Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 10:21 PM

4 posts, read 6,398 times

Advertisements

Hello my name is Jan, I am in my early 20's and I will be moving to Chicago in March. I am from the Czech Republic, but I have lived in Florida since summer of 1999. After graduating high school I moved back to Czech Rep for a year but have since returned to the U.S. After returning to FL I have realized I miss Prague and living in an urban city, therefor I have decided to move to Chicago. I do consider myself cultured, I speak 3 languages, play a musical instrument and I follow politics. However, I do not have a mustache and I consider PBRs disgusting. I have a few questions about the city, and I would greatly appreciate any information you guys could give me.

Firstly, which hood to move into. Mostly I am leaning towards West Town. WP or East Village I don't see much difference. I am looking for something urban. I'd like to be close to metro, have local bars and cafes in walking distance. In Prague I had a local cafe right under my apt, it was brilliant. I enjoy going to local shows to see indie bands. Also if anyone is familiar with Cafe Prague, do you know if the transportation would be good from/to WP? Also are these neighborhoods safe? According to living index I found on websites the place seems a bit dangerous, but surfing around forums I do find the opposite info.

I am looking for a studio within 600USD or if I move there with a friend a two bedroom in 1,100 price area. I do have some contacts there through Czech/Polish community so I should have a job when I arrive, however it will be in the construction field so I will be hoping to find something better ASAP. I have experience doing antique restoration in Palm Beach, so I'd like to find something similar or a job as a bartender (no experience). Does anyone know the job outlook in these fields?

Any information you guys could give me would be lovely. I realize there are many topics on the neighborhood subject but I wanted to ask more detailed questions. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read through this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 07:04 AM

337 posts, read 929,829 times
Dobrý den, Jané! Vítám Vás!

(Hi there - I'm a former Chicagoan, lived in Prague for a couple of years, currently live in Moscow)

I hope that people currently living in Chicago can give you more up-to-date information, since I haven't lived there full-time for several years. My impression though, is that you are on the right track. Wicker Park/Bucktown, Ukrainian Village (the whole forming West Town) would probably suit your needs. If you're willing to share with someone, consider also Lakeview or Edgewater, which are on the lakefront, nice but not horribly expensive, but definitely "urban."

Maybe tell me what neighborhood of Prague you lived in, and I'll try to think what part of Chicago is most similar...

Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 AM

Dobrý den, v Praze jsem bydlel asi 3 minuty pěšky od národního muzea ve Vinohradech. Jak tam přiletím tak budu mít kde přespat, tak se potom podivám po chikágu jak tam dorazím. Nejvěčí obavu mám o práci. Nechtěl bych dělat na stavbě moc dlouho, tak doufám že najdu nějákou praci za barem. Přitom bych asi i začal VŠ. Díky moc za info a hodně štěstí v Moskvě, hlavně at' se oteplí co nejdřív.

Also I'd like to add that I will have a place to live upon my arrival, I have a family friend so I will have a chance to have a proper look around Chicago before I choose my next flat. Mostly I wanted to know about the job market. According to data I found on the internet the unemployment is around 9% but surely this varies in the neighborhoods. I'd like to find something behind a bar so I can study durring the day.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:01 PM

337 posts, read 929,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czech39 View Post
Dobrý den, v Praze jsem bydlel asi 3 minuty pěÅ¡ky od národního muzea ve Vinohradech.
Hmm, Vinohrady...nice neighborhood, my office was there (on Sokolská). I lived in Smichov though. If you want that kind of urban ambience, there are plenty of places in Chicago that could provide it. If price is a factor though, I would stick to the areas you've already researched. Places like Lincoln Park and Old Town are probably outside your budget (mind you, I'm just guessing based on years-old experience).

Quote:
Díky moc za info a hodně Å¡těstí v Moskvě, hlavně at' se oteplí co nejdřív.
I hope so too...though it got slightly warmer today

Quote:
Mostly I wanted to know about the job market.
Unfortunately I can't help you here. This is where the current locals should speak out. Anyone?

Old 02-06-2012, 12:04 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I suspect you'll love Chicago, but not to be a Debbie Downer I think it's going to be extremely hard to find a bartending gig if you have no experience bartending.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:49 PM

Thank you for the info guys. Old town will be out of my budget, I think I will try to find something for a good price somewhere in West Town. I don't really mind living just outside of West Town if it is one or two stops away on the L. As I will have a job I will try to start helping out maybe one night/week at some bar and slowly build up networks. Thank you for being realistic Aragx6, this is exactly what I need to know. Note, I do not want to work at some disco, just some local venue where I will mostly be handing out beers.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:39 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czech39 View Post
Hello my name is Jan, I am in my early 20's and I will be moving to Chicago in March. I am from the Czech Republic, but I have lived in Florida since summer of 1999. After graduating high school I moved back to Czech Rep for a year but have since returned to the U.S. After returning to FL I have realized I miss Prague and living in an urban city, therefor I have decided to move to Chicago. I do consider myself cultured, I speak 3 languages, play a musical instrument and I follow politics. However, I do not have a mustache and I consider PBRs disgusting. I have a few questions about the city, and I would greatly appreciate any information you guys could give me.

Firstly, which hood to move into. Mostly I am leaning towards West Town. WP or East Village I don't see much difference. I am looking for something urban. I'd like to be close to metro, have local bars and cafes in walking distance. In Prague I had a local cafe right under my apt, it was brilliant. I enjoy going to local shows to see indie bands. Also if anyone is familiar with Cafe Prague, do you know if the transportation would be good from/to WP? Also are these neighborhoods safe? According to living index I found on websites the place seems a bit dangerous, but surfing around forums I do find the opposite info.

I am looking for a studio within 600USD or if I move there with a friend a two bedroom in 1,100 price area. I do have some contacts there through Czech/Polish community so I should have a job when I arrive, however it will be in the construction field so I will be hoping to find something better ASAP. I have experience doing antique restoration in Palm Beach, so I'd like to find something similar or a job as a bartender (no experience). Does anyone know the job outlook in these fields?

Any information you guys could give me would be lovely. I realize there are many topics on the neighborhood subject but I wanted to ask more detailed questions. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read through this.
You're on the right track in terms of neighborhoods - although finding a 2 BR and splitting w/a friend will be more realistic in the areas you are looking. There aren't many studios in West Town or Wicker Park.

As to the economy, Chicago is similar to the national economy. Things are picking up, even if the pace is slower than it should be. I couldn't tell you what the odds are of getting a bar gig these days - but even in the best of times, if you have no experience you'll probably start out doing other jobs for a while before they'll let you bartend, even in most of the more lowkey places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: