Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 02:19 PM

11 posts, read 37,491 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

New to Chicago -- moving from Texas next week. I'm planning on buying most of my furniture for a studio apt in Lakeview from the Ikea store in Schaumburg.

I know they offer a delivery service through a delivery company, but does anyone know if you have to buy the furniture in the store to get the delivery service? Or can you still get delivery if you purchase the furniture online?

I will not have a car, but I'm wondering if renting a zipcar for a day to get things would make sense. Anyone have any experience using them, or buying things from Ikea while living in the city?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 02:44 PM

439 posts, read 950,411 times
Delivery from Schaumburg IKEA to my apartment was $59 flat rate. Not sure of the maximum number of pieces for that price, but I bought about a half dozen including a couch. I do believe you have to purchase the furniture at the store. A few years ago I looked at ordering through the website and shipping for one item was astronomical. FYI, Zipcar and its competitor I-Go are membership based services. So if you want to use that you'll have to join first and then pay per hour. Alternatively there should be bus service out there, I know there is to Woodfield Mall which is nearby.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:44 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,964,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betsyboop09 View Post
Hi all,

New to Chicago -- moving from Texas next week. I'm planning on buying most of my furniture for a studio apt in Lakeview from the Ikea store in Schaumburg.

I know they offer a delivery service through a delivery company, but does anyone know if you have to buy the furniture in the store to get the delivery service? Or can you still get delivery if you purchase the furniture online?

I will not have a car, but I'm wondering if renting a zipcar for a day to get things would make sense. Anyone have any experience using them, or buying things from Ikea while living in the city?

Thanks for your help!
I don't think you can purchase things from IKEA online unless they are being shipped to you.

In your case, I would probably rent a zip car to get out to IKEA and, depending on how large the things you buy are, either drive back in the zip car, or rent one of the vans there. The van rentals are pretty reasonable (starting at $20, I think) and if you go close to the end of the day, the guy there will usually let you keep it basically all night for the single hour price. He's done that for my husband and I twice now.

Another option (may be cheaper) would be to rent one of the trucks from Menard's and use that to go to IKEA and back. The Menard's trucks are $20 an hour, I think, and you have to return it before the store closes at 9:00 pm. The benefit of the Menard's truck is that they are in the city already, so you won't need to be renting two vehicles at an hourly rate.

I've never used IKEA's delivery service because it just seemed expensive in comparison to the vans that are at the store already. That said, I've never had to rent a car to get to IKEA. With that added cost, their delivery service may make more sense.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:04 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,513,065 times
Yeah if it were me (and I've seen a lot of people do it) I'd rent an in-town Uhaul and go load up. Even with mileage and gas you'd be looking at like $40 -- hard to imagine you could get it done any cheaper.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 PM

199 posts, read 616,678 times
I agree. U-Haul.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:34 PM

439 posts, read 950,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiojunkie2006 View Post
I agree. U-Haul.
Only downside is somethings are a bit difficult to load and unload and carry up stairs yourself. The delivery service brought the items right into my apartment.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:47 PM

199 posts, read 616,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
Only downside is somethings are a bit difficult to load and unload and carry up stairs yourself. The delivery service brought the items right into my apartment.
Good point. Looks like the OP is doing it herself.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:48 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,513,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
Didn't even think of that. In which case, the delivery service might well be the way to go.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:19 PM

11 posts, read 37,491 times
Thanks guys -- decided to just get out to Ikea either via bus or zipcar and then get the stuff delivered. I appreciate the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: