Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:48 PM

12 posts, read 32,494 times

Advertisements

I am a 57 y.o. professional who has lived in most every part of this magnificent country but the desert southwest! I have a possible work relocation pending to the west side of Chicago if the stars align for me in the coming month or so.

As I plan to interview soon in Chicago, I'd like to take a second day to travel to a couple of locales to look at neighborhoods. My wife and I prefer townhouses (i.e. two bed rooms) as we are empty nesters and active. We have lived in hip cities like Seattle and Nashville, so we like cool but not a neighborhood that stays up all night. Any suggestions on where I might look? Any info would be very helpful. Know nothing about the Chicago area at this point other than the locations of Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 01:52 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitynCountry View Post
I am a 57 y.o. professional who has lived in most every part of this magnificent country but the desert southwest! I have a possible work relocation pending to the west side of Chicago if the stars align for me in the coming month or so.

As I plan to interview soon in Chicago, I'd like to take a second day to travel to a couple of locales to look at neighborhoods. My wife and I prefer townhouses (i.e. two bed rooms) as we are empty nesters and active. We have lived in hip cities like Seattle and Nashville, so we like cool but not a neighborhood that stays up all night. Any suggestions on where I might look? Any info would be very helpful. Know nothing about the Chicago area at this point other than the locations of Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park!
Can you give us more info? Do you have a car that you plan on keeping in the city? How are you getting to work? Is your work downtown or a suburb? What is your budget? Any additional information will help us give you better information.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:38 PM

12 posts, read 32,494 times
Default Better?

The work address is 15th and California. I have a truck, but I certainly can take other transportation, i.e. train, subway, etc. Don't know my options as this is possibility is all so new and I know absolutely squat about Chicago. I'll be making approximately 90,000 max annual is my guess, if it happens. My wife will work as an administrative assistant somewhere I'm sure. We don't live "high on the hog" and we would want a moderate sized townhouse at most. Does that help at all?

Old 03-27-2012, 02:53 PM

That should be enough information for us to help you out!

Townhouses dont really exist if your looking to live "IN" the city. If your work is located near Western and 15th you have the option of both the "L" and the Metra, which means you can live in the suburbs should you choose, where townhouses exist (just throwing out the option). In chicago, most buildings are multi unit brownstones (look like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rownstone1.jpg).

Since to me it seems like you want to move to the city, I would mostly suggest you check out Wicker Park/Bucktown. It has the neighborhood feel, but it also has a good nightlife and excellent restaurants/shopping. Its not loud, nor is it dangerous. I assume security would be a concern for you right?

A 2 bedroom in Wicker Park averages $1800 per month in rent, in bucktown its $1600. If your looking to buy, I dont entirely know what a mortgage would cost. Your commute from bucktown/wicker park would be VERY easy, and there is usually FREE street parking so you dont have to worry about any extra costs for parking.

Let me know what you like/dislike about the suggestion and I of course can suggest further.

Here is an excellent guide that will provide you with what to expect cost wise. Top Secret Apartment Data | Domu Chicago

Old 03-27-2012, 03:55 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Contrary to the prior post, townhouses are plentiful in Chicago.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:35 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Contrary to the prior post, townhouses are plentiful in Chicago.
Agreed. There are many townhouses in Chicago.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 AM

Where are they? None are anywhere close to downtown as far as I know. I think there are some along Western Ave that I know of, but that isn't exactly a nice area that I would suggest to the OP.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 AM

While it is true that townhouses are not the predominant form of housing in Chicago, they are not particularly rare in the denser neighborhoods. However, driving down a handful of streets is not the easiest, nor most comprehensive way to identify available real estate properties in Chicago. Luckily, the internet gives us better tools.

A quick search of real estate listings shows numerous townhouses available for sale. (Note: not all of these listings are true townhouses, ie separate entrance, no units above/below, but many are.)
Real Estate Search | Redfin

If this many THs are for sale, there must be quite a few for rent as well.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM

I'm assuming you'll be working at Mount Sinai Hospital. While there is el/subway service within a few blocks of the Hospital, the surrounding neighborhood may be a little too "urban" for some. YMMV. You may wish to drive to work. Your wife will most likely find employment in the central business district (the "Loop"), where transit is plentiful and safe. Your best bet is to live within walking distance of an el/subway station, but probably not too close to the Loop (due to prohibitively high parking expenses.)

Wicker Park may be a good choice for neighborhoods. Other possibilities include West Loop and South Loop. The north lakefront neighborhoods are desirable as well, but you'll want to avoid the portions that have a "just-out-of-college, party all the time" atmosphere.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:26 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Where are they? None are anywhere close to downtown as far as I know. I think there are some along Western Ave that I know of, but that isn't exactly a nice area that I would suggest to the OP.
I have looked at several townhouse for sale recently in Old Town and Lincoln Park. My realtor has sent me several dozen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago