Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:53 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,163,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
Also, I wanted to bring up the homeless crazies. I see a ton of them in the neighborhood obviously, and most of them have hospital bracelets on their wrists. Does anyone know what that's about?
Not sure if this is pertinent to your question, but my wife works in a hospital in that area (not specifically in Uptown, but at Irving Park road and Broadway), and according to her they have a revolving door policy for the drug addicts. When they really can't get any money for drugs, they enter, i want o say a 3 day(?) detox unit, where they are fed methadone to keep them placated, then they leave to go back to the drug use, and return the next month. All covered by the state. Wonderful system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 02:22 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,338,264 times
apparently, from what I hear, Uptown is a mecca of SROs, rehab clinics, and shelters that draw in some lovely characters

how much research did you do on this area before moving there?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:50 PM

226 posts, read 381,759 times
^Not enough, thanks a lot Apartment Finders!

Anyways, I was curious b/c if they have medical bracelets they clearly entered a facility...and b/c they're back on the streets they must have been given the 'ok' to leave.

Who the f--- is overseeing this?!

Old 06-22-2010, 03:54 PM

103 posts, read 91,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
apparently, from what I hear, Uptown is a mecca of SROs, rehab clinics, and shelters that draw in some lovely characters

how much research did you do on this area before moving there?
Those characters have to live somewhere. I don't see anyone volunteering their neighborhood for a shelter or a rehab clinic.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:04 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
Quote:
^I absolutely refuse to watch beatings put up on youtube. It's enough for me to know that it happens; it seems sick in itself to be able to sit through watching something like that.

Uptown is really starting to freak me out. Mainly b/c it can seem so safe at times but this stuff is apparently common.

Also, I wanted to bring up the homeless crazies. I see a ton of them in the neighborhood obviously, and most of them have hospital bracelets on their wrists. Does anyone know what that's about?
Where do you live in Uptown? I would definitely not live in the Sheridan/Broadway/Lawrence triangle, or immediately east/west of there.

North of there is better, and then south of Montrose or west of Beacon is decent.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:52 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,102 times
Quote:
Uptown is really starting to freak me out. Mainly b/c it can seem so safe at times but this stuff is apparently common.

Uptown has always had it's share of troubles. I'm told by my Mom that even when she was young she remembers Uptown having a lot of crime, poverty and homeless wandering around. There are many non-profit organizations set up in Uptown to help the Homeless, Needy and Mentally Disabled. Possibly you saw some patients who were capable enough to be trusted to take their meds and go out during the day only to be expected to return to the facilities in the evening.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:34 PM

So I decided to give the new Wilson Yard Target a try today. I've lived here for a few months and have made a conscious effort not to go north of Montrose. I thought I might give it a go since I love Target.

Well, not anymore... I got my wallet stolen right inside the store and they didn't do a thing about it. I had to call 911 myself and it took the cops a half hour to arrive.

Why do people consistently live up to the stereotype? In all honesty, I might as well have expected it.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:42 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,774,945 times
Quote:
So I decided to give the new Wilson Yard Target a try today. I've lived here for a few months and have made a conscious effort not to go north of Montrose. I thought I might give it a go since I love Target.

Well, not anymore... I got my wallet stolen right inside the store and they didn't do a thing about it. I had to call 911 myself and it took the cops a half hour to arrive.

Why do people consistently live up to the stereotype? In all honesty, I might as well have expected it.
Wow, that is crazy. I just went to the new Target last night, and was amazed at how normal the crowd was. It seemed to be attracting a lot of people from further south. The thing that made me nervous was how the parking garage was just open to Sunnyside, and it seemd like anyone could wander in. There are security cameras everywhere down there, but they really need to put a full-time security guard near the entrance.

How did they do it? Picked out of a purse?

Old 07-29-2010, 06:31 PM

It was set on the counter top near the debit machine and I turned around for literally 2 seconds to grab the grocery bags and the people behind me in line took it. Apparently the cashier didn't see it (if she did, she ignored it).

It took me about 10 seconds to realize my wallet was stolen and that it was the teenagers behind me that stole it...as I realized this the teenagers were literally just walking out the door. I understand I shouldn't have set it down, even for a second, but Target did absolutely nothing to assist me afterwards.

I was reading Uptown Update's blog right before I left too. I was wary, but went anyway and have now learned my lesson.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:11 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
I was very surprised how normal that immediate area seems after Target opened. I have already been there twice this week, and I agree with Lookout Kid. The crowd in the store just seemed so.....put together and normal.

It was also strange to now see so much decent street activity along Broadway north of Montrose. It obviously helps that they've rebuilt that entire streetscape along Broadway.

That sucks the person had their wallet stolen - but you have to admit that Target is probably going to be a nice boost to pushing the nice Buena Park auora of Uptown north another block or so.

I'm still almost shocked every time I hear about the shootings and rare murders (like the one last night!) that happen between Lawrence and Montrose. Every time I've been in the area I've seen a lot of sketchy people, but it always seems so crowded and safe to walk around. I wouldn't picture shootings happening along Magnolia or Malden after walking those streets. The housing there is beautiful.

Uptown is just uber funky and out of the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago