Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:48 PM

25 posts, read 46,229 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone!
My husband is about to look into a job opportunity in this location( West Chicago Avenue) and we never been to Chicago before...so any help is very welcome!We are a family of three ,we do have a 4 year old daughter, so a designated area to a good prek/elementary school would be great as well as being close to my husband possible future work(West Chicago Avenue)-but he is willing to deal with a 30 minute distance each way .We are looking for a 2 to 3 bedroom apartment or town house)-and reasonably safe ...what kind of price range would we be looking into?We really want to be under $1200 a month...
thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 09:46 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,044 times
Where on Chicago Avenue? Chicago Avenue is a main artery that runs all the way from the lakefront to Austin Ave. It runs thru expensive areas, hipster neighborhoods, and some of the worst parts of the city.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Chicago Avenue is 10 miles long. Can you be a little more specific?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:51 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
I'll tell you right now that your husband will have longer than a 30 minute commute if your budget is $1200 and you need a good elementary school.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 PM

178 posts, read 370,892 times
Ya, more info needed. West Chicago Ave. is toooooo vague. Everything west of Chicago and Western starts to get fairly rugged and by the time you get to Chicago and Kedzie.......you are in arguably one of the worst neighborhoods in the country until you get to Austin Ave. and enter Oak Park.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:11 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird4Prez View Post
Ya, more info needed. West Chicago Ave. is toooooo vague. Everything west of Chicago and Western starts to get fairly rugged and by the time you get to Chicago and Kedzie.......you are in arguably one of the worst neighborhoods in the country until you get to Austin Ave. and enter Oak Park.

More west of California really, but everything else is right on.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:43 PM

25 posts, read 46,229 times
Close to N Larrabee street - thanks everyone for replying so fast !

Old 02-13-2012, 08:44 AM

818 posts, read 2,170,904 times
That job location is definitely too far away from the suburban trains. Luckily, it is pretty close to the CTA Brown line which traverses some good family oriented neighborhoods farther north, including Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, and North Center. Since it is still a few blocks walk from the Chicago brown line stop, by the time you get to Lincoln Square, you are approaching that 30 minute maximum for commute time, and might exceed it if you don't live close to the brown line stop. Not sure about the Pre-Ks near the other brown line stops, but I know all of the neighborhoods are safe. However, when you get to Lakeview and Lincoln Park, the neighborhoods are less family oriented and cater more towards recent college grads, and also potentially become too expensive for your needs. So, I would focus on North Center/ Ravenswood/ Lincoln Square near all of the brown line stops from Paulina to Western.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 AM

178 posts, read 370,892 times
That is the River North neighborhood and without even looking at cragislist.......I have a feeling that 1200 is possibly what a one bedroom or studio would go for. I would recommend looking in Uptown for a two bedroom if you have to have a 30 minute commute. I can tell you that there is a good magnet school on Irving Park and Lake Shore Drive called Walt Disney, but I don't imagine that the neighborhood scholls in Uptown are anything special (I could be wrong as I don't have any kids or friends with kids that elementary school age).

Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
That job location is definitely too far away from the suburban trains. Luckily, it is pretty close to the CTA Brown line which traverses some good family oriented neighborhoods farther north, including Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, and North Center. Since it is still a few blocks walk from the Chicago brown line stop, by the time you get to Lincoln Square, you are approaching that 30 minute maximum for commute time, and might exceed it if you don't live close to the brown line stop. Not sure about the Pre-Ks near the other brown line stops, but I know all of the neighborhoods are safe. However, when you get to Lakeview and Lincoln Park, the neighborhoods are less family oriented and cater more towards recent college grads, and also potentially become too expensive for your needs. So, I would focus on North Center/ Ravenswood/ Lincoln Square near all of the brown line stops from Paulina to Western.
I'd second that advice. A 2BR should be no problem in those areas under $1200. For more information about those specific neighborhoods you can ask follow-up questions or do a search of this board -- they come up when folks are looking for relocation advice pretty regularly because they're nice areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago