Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 11:34 PM
jam jam started this thread

2 posts, read 12,957 times

Advertisements

Does any one out there remember the old gourmet grocer in the Loop called Stop and Shop from years ago? They had beautiful produce stacked in papers and imported candy and, if you remember, in a locked glass case canned chocolate covered ants and chocolate covered bees imported from Asia I think. It was in walking distance from what used to be Marshall Fields.
They were a smaller, classier Treasure Island and I think they may have been Italian-owned. Oh well, if you remember the store you don't need all this info.
What I'm trying to find out is if ANYONE remembers a candy that they used to sell. It looked like a small gumdrop (pastel colors coated with sugar crystals) but it was hard and contained liquid. Not a fruit-flavored liquid but "perfumey" liquids like rose and violets. (real sugary hard outside, flower-
flavored liquid inside) It's driving me crazy because no one remembers them. I don't think they were cheap either and I'm sure they were an import. I'd appreciate the info.
Thread about Honey Bear Farm in Wisconsin brought back memories. That was always a popular day trip for Chicagoians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 11,410 times
Default stop & shop remembered

To "jam" My mom and I were just trying to remember the name of the store, we were sure it was "Stop and Shop". My older sister, who worked at Marshall Field's in the early 60's while she was in high school, used to stop there after work and bring home a treat. I can clearly picture the store myself, and being able to shop there, for anything, was always a treat for us. My mom, who is 86, was just today trying to remember some one thing she used to get there when she was downtown. I am sorry, I do not know what candy it is you refer to, but I will pass this on to my sister, who might remember. My mom and I both remember it being very close to Marshall Field's, on an east-west street. All these things have come flooding back with the loss of Marshall Field's. Good luck with your search and I'll ask my sister.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 11,408 times
Default my dad worked there ...

My father worked as a meat cutter for a Stop & Shop in Chicago for many years in the '50s, but I don't recall him telling me it was in the Loop. Then again, I haven't been to Chicago in so long, couldn't tell you what's in or out of it.

Our family relocated to California in the '60s. We made a visit to Chicago in the '80s to visit family, and Stop and Shop was on our list of must-see places. It was still there in 1981. It was downtown, I thought, on State Street or near Marshall Fields. But the funniest thing is that my dad always talked about eating chocolate covered ants. I guess he was allowed to try some of that stuff. Unfortunately, I can't help you with any information about the candy you're mentioning. My father passed away a few years ago, but he always had fond memories of working there.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 25,491 times
Default Remember Stop and Shop

Stop and Shop was located on the North side of Washington St. - 1/2 block west of State Street. My mother and I would often stop and look at all of the items for sale. My grandmother worked at the Boston Store and would often shop there. Sorry I do not recall the hard candies - we would buy the marshmallow stuffed apricots.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 11,150 times
Thx for the Stop & Shop memories! I remember the apricot marshmellows, and vaguely the rose candy. Do any of you remember the reddish pink, black and white boxes that contained goodies such as salted mixed nuts? I think they had a horse and carriage on the top, but I don't know if that's correct. It was a favorite of my grandparents, and I associate the pink boxes with many happy holiday occasions. Anyone else recall this?

Old 04-11-2008, 05:21 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Wow, talk about awaking a dead post!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 10,747 times
To Jam
A company in Italy named Majani has been making those sweets for hundreds of years. They are very expensive but a real treat. I know of rose, violet, coffee. A thin sugar shells surround a liquid. I have sold them in my shop. I have such fond memories of Stop and Shop, and my dad bringing home treats pomegranates, kumquats, Norwegian fiskaballer....

Old 01-11-2009, 09:50 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,933,808 times
Yes I remember Stop and Shop. I used to go their for candied fruits for cakes and such around Xmas. I also remember they had wonderful marzipan. I dearly wish it was still there.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 10,797 times
the address was 16 West Washington

Old 06-15-2009, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 10,955 times
There were two great grocery stores in the Loop. One was Stop and Shop, the other was Hillmans. We grew up on the NW side (Diversey & Cicero) and my aunt worked in the loop. She would bring home treats for us kids. My mother would take us on the "L" a few times every year. St Patricks day and Christmas. I remember the smell of the warm cashews as we walked out of the cold at Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago