U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-10-2007, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 22,307 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are not from Illinois. We have a 1-bedroom condo in the city, but desperately need to find a 3-bedroom home within the next year.

Question: If we both work downtown, where can we find a 3 bedroom (under 350,000)?

We don't mind moving to the suburbs, but want to make sure we find a good neighborhood, for raising kids etc. The only places we seem to be able to afford are Naperville or Plainfield.

We've thought of staying in the city, and trying a Single Family home in Portage Park, or, a 3-bed condo in Rogers Park?

Any suggestions!!

P.S. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 01:01 PM

4,981 posts, read 5,777,724 times
Perhaps there are others that can be better to ask.

I'd probably choose Portage Park over Rogers Park, especially if you're looking for a safe area to raise kids in. Portage Park is more single family homes.

Rogers Park may be more exciting, certainly very ethnically diverse. However its very hit or miss with Rogers Park. There are some not so good areas there.

Thats about all I can say. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2007, 01:09 PM

36,415 posts, read 57,359,773 times
I'm kind of deducing that access to downtown for work is an important factor, and my answer is based on that presumption. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me so that I can revise my answer if warranted.

Portage Park is a pretty good neighborhood for the price, though some portions of its southern edge (Belmont Avenue corridor) can be a little bit ragged. I happen to live one neighborhood over (Irving Park) and my neighborhood has essentially the same characteristics. Both have very nice single-family homes on wide lots at reasonable prices (given their location and proximity to downtown anyway) plus lots of classic Chicago bungalos, they are safe and stable neighborhoods, quiet, relatively kid-friendly, and what-not. But the advantage Irving Park has over Portage Park is the Blue Line convenience factor, and consequently there seems to be about a 15% premium on comparable homes in Irving Park versus Portage Park. The only part of Portage Park that has convenient train access is the very northeast corner of it which, depending on which part of that corner, is convenient to the Montrose and Jefferson Park Blue Line L stops and the Jefferson Park and Mayfair Metra stops. The further south and west in Portage Park you live, the more dependent you are on unpredictable buses to make connections to rail lines. With that caveat, it's definitely worth checking out. Other bordering areas with similar characteristics and attributes to Portage Park would be Albany Park/Mayfair, Jefferson Park, and the aforementioned Irving Park.

Meanwhile, have you considered Bridgeport? Right now, as far as city living goes, Bridgeport offers by far the best bang for your buck in terms of price per unit or per square foot (though lots tend to be small), neighborhood quality, and convenience to downtown. It's definitely not a "nightlife" neighborhood, but I figure someone looking to live in Portage Park or Plainfield doesn't really care about that.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:16 PM

Smile Thanks ! ANy other thoughts on Portage Park?

Thanks so much so far for the replies... Very Helpful!

Yes, nightlife is not a concern at all. We'd like a few restaurants within driving distance... but yes, you are right access to the El is much more important!!! If we can get a stop within a few blocks - within walking distance we'll be set!

Thanks for the info on Rogers Park too. Had'nt realized there were some dodgy parts up there.

Any other thoughts on good streets to live in in the areas mentioned?

We had been looking at a few properties on Warwick... but it sounds like it might not be handy to Public Transport (

I guess we really need to get out there and investigate a bit. I am not familiar with Bridgeport at all... will have a look into it.

Thanks so much.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:33 PM

Oh, and Bridgeport.. is that a safe area? I had assumed that it might not be so safe. But really I know nothing about these areas! Thansk for the help.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:35 PM

36,415 posts, read 57,359,773 times
Bridgeport is fine as long as you stay east of Racine. Even west of Racine it's not even close to awful; it's just better to the east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago