U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-08-2007, 11:07 AM
TYN TYN started this thread

2 posts, read 3,789 times
Default Moving from chicago to LA

Need some driving directions and tips and also is driving though the mountains that bad any ideas is great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 11:43 AM

35,926 posts, read 55,240,618 times
1) For driving directions, see mapquest.com - I'm not sure what advice you want for driving directions to California from people on a Chicago board.

2) Unless you're driving in winter, there's not really much to driving through mountains except to make sure your brakes are in good working order. Other than that, when the road turns left turn left with it; when it turns right, turn right with it.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:37 PM

2,481 posts, read 8,590,180 times
I'm repeating this from a friend (I have no personal experience with this), there is a north route and south route between the two. The north route is more mountainous and takes you through Denver and the Dakotas. The sourthern route takes you through Missouri, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arizona. It's a lot less mountainous and easier to drive. If you don't have the best car, I would recommend the southern route. Also, just common advice, have your car checked before you leave. Also, stop often if you are moving in the summer to prevent overheating (that just happened to my friend who took the southern route...overheated in new mexico and ended up having about $400 in damage from various things)

Old 09-11-2007, 10:02 AM

41 posts, read 122,679 times
Driving through the mountains isn't bad at all unless you're doing it through a snowstorm. Honestly, just go to Google Maps or Mapquest. It's of course interstate the whole way.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:15 AM

1,464 posts, read 3,643,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYN View Post
Need some driving directions and tips and also is driving though the mountains that bad any ideas is great
Take the 15 north out of LA as if you were going to Vegas to the 40 merge in Barstow and take 40 all the way across to I-35 in OK City then shoot north on I-35 to I-44 (Turner Tpke). Stay on I-44 all the way to St. Louis then merge onto I-55 and take I-55 all the way into Chicago. This way is the least mountainous, best weather, and highest speed limits. All 70+ MPH until IL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago