Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 8,715 times

Advertisements

I am a post-grad working to save up money in my goal of relocating to Chicago. I am currently in the process of researching what places would be ideal for someone in their 20's.

In my research I realize there are areas a little more ideal for a family and places more ideal for a student since DePaul University is located in the Lincoln Park Area.

I would like to know what would be some good areas to look at for a 23 year old female without children or pets who has a car.

I appreciate honesty.

Thank you for your time and answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times
People in their 20's love Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park. Cars are not a problem if you don't mind paying for parking (or leaving it on the street). Personally, I am partial to the eastern part of Lakeview and Lincoln Park as you can be very close to the wonderful bike/running trails in the park by the lakefront and also have the hundreds of stores/shops up and down N Clark and N Broadway (from Armitage up to Irving Park). Lincoln Park is the neighborhood immediately south of Lakeview.

There are other cool areas such as Andersonville and Lincoln Square. Both offer neighborhood feels and are very walkable.

It is so hard to say as we have 100's of neighborhoods. However, the ones I have outlined tend to be safe for the most part and full of other 20 somethings.

Good look with your move..

Old 01-23-2012, 12:24 PM

4 posts, read 8,715 times
Thank you for your answer. I just finished reading some of your answers on another post and I think these are some great areas to start my search.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times
creativecarrie. In the neighborhoods I mentioned above, most the of the side street parking requires a sticker from the aldermans office that is given to residents of that particular "zone". This is to prevent non residents from parking on the side streets. On the main streets, such as N. Clark and N Broadway, there is often metered parking so that visitors can enjoy the restaurants and shops.

Anyway, even with the stickered parking some folks don't like to park on the street if they have a really new car. I sold my car as I realized I didn't really need it in Lakeview as everything is so "walkable". There are 3 major supermarkets including a Whole Foods within a block of the corner of W Addison and N Broadway, for example. And the "el" trains running north to south and buses going in all directions including express buses to the Loop/North Michigan Ave shopping areas.

Parking can cost up to 200.00 per month indoors but some apt and condo buildings offer it for 100.00.

The bottom line is that parking is a premium in the more happening neighborhoods. However, if you were to live in Lincoln Square, for example, you can find side street parking a bit easier than in Lakeview or Lincoln Park. And in all these neighborhoods it is pretty easy on weekdays during the daytime. It just gets crazy after 5pm when everyone comes home from work.

Anyway, just thought you might want a bit of info about parking since your post mentioned you thought you'd have a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago