Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:10 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,845,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Agreed regarding Citizens United and Lobbyists. And even though I'm an R generally agree with your disdain for Tea Party. They're great about pointing out the problems but generally useless with their remedies.

My comment about the "combine" and unions has to do with how much $ the unions funnel to D candidates who then become beholden to the unions to ensure their job security/re-election. No issue with unions but BIG issue with how large the pensions are and the politicians who agreed to these contracts. 80% of last 4 year average salary? Just look at Quinn's agreement with IL public workers union and the endorsement from them soon after. Or the reluctance to put through reforms.
So there ya go - get the money out of politics and we'll both be happy and everyone will be better off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 02:29 PM

From Alderman Moreno:

CITY COUNCIL REPORT

Yesterday, I voted no on an ordinance proposed by Mayor Emanuel, which would permit debt to the city to be repaid directly from people's State tax refunds.

I felt compelled to vote against this legislation because of its inclusion of uncollected water bills. I spoke with staff of the Mayor about this long before the vote and made my specific objection known.

Parking tickets are one thing- these people broke a rule(s). However, seniors (and others) who literally cannot pay their bills come to my Ward Night, nearly every single week. I wanted this piece of the legislation taken out or, at least, further discussed and amended. It wasn't; so I voted no.

Last night, I was on CLTV's Politics Tonight (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=eqtdhpdab&et=1109316224784&s=5126&e=001 6g6OZ-TJ05-xkDMHlyGjry8U8zOHW1f8g5dLOcaj0qeZ0nCCTYCpXYt4PpUKP S_TntA6fylIV4KyX1vpgYANzHIA2D9hE2ADgfwq1cH-lM5qFzB4y2DGnZK7i7gZsfw_WFZBDTSsVto= - broken link) and asserted these reasons. I spoke to Fox about it and they aired some of my comments on their broadcast too.

Also at Council yesterday, I introduced a Resolution urging (because I couldn't legally enforce) that all jobs created by a $20 million Federal Tiger Grant be used to create jobs for residents of our city. I posted the Press Release and Resolution on my Tumblr blog.

We must take care of our own and strive to give opportunity to those residents who want, and in many cases desperately need, employment.

According to the Illinois Department of Employment Security Chicago-area unemployment is 9.7%. This is nowhere near good enough.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:45 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,078,607 times
Grand standing toady...

How much you wanna bet Proco Joe is on the take???

Old 02-16-2012, 04:31 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,215,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
So there ya go - get the money out of politics and we'll both be happy and everyone will be better off.
Yes, but I think we will see a tattoo free NBA before we see money out of politics..

Old 02-16-2012, 06:04 PM

Stat in the new Harper's:

Percentage of political ad spending during 2010 elections that would have been prohibited before Citizen's United: 72.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:49 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,079,404 times
In all reality wouldnt we all want to see the violators pay instead of taxes being increased?

Fair game and level the playing field.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:35 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,155,406 times
Chicago should not act as a collection agency for a utility company unless it owns 100% of said utility company. However the act of collecting unpaid FINES and FEES due the City is an obligation.

Here's a question for the history buffs? What did NYC gain by breaking up Tammany Hall politics? Would Chicago gain the same?

DC has 55,000 lobbyists on K Street. Where does it state a corporation has the constitutional right to influence a vote via contribution, favor or gift? .You and I can't buy a vote.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
DC has 55,000 lobbyists on K Street. Where does it state a corporation has the constitutional right to influence a vote via contribution, favor or gift? .You and I can't buy a vote.
I don't know much about Tammany, but to your question here, this is exactly what the debate over "corporate personhood" centers on, which is (to be very brief), corporations claim that as persons they are entitled to the Constitutionally protected right of free speech.

That's already a stretch IMO, but the next stretch defies logic for me, which is that being able to donate money in a political context is a form of said protected free speech.

I find that absolutely preposterous. Free speech is exactly what it sounds like, the right to speak as you want without censorship or fear of punishment from a king or other political leader.

Lobbying is a fancy way of saying bribery, and the evidence backing that argument up is miles deep - who gets favorable legislation? Companies that donate money. It's not money changing hands in a bag with a $ sign on it, but the quid pro quo is clear as daylight.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:00 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,079,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Or of a state that is better balanced between liberal and conservative instead of IL being dominated by Chicago Democratic Machine politics

Does that mean it's OK for me to withhold part of my state income tax when the state is over a year behind in paying our local schools? So that I have the money needed to pay the increased property tax multiplier or increased tax levy necessary to make up the shortfall?
Would be nice if the state would get rid of this insane tax multiplier.

Amazes me at how easy it is for a government agencey to raise the multiplier...

Never mind paying my fair share and even a little extra if needed however the agencies whoever sets this multiplier has way to much control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago