U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2012, 04:05 PM
 
2,778 posts, read 5,477,921 times
Reputation: 2017

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yep, I sure do. I single-handedly have the solution that has evaded whole battalions of politicians, bureaucrats, judges, clergy, social activists, community organizations, social service providers, and everyone else in the city and surrounding metropolitan area for well over a century.

I will implement it next Wednesday, and then the following Friday I will fly to Oslo to collect my Nobel prize.
Well the CIA already tried crack-cocaine, so just who the hell are you to think you can do better? Huh, Mr. Know It All?

 
Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Chicago
36,633 posts, read 57,952,168 times
Reputation: 25689
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Well the CIA already tried crack-cocaine, so just who the hell are you to think you can do better? Huh, Mr. Know It All?
I'll let the Nobel Committee explain it.
 
Old 02-16-2012, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Chicago
187 posts, read 177,361 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
I'm so sick of Chicago News Report, the way that racist cesspool fronts as a legit news source is disgusting. Look at the comments on that story...So got damn embarrassing for Chicago. Stop linking to CNR stories, it's pretty much Stormfront.

typical CNR comments from actual link

"
Good for him, we need more like him instead of the many weak feminine men. Why can't black males keep their hands off our females? Are they trying to indirectly say our females are better, thats why they are always chasing ours.
Whats wrong with the white girl. Does she want to be another single poor baby mama in the ghetto? After hes long gone to impregnate someone else and offering no support. Shame on her parents for not raising her better. "


"I have a feeling this didn't really happen. Black people will say/do anything to get money and fame. The kid didnt look beat up at all, and they didn't mention a struggle, so I find it hard to believe they did all that but didn't beat him up too... "

"Only white girls with low self esteem...usually because they are so obese...will do ****s. The first thing any spook who makes a lot of money wants is a white girl...like O.J. "

"As a white female, I don't want to have sex with anyone who has the same color skin as my ****. "
@ these comments.

Jesus.
 
Old 02-16-2012, 11:16 PM
 
668 posts, read 561,070 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
No sensible politician would agree to this, because what you say is incorrect.

Your entire statement is based on an assumption that problems between the races are due to the problems that are endemic within the AA low-income community. If only the low-income AAs would improve their situation, then problems between the races will diminish and eventually disappear.

I have no problem with improving the lot of low-income people in this country - they continually get sh*t kicked on them at every opportunity. Some of the things you suggest, while radical, could very well make a difference in their condition.

However, do I feel that it would make a difference in race relations? Absolutely not. Because NOTHING that Black people do or improve can make any difference in how White people feel about them. Improving race relations cannot be a one-way street, and thinking that the problem is solely due to low-income Blacks, and Whites bear none of the burden, is ridiculous.

Referring to examples from other threads, if White people in Lincoln Park/Lakeview respond negatively to a Black person in their neighborhood (regardless of dress, grooming, and income), if nightclubs refuse entry to Blacks, even though they are dressed identically to their White clients, if White people don't want to socialize with Black people on their equivalent economic level, why would you think addressing problems in the low-income Black community would make any difference in race relations?

Solutions to social problems always start with the man in the mirror...
The reason why white people treat blks on their economic level bad is
because they associate them with the low income AA's they have had bad experiences with, we are alll human being and if one group is more or less, engaged in negative actions people will associate those bad traits with that one group. The low incomes AA's harrasing people on trains and doing flash mobs get all blurred together with the good AA's who just want to live there lives. There is some daylight between say whites and latinos in Chicago,but professional latinos get treated better than professional AA's because white people dont percieve low income latinos as a huge problem in Chicago


if you take low income AA's out of the equations or atleast get their crime stats closer to latinos or whites, white people will have no reason to be afraid of AA's because their experiences with them willl be positive thats
why my economic plan is the only technical soloution to race relations in chicago

Last edited by ptug101; 02-16-2012 at 11:25 PM..
 
Old 02-16-2012, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Chicago
36,633 posts, read 57,952,168 times
Reputation: 25689
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrawnick View Post
@ these comments.

Jesus.
Heh, I'm picturing the director's instructions to this particular actor. "Imagine your mother just announced her engagement to David Duke..."
 
Old 02-16-2012, 11:48 PM
 
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri (tower grove)
3,236 posts, read 2,412,078 times
Reputation: 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
The reason why white people treat blks on their economic level bad is
because they associate them with the low income AA's they have had bad experiences with, we are alll human being and if one group is more or less, engaged in negative actions people will associate those bad traits with that one group. The low incomes AA's harrasing people on trains and doing flash mobs get all blurred together with the good AA's who just want to live there lives. There is some daylight between say whites and latinos in Chicago,but professional latinos get treated better than professional AA's because white people dont percieve low income latinos as a huge problem in Chicago


if you take low income AA's out of the equations or atleast get their crime stats closer to latinos or whites, white people will have no reason to be afraid of AA's because their experiences with them willl be positive thats
why my economic plan is the only technical soloution to race relations in chicago
Thats not correct. Most White people that have the "Lakeview/Lincoln Park syndrome" have not had bad experiences with Black people. Chances are likely they have very little experience with Blacks due to xenophobic teaching they have experienced from grandpa Archie Bunker.

This is why segregation is a bad deal for Chicago and any other city. It breads people into not knowing how to listen and interact with people from a different culture. Many Whites with the "Lakeview/Lincoln Park syndrome" would have the same issue visiting Prince George County Md. or Baldwin Hills Ca.. Its not about income, its about allowing negative stereo types instead of allowing each person to tell their story.
 
Old 02-17-2012, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri (tower grove)
3,236 posts, read 2,412,078 times
Reputation: 2029
One last thing to add. Most Whites that I have ran across in more progressive areas like Hyde Park and Oak Park do not have the same xenophobic induced fears that Ive experienced in Lakeview/Lincoln Park.
 
Old 02-17-2012, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Nort Seid
5,281 posts, read 4,519,362 times
Reputation: 2393
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Thats not correct. Most White people that have the "Lakeview/Lincoln Park syndrome" have not had bad experiences with Black people. Chances are likely they have very little experience with Blacks due to xenophobic teaching they have experienced from grandpa Archie Bunker.

This is why segregation is a bad deal for Chicago and any other city. It breads people into not knowing how to listen and interact with people from a different culture. Many Whites with the "Lakeview/Lincoln Park syndrome" would have the same issue visiting Prince George County Md. or Baldwin Hills Ca.. Its not about income, its about allowing negative stereo types instead of allowing each person to tell their story.
I don't think sweeping generalizations are accurate for a topic this complicated - it depends where & how you were raised, who your parents were friends with, what you read, what media you expose yourself to, etc.

Look at this for example:

Cityscapes: Door shutting on residents of last unrenovated Cabrini-Green row houses

[i]"I'm lost for words," Murry, 25, said one recent afternoon as she strolled with her 2-year-old son down a deserted street of boarded-up apartments. "It's gonna be hard."

The row houses, nestled next to Chicago's dynamic downtown, are all that survive of what was once one of the world's most famous public housing complexes. Now 440 row house units that haven't been remodeled are being closed.

MOD CUT

You don't have to have a racist bone bone in your body to wonder WTH is wrong with a system that has produced a teen who had a kid at age 15, and who then had another one. You can't just chalk it up to segregation - those projects were built after WWII and were originally mixed. I believe the book American Pharaoh mentions that over time the people who got jobs left because your rent was based on your income, so the only people left were those who didn't have a pot to take a whiz in. Throw the temptations of drug dealing and being in the "fast crowd" in with a society that tells kids they should all be wearing Air Jordans and you get nothing but trouble.

Read this for an honest look at the life which destroyed so many young people:

My Bloody Life: The Making of a Latin King by Reymundo Sanchez | Street Gangs Resource Center

It's not individual actions A or B that led to that guy's bad choices, it's a massive societal-wide rot in terms of opportunities for young people, and peer pressure, etc.

And I will tell you from personal experience that people from Cabrini Green and Sedgwick Gardens are most definitely the black people many Lincoln Parkers have first hand experience with - and more problematically, they were often the only black people they regularly encountered.

I went to Oz Park's public day camp as a kid in the early 80s. It was a total mix of every kind of socio-economic and racial group imaginable. I saw a dad take his belt off and give it to a counselor, saying "beat him with this if he gets out of line, that way you can't get in trouble."

Let's just say this was not something I was used to seeing growing up a mile north, and kids got beat by their parents on a regular basis and so loudly you could usually hear it outside.

Last edited by linicx; 02-17-2012 at 11:28 AM..
 
Old 02-17-2012, 09:43 AM
 
30 posts, read 20,895 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
The reason why white people treat blks on their economic level bad is
because they associate them with the low income AA's they have had bad experiences with, we are alll human being and if one group is more or less, engaged in negative actions people will associate those bad traits with that one group. The low incomes AA's harrasing people on trains and doing flash mobs get all blurred together with the good AA's who just want to live there lives. There is some daylight between say whites and latinos in Chicago,but professional latinos get treated better than professional AA's because white people dont percieve low income latinos as a huge problem in Chicago


if you take low income AA's out of the equations or atleast get their crime stats closer to latinos or whites, white people will have no reason to be afraid of AA's because their experiences with them willl be positive thats
why my economic plan is the only technical soloution to race relations in chicago
I am an AA, and have the ability to tell the difference between the typical Lakeview/Lincoln Park fare, and a racist skinhead or whatever the white equivalent of a black thug is. Yet they, (they being yuppies who treat black professionals as if we do drive-bys or participate in flash mobs when we clock out of work) lack the ability to do so? I don't think I am that great of a mind to have amazing discerning capabilities the average human does not possess.
 
Old 02-17-2012, 09:45 AM
 
30 posts, read 20,895 times
Reputation: 42
Please note that I pointed out only folks that behave this way, not the community at-large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top