U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:24 PM

5,288 posts, read 7,881,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This.

I have a feeling this poster, who appears to live in Avondale, doesn't have a clue about the Red line.
I suspect you folks haven't taken the Red Line in quite some time from anywhere at least south of Addison during rush hour.

You have got to be completely clueless to tell me you think it's functioning well, in terms of being able to meet demand. I ride it regularly Belmont/Loop and v.v. Or rather, I should say I *would* ride it regularly (as opposed to sporadically) as the trains are often so packed it takes 2 or 3 to come before you can get on, and that in turn leads to delays at every stop as people fight to get off the train as well as on.

I've been riding the Red line for 30 - count 'em, THIRTY years. Any of you whippersnappers able to say the same? I'm still waiting for emathias to admit where he lives, he conveniently forgot to answer that little pertinent detail, because of course people who benefited personally from the Brown Line expansion love it. I mean, duh.

now this:

Talking transportation with 48th Ward Alderman Harry Osterman | Grid Chicago

So, talking about the transit, a big issue in your ward must be that the CTA is talking about the possibility of shutting down the stations at Lawrence and Thorndale. What are your thoughts on that?

I’m absolutely opposed to that and will fight it with every ounce of energy. If you look at it historically, going back 30 or 40 years, every five to ten years someone from the CTA proposes to close down Thorndale or Lawrence. Here’s the reality: each of those stations gets about a million riders a year. As the city is trying to grow the use of public transportation, I don’t think it makes sense to close down stations that have a million people a year using them.

Both of those stations are in desperate need of the work that’s going to get done to them. One that renovation goes through I firmly believe that those ride numbers are going to go up. Both of those streets are on commercial districts. Lawrence is in the shadows of the Uptown Theater, the Aragon and the Riviera. We are working very hard to create an entertainment district that’s viable there. That station is at some point in time going to need entrances and exits very similar to at Addison by Wrigley Field where large volumes of people can get on and get off.

Priorities. That's what this is about. And holding the CTA's feet to the fire, and I don't mean janitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 02:46 PM

4,550 posts, read 6,938,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I've been riding the Red line for 30 - count 'em, THIRTY years. Any of you whippersnappers able to say the same? I'm still waiting for emathias to admit where he lives, he conveniently forgot to answer that little pertinent detail, because of course people who benefited personally from the Brown Line expansion love it. I mean, duh.
Where I live or anyone else lives isn't really any of your business. Nothing I've written relies on me experiencing anecdotal incidents, it's all been big-picture statistical and financial analysis, both of which are key components of any efficiency study. For the record, I currently live somewhere that riding either of the Red or the Brown Line at rush hour toward the Loop would frequently require allowing a train or trains to pass. The only other hint you'll get is that I can't ride them from the same station.

I have, in the past, lived in or spent considerable time in, places where the following stations were "my station": Red Clark/Division, Red/Purple Howard, Brown Montrose, Brown Southport, Red/Brown/Purple Belmont, Blue Logan Square, Blue Racine.

In addition, in the course of my travels, I've used the follow stations a lot, just not often at rush hour: Anything in the Loop, Red Chicago, Red Chinatown, Blue Damen/North, Brown Kimball, Red/Brown/Purple Fullerton, Red Berwyn, Red Bryn Mawr, Red Thorndale, Red Loyola, Red Jarvis, Red Sheridan, Orange Halsted, Brown Sedgewick, Brown Irving Park, Brown Diversey.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:14 PM

10,717 posts, read 13,856,748 times
I still don't understand what you actually want done. Demand on the Red line has increased. Supply of track has not. I suggest people not live by the Belmont and Fullerton stop if they don't want crowded trains.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:58 PM

11,288 posts, read 23,234,565 times
Quote:
I still don't understand what you actually want done. Demand on the Red line has increased. Supply of track has not. I suggest people not live by the Belmont and Fullerton stop if they don't want crowded trains.
Those are actually ok for the most part, you can normally squeeze on to most. I feel most sorry for those between Fullerton and Chicago. They are screwed almost every day from what I see.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Hasn't anyone else noticed there are some appalling gaps in CTA service? One of the biggest oversights is a lack of bus service along Clybourn, one of the busiest retail corridors in the city. Yes, I know there are many routes intersecting Clybourn. However, go to Google Earth and measure the distance from the nearest stop to the front door of a shopping center. It will generally be a ¼ mile to a ½ mile. And yes, a ¼ mile usually isn't that far. However, what if you're disabled, or elderly, or have kids, or it's pouring rain, or the ground is covered in ice and snow, or you have lots of shopping bags? What if you're just tired and don't feel like walking an extra half mile (round trip) to go shopping? Also, some of the intersecting routes end service early in the evening, meaning you now have to walk a half mile or more to the nearest bus stop if you actually want to go shopping at night.

And what if you want to visit more then one destination along Clybourn? Let's see, I just need to walk 2 blocks back to North Ave., take the North Ave. bus to Ashland, the Ashland bus to Armitage, the Armitage bus back to Clybourn and walk two blocks north. I had better not be out late though, or I'll miss the last bus on Armitage and half to walk almost a mile back to the next closest stop. Maybe it's me, but I think it would be far more convenient to to be able to just take a bus along Clybourn Ave.
There use to be a bus on Clybourn. It was ended after the area fell to dispair and there weren't any people around to take it anymore. The area has obviously come back up, but the service hasn't.

It's one of those things that needs to be petitioned to the CTA. Not saying it'll happen, but e-mail the CTA and see what they have to say. I've e-mailed them about a dozen things I see are wrong with the system or things where I don't understand the rationale. They've always written back with at least their side of the story.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
There use to be a bus on Clybourn. It was ended after the area fell to dispair and there weren't any people around to take it anymore. The area has obviously come back up, but the service hasn't.

It's one of those things that needs to be petitioned to the CTA. Not saying it'll happen, but e-mail the CTA and see what they have to say. I've e-mailed them about a dozen things I see are wrong with the system or things where I don't understand the rationale. They've always written back with at least their side of the story.
Wow, novel idea to write to CTA and let them know your problem.

Nice work!

Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Wow, novel idea to write to CTA and let them know your problem.

Nice work!
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not! I've actually appreciated their answers. I asked them why the express buses go through the Illinois and Grand intersections getting onto N. Lakeshore instead of just taking the ramp which is situated before those intersections. They say it's because drivers can't see as clearly on that onramp because it enters from the left (on the other side of the bus from the driver) and it's a safety and liability issue. I told them about burnt out lights on the Sheridan station and they wrote back that they'd have someone out there that night to fix them (they did). I wrote them asking why the "next train arriving" screens at Fullerton and Belmont are positioned so you can barely see them unless you're standing in EXACTLY the right spot. They said they've heard that from multiple people and are "investigating". etc, etc, etc.

I know they might not fix everything and many things don't make sense, but I do appreciate the personal response at least!

Old 04-12-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not! I've actually appreciated their answers. I asked them why the express buses go through the Illinois and Grand intersections getting onto N. Lakeshore instead of just taking the ramp which is situated before those intersections. They say it's because drivers can't see as clearly on that onramp because it enters from the left (on the other side of the bus from the driver) and it's a safety and liability issue. I told them about burnt out lights on the Sheridan station and they wrote back that they'd have someone out there that night to fix them (they did). I wrote them asking why the "next train arriving" screens at Fullerton and Belmont are positioned so you can barely see them unless you're standing in EXACTLY the right spot. They said they've heard that from multiple people and are "investigating". etc, etc, etc.

I know they might not fix everything and many things don't make sense, but I do appreciate the personal response at least!
Sorry, no sarcasm in my previous statement.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:19 AM

4,550 posts, read 6,938,012 times
Quote:
I agree, I've had a lot of success emailing the CTA. The CTA gets a bad rap from a lot of people, and the station crews aren't always the most helpful, but whatever group it is who answers the emails seems to actually care about being responsive and helpful.

They're a big organization with a lot of customers and external demands, so obviously they can't do everything people ask them to do, but they've definitely left me with the impression that they are actually trying to do what they can with the resources they have.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:31 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,042,463 times
I still don't know why the CTA isn't doing more about L car designs. The 5000 series was an improvement, but there could be more done to ease overcrowding:

1) Entirely longitudinal seating, not partially.
2) Staggered doors (like those of the R142 in New York)
3) Three doors per car

Now I'm no Chicagoan, but having used the L quite a bit during my time in Chicago those three things seem to be pretty easy fixes. I'm glad to see CTA ridership soaring, but it could be even better. Now if only more of the system could be underground…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or