Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:53 PM

674 posts, read 1,161,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
Probably a better chance in Winter rather than Spring/Summer. Last thing Landlord's want to do is let a unit sit empty during Winter when there isn't a lot of move in/out activity.
From my experience is that Summer is the time most landlords try to term their leases. That's when there's much more move in/out activity. Not during the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 01:34 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
I see some for just above my price range: Would it be worth it to offer a bid for lower than asking rent price?
In some neighborhoods, it might work. It worked for me in Bridgeport...in December.

But, if you try haggle in hotter neigborhoods in prime rental season, you'll be laughed at and told to GTFO.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:42 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,772 times
This thread makes me feel old.

When I was a young whipper snapper, we had to look in the back of the Reader as soon as it hit the shelf. None of this internet business. Either that or we had to bike around neighborhoods jotting down numbers...or discover a place that was going back onto the market through friends or at a house party. Then we had to walk uphill, both ways, to meet a landlord with a thick Polish or Spanish accent at the local Vienna Beef joint before walking over to see the place.

Seriously though, if you can find a local Polish/Mexican landlord who owns a few buildings, works construction, and puts sweat equity into their places, those guys are the golden ticket. If you pay on time, don't tear a place up, and don't mind dropping by with a 6 pack when they're updating units in your building, those guys will love you for life, and you will feel the same.

I had one of those guys, and I ended up wanting a bigger place. His response: No problem, I just bought a place 3 blocks over. I'm updating it now. Come by tomorrow and tell me what you think and maybe we can make it how you want it (which he did). By the way, my [insanely hot Colombian] wife is bringing over empanadas tomorrow. You want I should ask her to bring you some too?

When my ex-gf moved out, she wanted a place in Ukranian Village. No problem. His brother owned 4 buildings over there and needs good tenants. It took her a while to scrape together money, but once she did, she was out in 2 days.

Admittedly, there can be a slumlord component to that ownership niche too, but if you're good at sniffing slumlords out, you've got yourself a hassle free rental.

None of this is too helpful. Just feeling nostalgic.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:08 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
That's awesome. I wish I had:

1. A landlord like that.
2. An insanely hot Columbian wife
3. Empanadas

Sadly, I have none. (Hope my wife doesn't see this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
This thread makes me feel old.

When I was a young whipper snapper, we had to look in the back of the Reader as soon as it hit the shelf. None of this internet business. Either that or we had to bike around neighborhoods jotting down numbers...or discover a place that was going back onto the market through friends or at a house party. Then we had to walk uphill, both ways, to meet a landlord with a thick Polish or Spanish accent at the local Vienna Beef joint before walking over to see the place.

Seriously though, if you can find a local Polish/Mexican landlord who owns a few buildings, works construction, and puts sweat equity into their places, those guys are the golden ticket. If you pay on time, don't tear a place up, and don't mind dropping by with a 6 pack when they're updating units in your building, those guys will love you for life, and you will feel the same.

I had one of those guys, and I ended up wanting a bigger place. His response: No problem, I just bought a place 3 blocks over. I'm updating it now. Come by tomorrow and tell me what you think and maybe we can make it how you want it (which he did). By the way, my [insanely hot Colombian] wife is bringing over empanadas tomorrow. You want I should ask her to bring you some too?

When my ex-gf moved out, she wanted a place in Ukranian Village. No problem. His brother owned 4 buildings over there and needs good tenants. It took her a while to scrape together money, but once she did, she was out in 2 days.

Admittedly, there can be a slumlord component to that ownership niche too, but if you're good at sniffing slumlords out, you've got yourself a hassle free rental.

None of this is too helpful. Just feeling nostalgic.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:52 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
That's awesome. I wish I had:

1. A landlord like that.
2. An insanely hot Columbian wife
3. Empanadas

Sadly, I have none. (Hope my wife doesn't see this.)
I got two out of three and at least got to see #2. I couldn't complain. That guy was one of the luckiest (and nicest) guys I've ever met. Gorgeous wife. Good living. Maybe a dozen buildings he primarily bought in the 80s. Doing what he loved. He looked like a cross between Juan Valdez and the Dos Equis Man too.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:34 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
So I've lived in Chicago 6 years now, had 4 different apartments, and I'd like to live on my own. Usually I've moved during the summer, but I'm trying to move out of my current place this spring. I don't have a lease at my current residence so I have a window of 1-3 months to move out.

I'm trying to get a 1 bedroom in the $800-1000 range. Nothing huge, but living room big enough for couch, TV, and a small desk for days when I work from home. I'm a guy so I don't need a huge bedroom either or massive closet space. Only thing about me is I don't have a car, rely on public trans, and have bad knees so I need to be within 6 blocks of an El train stop.

I really want a place along the blue line (Wicker Park/Bucktown/Logan Square) as it works best for my commute. I had found a place in bucktown for 850 that was huge but the owners gave the apt to a personal friend eventhough I was first in line, filed all the paperwork, and paid them app fee and sec deposit. I was pretty upset when they screwed me but I'm back to looking again.

I've been using padmapper which helps, but it seems like there's few 1 bedroom apts in those areas. I've used an Apartment Finder before but they increase the price and they try to tell me "oh there's no apts in those areas for that price range". They're wrong, I find those apts all the time, they just get taken too quick, usually right before I get a chance to view it. What are some other approaches to getting a head start on finding a 1 bedroom apartment instead of racing the rest of Chicago to view it and apply?

I see some for just above my price range: Would it be worth it to offer a bid for lower than asking rent price?
I don't have any advice for best strategy, but have you tried looking in Irving Park? My friend used to have a one bed in a courtyard building and I believe he paid $900 for it? It was right near Irving and Pulaski, i.e. right on the blue line.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:44 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
I second the advice to consider Irving Park. You'd still be near the Blue Line and have 24/7 access to Wicker Park/Bucktown whenever you want to go there, and you'd also probably have better luck finding something suitable in your price range that isn't snatched up before you can get to it.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,461 times
I'm familiar with Irving Park and I'm not interested.

I guess I'll just bike around bucktown/wicker park to look for postings. Padmapper is barren and the good ones I've found have been snagged too quickly. I'll see what I can find this weekend on foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago