U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2012, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Nort Seid
5,192 posts, read 4,184,788 times
Reputation: 2317
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
These cameras are nothing but a money grab. They are all driven by some company in AZ. Pretty low to use "the kids safety" as a front for an endless cash machine. Many cities/states are fighting back and banning these cameras completely. Chicago should too. LA had the cameras for a while, then discontinued use after they determined they were NOT making money on it. So there you go.
Unfortunately drivers have demonstrated that they won't listen to anything except the depleting of their bank accounts. I'd rather suck up the occasional red light camera ticket than have loads of crazy cops out there, at least the red light tickets don't impact your car insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2012, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
2,283 posts, read 1,568,862 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I know another thread about this is in motion, but I have to ask: How exactly will this create disruptions on major streets?
Many of those speed zones are on major streets where folks are travelling at 35 mph. It's going to be very akward and unnatural to slow down to 20 mph for a block or two. The zones on side streets aren't going to be a huge issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
2,283 posts, read 1,568,862 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Unfortunately drivers have demonstrated that they won't listen to anything except the depleting of their bank accounts. I'd rather suck up the occasional red light camera ticket than have loads of crazy cops out there, at least the red light tickets don't impact your car insurance.

People like you are what's wrong with this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM
 
1,253 posts, read 1,330,473 times
Reputation: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
It's going to be very akward and unnatural to slow down to 20 mph for a block or two.
Like you've always been supposed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Nort Seid
5,192 posts, read 4,184,788 times
Reputation: 2317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
People like you are what's wrong with this city.
LOL - right. As opposed to people who drive recklessly on residential streets. If the City was full of people like me we wouldn't be having this discussion because there wouldn't be enough speeding to justify installing the cameras in the first place.

The relevant saying is "police yourself so the police don't have to."

If you want to get upset, get upset at the knuckleheads who have prompted the cameras - I'm not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Nort Seid
5,192 posts, read 4,184,788 times
Reputation: 2317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Many of those speed zones are on major streets where folks are travelling at 35 mph. It's going to be very akward and unnatural to slow down to 20 mph for a block or two. The zones on side streets aren't going to be a huge issue.
Is there something in the water in your neighborhood that makes understanding the speed limit overly complicated? It's 30. And since that speed limit is a blanket one for all streets, including 4-lane streets like Western, it shouldn't be that hard to deduce that on side streets you should always be going closer to 20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
2,283 posts, read 1,568,862 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Like you've always been supposed to.
I've never gotten a ticket for speeding in a school zone. I also cannot remember the last time I got a ticket for speeding in Chicago off of the expressways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
2,283 posts, read 1,568,862 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Is there something in the water in your neighborhood that makes understanding the speed limit overly complicated? It's 30. And since that speed limit is a blanket one for all streets, including 4-lane streets like Western, it shouldn't be that hard to deduce that on side streets you should always be going closer to 20.
I'm pretty sure that the quality of tap water is the same in both of our neighborhoods. The difference is that you aren't smart enough to see a blatant money grab when it's right in front of your face.

You are a typical Chicagoan though. Your lot will always be ok with anything. That's why this place is a polical cesspool of the lowest order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
2,283 posts, read 1,568,862 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
LOL - right. As opposed to people who drive recklessly on residential streets. If the City was full of people like me we wouldn't be having this discussion because there wouldn't be enough speeding to justify installing the cameras in the first place.

The relevant saying is "police yourself so the police don't have to."

If you want to get upset, get upset at the knuckleheads who have prompted the cameras - I'm not one of them.
Who said anything about driving recklessly? That's another conversation entirely. Anyway, your lot never questions anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
2,283 posts, read 1,568,862 times
Reputation: 1804
Oh, did I mention that hardly any accidents occur in the school speed zones? So, what's the real motive for these cameras? Money! I heard that they tried this crap in LA but it failed. It will probably work here though. The residents are a lot more...accomodating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top