Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:15 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times

Advertisements

No offense, but to the unknowing, Troy NY is not exactly the Garden of Eden; it has a few decent areas, but it has definately seen better days..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 02:18 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christosNY View Post
There are many condos for sale on realtor.com for under 130k along Lincoln Park, mostly towards Uptown. Is the Uptown area nice?

I lived and still live close to the Margate Park area of Uptown which borders the far northern end of the park.

some quick pros
-sleepy slice of Uptown with very low chance of random crime
-some of the best park access in the city
-great transport options (express buses 147 will get u on the mag mile in 12 minutes, red line access)
-good super market access
-close to great asian food
-convenient to other more expensive/exciting 'hoos (andersonville, lake view)
-affordable
-somerset closed down

Old 03-01-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
No offense, but to the unknowing, Troy NY is not exactly the Garden of Eden; it has a few decent areas, but it has definately seen better days..
yep, I think somewhere like Margate Park would actually be a pleasant step up.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:39 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,685 times
OP. You can find some good deals in Lakeview now for under 130K for a 1 bedroom. Very safe area. Whole Foods and many shops/restaurants. Check out listings on realtor.com for zip code 60657. For example, great listings at 3550 N Lake Shore Dr. and in that area.

Lakeview is quite a lot nicer than most parts of Uptown. All depends on what you want.

Also, a tons of inventory along N. Sheridan Rd in Edgewater neighborhood. Take for example 5455 N Sheridan which is an excellent highrise. Personally, I prefer Lakeview due to the overall amenities of the area. But I've lived in Edgewater and it is just fine (and more diversity which may be appealing).

good luck to you.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:03 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
You can definitely afford a condo at that price. The north side along the lake sounds up your alley, the far north side is great, you could buy a place in Lakeview or Lincoln Park, but 150k won't get you a great place. The neighborhoods from the lake to like a mile past the Ohare blue line (west) are generally considered desirable, though sleepy if you're north of Irving Park Rd. or so.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
OP. You can find some good deals in Lakeview now for under 130K for a 1 bedroom. Very safe area. Whole Foods and many shops/restaurants. Check out listings on realtor.com for zip code 60657. For example, great listings at 3550 N Lake Shore Dr. and in that area.

Lakeview is quite a lot nicer than most parts of Uptown. All depends on what you want.

Also, a tons of inventory along N. Sheridan Rd in Edgewater neighborhood. Take for example 5455 N Sheridan which is an excellent highrise. Personally, I prefer Lakeview due to the overall amenities of the area. But I've lived in Edgewater and it is just fine (and more diversity which may be appealing).

good luck to you.
the assessments on those old high rises are crazy high

Old 03-01-2012, 07:55 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post

This is true, but do note the monthly assessments (condo fees) as well. They can be pretty high in some of the highrises. And if something major needs repairing/replacing/upgrading, you can be socked with some pretty hefty special assessments on top of that as well.

You need to make sure you can afford the monthly mortgage payment and the assessments and the property taxes.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:08 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
This is true, but do note the monthly assessments (condo fees) as well. They can be pretty high in some of the highrises. And if something major needs repairing/replacing/upgrading, you can be socked with some pretty hefty special assessments on top of that as well.

You need to make sure you can afford the monthly mortgage payment and the assessments and the property taxes.
This is exactly my concern.

OP, have you run some numbers to determine what you can afford in rent each month? Given that you seem amenable to renting for a year (and I definitely think that's your best course of action at this point), determining exactly what you can afford in rent will help us all to make better neighborhood suggestions!

Old 03-02-2012, 08:41 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I know that the current glut of distressed condos is creating a situation where owning is less costly than renting especially for those with the cash to buy in buildings with a large number of renters. Low rise and mid rise buildings tend to have modest HOA fees compared to larger buildings and except for the impressive view are generally nice for a given price point.

I don't think great deals are in danger of being all sucked up overnight, but if you spend too much renting you will miss out on the best deals for buying.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:56 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christosNY View Post
I like the idea of being within a couple blocks of Lincoln Park. Are all the areas along the length of the park desirable and safe?

Yes, that whole area is very safe. And while some people are saying you won't find much for 150k that really isn't true. It partially depends on what you want obviously but you can get a perfectly fine 1bed condo for ~150k.

My friend lives in this building and owns a unit. It's right by the park more or less.

2909 N Sheridan Rd APT 903, Chicago, IL 60657 MLS# 07982631 - Zillow

You wont get anything very large, but you can certainly get a decent place in a nice location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago