U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:44 PM

21,616 posts, read 36,683,059 times

Advertisements

The density of walkable watering holes, comedy clubs and live music/ theatre in Lakeview / Lincoln Park and the broad north lakefront is just off the charts compared to really any other area. I suppose parts of NYC and some college towns compare favorably on an overal per capita basis, but there are parts of Chicago nightlife districts that really look like a compilation of half a dozen Big Ten campuses all stacked into one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 02:57 PM

5,308 posts, read 4,524,701 times
Ultimately, the need for night life should not overwhelm the more important aspects of moving, such as job prospects, cost of living, weather, etc. Chicago certainly has enough nightlife for virtually anyone.

The OP really needs to decide for himself just what exactly is driving this potential move. I really don't get the impression that he's tired of LA, but perhaps I don't really know what the reason is..

Last edited by MassVt; 02-13-2012 at 03:31 PM..

Old 02-13-2012, 03:26 PM

501 posts, read 291,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Ultimately, the need for night life should not overwhelm the more important apsects of moving, such as job prospects, cost of living, weather, etc. Chicago certainly has enough nightlife for virtually anyone.

The OP really needs to decide for himself just what exactly is driving this potential move. I really don't get the impression that he's tired of LA, but perhaps I don't really know what the reason is..
Hey there, I love music but otherwise I'm actually not a real big nightlife/scene type of person, I checked out the northside and wicker park area last time I was back for a visit and it's definitely too immature/hipster in there for my taste. If I moved to Chicago, I would probably find a house/apt in the suburbs close to work.

The thing that's really driving my potential move is the cheaper housing options and better all-around economics compared to So Cal. Being close to home/family members would also be a huge plus. Otherwise, I do enjoy the laid-back California valley life a lot and that's why I'm trying to figure out if I would be able to like and enjoy the Chicago/midwestern life-style.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM

12,062 posts, read 19,064,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
Hey there, I love music but otherwise I'm actually not a real big nightlife/scene type of person, I checked out the northside and wicker park area last time I was back for a visit and it's definitely too immature/hipster in there for my taste. If I moved to Chicago, I would probably find a house/apt in the suburbs close to work.

The thing that's really driving my potential move is the cheaper housing options and better all-around economics compared to So Cal. Being close to home/family members would also be a huge plus. Otherwise, I do enjoy the laid-back California valley life a lot and that's why I'm trying to figure out if I would be able to like and enjoy the Chicago/midwestern life-style.
With traffic in Chicago I often find this is pretty close to impossible. Distances that don't look far at all can be murderous as rush hour. Oak Park would be a good place to start though.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:52 PM

21,616 posts, read 36,683,059 times
Metra can make the commute from a pleasant suburb a little ways out FASTER than the commute from points inside Chicago but suffering with poor CTA service.

I agree tha Oak Park is once such suburb that has decent commuting options to the Loop.

If the OP gets job in the N/NW suburbs (which is probably more vibrant a center for technical employers...) there are good choices out that way too,,like Arlington Heights.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:52 PM

1,323 posts, read 2,381,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post

Hi. Chicago is a great city and you can find all sorts of folks to fit your niche.

Do you know where you might be working? In a suburb? If so, which one?

Old 02-13-2012, 06:15 PM

501 posts, read 291,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
Hi. Chicago is a great city and you can find all sorts of folks to fit your niche.

Do you know where you might be working? In a suburb? If so, which one?
I'm targeting some tech jobs up in Lake Co and a few down around the bollingbrook/burr ridge southwest suburbs.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:11 PM

1,323 posts, read 2,381,357 times
You mentioned you plan to live in a suburb near where you work. Most of those burbs are pretty tame (in my opinion boring) I mean they are basically just like suburbs you would find outside any city in the US. Some of the Lake County burbs along the lakefront are ultra chic/expensive. Others further north aren't so nice in my opinion. Lake County would put you close to your family in Milwaukee..that might be a nice plus.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:50 PM

10,848 posts, read 15,003,530 times
Yes. You will find segregated areas, poor areas, illlegal aliens, people who were taught to hate, the nouveaux riches, and pretentious twits... just like you do in LA and SD. There is nothing new about human nature.

Chicago is smaller and has better transportation than LA. The are more toll roads, freeways, Interstate rioutes, state highways, county roads, city streets, and city boulevards to get where you are going faster and easier, and the COL is cheaper.

I think the Gold Coast and Streeterville are closest to the loop. You can probably find an apartment or loft with a view of the lake easy enough. I have a hunch from your own descriptions you might well like Oak Park. It's mature, diverse, upscale; single professionals and family orientated. Lots of little surprises here. The OP housing center can help you find a place, and usually a short term leases. If you are not in love with Chicago after six months, you probably never will be. Here is a link...
Oak Park Regional Housing Center
Frank Lloyd Wright in Oak Park, Illinois (1889-1909)

Old 02-14-2012, 12:18 AM

2,863 posts, read 1,893,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I have a hunch from your own descriptions you might well like Oak Park.
There hasn't been a single person yet with whom you have not had this hunch. If only Oak Park were big enough to fit the entirety of humanity, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago