.

And, I actually stayed in East Rogers park, meet a soon-to-be-roomate there. I'm so confused on this area because I've heard such mixed reviews on the area. One thing I have to say is 80% of the people i've met or spoken with in Chicago are so friendly and helpful. Is this just me being over excited of the area or an actual reality? Can't wait to move in March! LOL

Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Yes, I believe you can obtain the CTA daily passes, and others, inside Union Station. You can also get them at the rapid transit stations nearby.

The Red Line to the North Side is considered very safe to use, at just about any hour of the day or night. You'll find a lot of people on the trains until, say, 1 a.m. On the weekends, it's busy throughout the overnight hours.

The area whee the Hilton Garden Inn is situated is considered a good neighborhood. Just don't stumble around drunk. Anywhere. And you shoudl be fine. Lots of tourists until the wee hours hang out on those streets.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:10 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Hey thanks! I actually figured it out quite nicely. The hotel I stayed at was right in front of Grand so the Red Line was SO CONVIENT right there. The only thing that still confuses me is getting to Union State besides walking or a cab.

And, I actually stayed in East Rogers park, meet a soon-to-be-roomate there. I'm so confused on this area because I've heard such mixed reviews on the area. One thing I have to say is 80% of the people i've met or spoken with in Chicago are so friendly and helpful. Is this just me being over excited of the area or an actual reality? Can't wait to move in March! LOL
Depending upon time of day, there are public transit, bus, options that'll get you to Union Station. At other times you can take a taxi. It'll be maybe a $7 or 8 ride to/from the hotel. Less than $10. Tip is extra.

East Rogers Park is a mixed bag. I think the streets near Loyola are pretty good. I'm surprised only 80% of the people you've met here have been friendly and helpful. I find people in the city to be overwhelmingly positive and willing to assist.

Congratulations on the move.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:15 AM

185 posts, read 594,823 times
Quote:
The Red Line runs underneath State Street. From the corner of Grand and State, walk three blocks east (toward the lake) to Michigan Avenue. Then walk one block south to Illinois.

Wait on the corner for a 151 Sheridan bus to come by. The sign on the front will say "151 Union Station." If you don't have a pass, put $2.25 in the fare box (no change is provided) and just sit down and stay on the bus until the end of the line. It will drop you off right at the door to Union Station. This particular bus route runs 24/7.

You can get there using the Red Line. But you will end up walking about the same distance, just at a different point. If you really want to know: Board a Red Line train southbound (sign says 95th, not Howard). Get off at Jackson. Look for the stairway that goes DOWN in the middle of the platform, go down and through a tunnel. When you come up the other side of the tunnel you will be at the Jackson Blue Line station. Board a train that says Forest Park (not O'Hare). Go two stops to Clinton. Walk up to the street. There will be a sign on the wall of the upper level of the station that points you to Union Station. Then walk about 2.5 blocks north on Clinton to Union Station.

Taking the bus will be a lot easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago