Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:05 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

Casual sex does have its negative affects on who we've become as a nation. Many of these kids have no business having kids. And yes if it wasnt for hot tailed teens running around sleeping with God knows who, alot of ourproblems wouldnt exist. So there is somthing wrong with casual sex and the many that promote the iresponsible behavior. People need to make better choices with their lives. We are all paying the price now. These kids have no male rolemodel to teach them how to be men. As a result young men are getting their visuals from the media instead of home.

OhAcid, you got me going to day. LOL this is a very sensive for me as a black male. It does take a village to raise a family.
You basically made my point, right after poking fun at my post. You know it's true, that a lot of these kids are the result of poor parenting (or no parenting at all), yet you obviously took offense to me saying it how it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 05:20 PM

674 posts, read 1,055,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Hi OhAcid,

I dont usually answer and dialog about my post but this time I have to.

Casual sex does have its negative affects on who we've become as a nation. Many of these kids have no business having kids. And yes if it wasnt for hot tailed teens running around sleeping with God knows who, alot of ourproblems wouldnt exist. So there is somthing wrong with casual sex and the many that promote the iresponsible behavior. People need to make better choices with their lives. We are all paying the price now. These kids have no male rolemodel to teach them how to be men. As a result young men are getting their visuals from the media instead of home.

OhAcid, you got me going to day. LOL this is a very sensive for me as a black male. It does take a village to raise a family.
What does casual sex have to do with having children? One random, unprotected sexual encounter can create a child. If both partners engaging in casual sex are using proper precautions to ensure that a pregnancy does not result then casual sex is just as dangerous as no sex at all. The issue is not rampant sexual behavior, it's rampant, unprotected sexual behavior that spreads both disease and results in unwanted pregnancies. Your assessment of casual sex today turns a blind eye to the casual sex of yesterday. The only difference now as its not 1960 is that if your casual sex ends up getting X girl pregnant Y male isn't socially obligated to marry her. Casual sex isn't something new; it's just something that's not "hush-hush" any longer.

Not having a "male role model" is unfortunate for a family to deal with; but a father is not required to teach right vs. wrong and it's an insult to unwed mothers or mothers who have husbands that die because you're implying that a father is needed to create a well rounded child. That is false.

Many single mothers who have children as a result of unprotected sex that resulted in an unintended pregnancy do a very good job of raising their children; and the presence of a father or the absence of a father has nothing to do with the actions committed by these children upon entering adolescents or adulthood. Wrong vs. right is not a male perspective on life that only a father can supply; it is a universal concept perfectly capable of being presented to children by one parent, and either way it is being ignored by these delinquents who care only about themselves without regard to whomever they are terrorizing/stealing from.

Not only that as well, but what exactly does a father teach to a child about "how to be a man"? That that sounds to me like a rationalization for a father to embody a gender stereotype, not to be a positive influence.

Children grow up without mothers, children grow up without fathers. Some kids have nicer homes and iPods, others do not. You can want what you've never had, but you cannot miss what you never had. If what you are saying was true; people from families with both a mother and a father and a proper upbringing would never commit crime. That is just not true. Committing crime and being a delinquent is still a matter of personal, individual action. Not an issue regarding the presence of a father or father figure.

I am however confused on your mentioning that you're a black man. Does that somehow create a different scenario or mean that this issue is not a sensitive one for someone who is a "insert other race here" man? Not implying anything, I just don't understand what your point is. If it takes a village to raise a family, maybe that family should get its act together.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:48 AM

355 posts, read 1,046,857 times
I don't understand why would maintenance be required to keep the compartments unlocked. Couldn't they just have a master key for all busses and give keys to the fire department? As the end of the article say, fire fighters can easily break into the compartment with their access.

I think it was irresponsible asking maintenance to leave that box unlock. However, I agree that most of the blame should be put on the kids, including pranksters. What the hell are they doing accessing the compartment in the first place?

Old 01-25-2012, 03:23 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,577,681 times
This is such an odd story; I find it hard to believe that four urban terrorists had the brains to pull this off.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:32 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,234 times
The problem with the "It takes a village to raise a child" sound bite is far too many parents seem to reinterpret it as "It's the village's job to raise my child."

Old 01-27-2012, 11:48 AM

117 posts, read 128,665 times
CTA is a major disgrace to the human race.

The kids in Chicago are out of control. They are a sign of what's going on with adults.

Again, Chicago is a filthy disgrace.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:08 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bourgeois View Post
CTA is a major disgrace to the human race.

The kids in Chicago are out of control. They are a sign of what's going on with adults.

Again, Chicago is a filthy disgrace.
That's funny, I kinda feel the same way about you.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:54 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,959,749 times
I'm sorry to hear that you are down on Chicago. If you've been to any other place or just read the news in other major cities you will see the same problems.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:28 AM

588 posts, read 1,799,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
The problem with the "It takes a village to raise a child" sound bite is far too many parents seem to reinterpret it as "It's the village's job to raise my child."
No truer words could be spoken. In one sentence that essentially sums up a major issue with current society. But what's funny is the ones that don't care to raise their own children are often the ones that are most critical of the free services and handouts they receive.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:04 PM
lz0

34 posts, read 231,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
Not having a "male role model" is unfortunate for a family to deal with; but a father is not required to teach right vs. wrong and it's an insult to unwed mothers or mothers who have husbands that die because you're implying that a father is needed to create a well rounded child. That is false.
I absolutely agree that a male caretaker is not needed to produce a well-rounded child, but he still has a point.

Kids will choose role models one way or another. In the absence of positive familial/communal role models, poor youth in ghettos tend to choose bad ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago