Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:32 AM

483 posts, read 837,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
U of C does NOT offer an undergraduate business program.
Same for NU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:43 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,956,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I knew several people who went there and loved it. I imagine it's all relative to your expectations and personality type. It's so important to pick a college that fits you.
AGREE! I got my degree from U of C over 20 yrs ago. I loved it, but it certainly doesn't offer a Big 10 type of experience. The influence of frats and sororities was so minimal to be practically nonexistent. At least when I was there, students took some pride in not being typical college kids. Most people were more serious about their studies. At the time I was there, The College was only 20-25% of the entire student population and the remainder were graduate students, so that certainly affects the environment. I know they have increased the size of The College in recent years, so I am unsure what the current ratio of undergrads to grad students is.

I was also accepted at Northwestern and I'm sure it would have been a much different experience, but I don't know if it would have been better or worse for me.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 PM

Thank you to the person who sent me a positive rep comment, you didn't sign your name, so I can't thank you personally.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:45 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,391,021 times
It seems like you haven't done your research. UC is not much of an UG institution, I don't even think it has an UG business program, NW doesn't... Even at the graduate level, neither of these programs are going to take you into their business schools straight out of UG anyway, and you are extremely unlikely to transfer to them, if so you'd probably want to do Econ/Math instead.
People that transfer to NW or UC after 2 years are most likely already at places like Stanford, Cornell, Duke, etc...and just wanted to be back in the Midwest closer to family or similar scenarios.
You will need to have several years of work and upward mobility before applying to their MBA programs, I'm deferring to this as there is no "business" at the UG level. You have a *chance* of transferring to Northwestern, but I'd say you need a 3.8 or higher GPA coming out of your sophomore year, rigorous course load, summer internships, outstanding prof rec's etc.
I would say finish up at DePaul, do your best, work a few years then start trying to apply to their MBA programs (which is probably why you have heard about them)
BTW, DePaul is by no means on the level of UC or NW...not sure why I am seeing that sentiment with posters here. Maybe it has some clout in Chicago and to a lesser extent the midwest, but nowhere else. UC or NW are internationally respected research universities. The caliber of the students is going to be much higher.
UC is generally slightly better than NW as a school overall, but will boil down to a dept level. I went to Northwestern, and was at the top tier of my h.s. My peers in the top of our graduating class went to places like Stanford, Brown, Rice, Davidson, another at Northwestern, and a few upper end state schools just to give you an idea. We were thinking about getting into these places when we were a sophomore in high school, not a sophomore in college. Not to toot my own horn, just trying to give you the reality of what you are attempting to do.
UIUC is a great deal in state and one of the best public research universities in the country, I might look into transfer there from DePaul instead...save some $ for your inevitable MBA debt, and still have some Chicago clout connections. It is a better school than DePaul, and they have a terrific Econ department which will look good for when/if you do your MBA.

Last edited by grapico; 03-16-2012 at 11:11 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 11:46 AM

410 posts, read 488,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
From people I know who went to U of C for undergrad, the undergrad programs are not wonderful and campus life is terrible for undergrads as well (unless that has changed significantly - the people I know who went there went quite some time ago)
Since it's heralded as one of the best universities in the country and in the world I would like to think the undergrad curriculum and its programs have improved.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:13 PM

It was ALWAYS an outstanding school.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:56 PM

410 posts, read 488,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
UC is not much of an UG institution,
LOL what? Did you mean UC isn't much of an UG institution for business? I seriously hope you're coming from a N'western biased.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:12 PM

If you'd read upthread, you would have seen my previous comment that U of C has traditionally been a university with many more graduate students than undergrads. Pretty sure that's what grapico meant. I believe that there are now more undergrads than when I attended, but The College is still relatively small.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:55 PM

968 posts, read 2,650,880 times
Actually, you can ( could) get an undergraduate ( A.B.) degree in Business from U of C ... If one was accepted into the Professional Option Program for the GSB, one spent the 4th Undergrad year in the 1st year of the MBA program; the undergrad degree was then awarded in 'Business' versus whatever the major was before being accepted . I'm not sure if they still have the programs with the GSB and Law ( 'forget about it !!' ) School .. The GSB used to accept about 5 - 10 students into the program every year .

Last edited by snoylekim; 03-16-2012 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,330,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashon View Post
Does U of Chicago or Northwestern U accept students from DePaul?

I am going to be an undergrad at DePaul University studying business, but would like to transfer to Northwestern or even University of Chicago. They have the best Business school in the nation! I am willing to transfer to a higher ranking school for a better chance to get in. I know UC and NU are very competitive, but I have what it takes to be a candidate and get in. I just do not want to be overlooked because DePaul is lower ranking despite having a very good program themselves.

Thank you for all your insight and thoughts. It is very appreciated.
Don't put too much into rankings, or even schools. Studies have shown that they have minimal affect. The reasons that better colleges have better placement and starting salaries is because they draw better students that would have had the same success no matter what college they went to. Most of what you learn is on the job and most of the same companies recruit at all colleges. Example..IF your an accounting major, the prime jobs are with the Big 4 CPA firms, which recruit at all colleges, and they especially love big 10 colleges. Your starting salary will be the same no matter what college you went to. Once you start working you will be judged on your performance, not your college. A few years with a CPA firm is your golden ticket into high level corporate jobs.

After you get a few years of experience, your college won't even matter and employers won't even ask for your GPA. Furthermore, a lot of jobs you will get through networking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago