Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,305 times

Advertisements

If people have watched the news recently, you'd notice the city wide violence that erupted overnight yesterday.

One incident that has me sort of shocked is the shooting of a 19 year old near Devon and Oakley in the West Ridge neighborhood. The kid was shot in the head, and is in critical condition at St Francis hospital. I used to live in the area (Artesian and Rosemont) until about 11 years ago, when I had to move to Dallas for work. The area was always nice, but after last night's violence, I called up my brother who still lives in the area. He actually lives right near where the shooting happened, and he says the area keeps getting more and more gang infested by the day. What is going on over there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 04:56 PM

72 posts, read 142,730 times
Warm"er" weather ...

Old 03-17-2012, 08:39 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,559,490 times
zzzzz

Old 03-17-2012, 09:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themessage View Post
If people have watched the news recently, you'd notice the city wide violence that erupted overnight yesterday.

One incident that has me sort of shocked is the shooting of a 19 year old near Devon and Oakley in the West Ridge neighborhood. The kid was shot in the head, and is in critical condition at St Francis hospital. I used to live in the area (Artesian and Rosemont) until about 11 years ago, when I had to move to Dallas for work. The area was always nice, but after last night's violence, I called up my brother who still lives in the area. He actually lives right near where the shooting happened, and he says the area keeps getting more and more gang infested by the day. What is going on over there?
Didn't you just answer your own question?

When the underclass gets priced out of Wicker Park, then Bucktown, then Logan Square, then parts of Humboldt Park, and now Avondale, where do you think they go?

Old 03-17-2012, 09:07 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,182,325 times
you just anserwed your own question but i think this guys wants an actual explanation.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:33 AM

43 posts, read 80,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Didn't you just answer your own question?

When the underclass gets priced out of Wicker Park, then Bucktown, then Logan Square, then parts of Humboldt Park, and now Avondale, where do you think they go?
Is this actually happening? Why not go to even cheaper neighborhoods?

Old 03-18-2012, 04:04 AM

338 posts, read 924,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themessage View Post
The area was always nice, but after last night's violence, I called up my brother who still lives in the area. He actually lives right near where the shooting happened, and he says the area keeps getting more and more gang infested by the day. What is going on over there?
Puzzling and depressing. I used to attend a writers' group in West Ridge. It was a solid middle-class area with lots of attractive houses and streets, and kind of a sleepy "traditional suburb" feel.

I doubt the "underclass priced out" explanation. I don't think the area is cheap enough for that, and it always looked like the kind of place where people looked out for each other and took care of their property. That said, I don't have an explanation of my own.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uffthefluff View Post
Is this actually happening? Why not go to even cheaper neighborhoods?
Because the even cheaper neighborhoods tend to already have well-established gangs. It's easier to set up shop in a neighborhood where there won't be much pushback.

For what it's worth, West Rogers Park didn't seem particularly nice 11 years ago either. Not that it was a hellhole then nor is it now, but contrary to your brother's assertion it doesn't seem like the fundamental character of the neighborhood has changed that much. But then, I don't live there so maybe your brother knows better.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:45 PM

400 posts, read 952,555 times
Quote:
Because the even cheaper neighborhoods tend to already have well-established gangs. It's easier to set up shop in a neighborhood where there won't be much pushback.

For what it's worth, West Rogers Park didn't seem particularly nice 11 years ago either. Not that it was a hellhole then nor is it now, but contrary to your brother's assertion it doesn't seem like the fundamental character of the neighborhood has changed that much. But then, I don't live there so maybe your brother knows better.
Its true that some people are being priced out of other neighborhoods,
included "east" or just "regular" Rogers Park (the eastern portion) little by little. Clark and Ashland adjacent is more problematic now, but still improving.
Gang loitering is not being tolerated on Morse. Its over. You can see
better coverage at Craigs new blog.

Now in Rogers Park.

West Ridge is MORE patchy than regular Rogers Park,
and Devon adjacent tends not to such a great area, more apts for sure.
Indian Boundary Park is a nicer area.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:43 PM

183 posts, read 336,950 times
Quote:

Having owned a condo on Hoyne S of Devon, I agree West RIDGE wasn't particulary nice 11 years ago, indeed. Nor has it been "middle class" suburban ish for decades. However, this is not true of West ROGERS PARK, (W of California N of Pratt to Howard.) It remains pretty nice.

This shooting does not represent some big change in West RIDGE. It has been seedy for years and did not benefit much from the condo conversion boom of the last decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago