U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-28-2012, 04:38 PM

766 posts, read 1,081,916 times

Advertisements

I know Chicago generally love the Bears more than their other pro sports teams. However, I was wondering what was more meaningful to the city, the 1985 Bears or the Michael Jordan-led Bulls in the 1990's?

I know the Bears are loved more than Bulls generally speaking, but when you have Jordan giving you 6 championships and putting Chicago on the world map so easily, that is a dream of any fan in any city. I am asking this because I read comments on the ESPN Chicago site about Chicago's favorite athletes, and the general theme of the comments were that "if you are a true Chicago sports fan, Walter Payton>Michael Jordan, and '85 Bears > '90s Bulls".

I thought that was kind of nutty, but I guess thats the typical reaction from a non-Chicagoan who doesn't care about the Bears, but loves MJ and the '90s Bulls.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 04:47 PM

1,869 posts, read 2,859,483 times
I was very young when the Bears won, but I think the Jordan area is much more important to the city. You hear so much about the 85 season because it only happened once. I remember watching Bulls games and when they would lose everyone would just freak out. Jordan wouldnt stop for the interview and just storm out.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:23 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,859,280 times
I was unaware that a basketball team put Chicago on the "world map".

In any event I think most people think the Bears championship was a much bigger deal.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:34 PM

766 posts, read 1,081,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post

In any event I think most people think the Bears championship was a much bigger deal.
World map as far as sports is concerned. Chicago, as a city, has been on the world map for over a century.

Is that really true? Over Michael Jordan?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:41 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,859,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Is that really true? Over Michael Jordan?

I think so. I think Jordan and the Bulls were bigger with the chattering classes and tastemakers than with regular folks. Not that they weren't big but on the job (I'm working class, a retired tradesman) there was always more talk and greater enthusiasm for the Bears, Sox and Cubs than about the Bulls.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:18 PM

3,022 posts, read 3,504,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
I read comments on the ESPN Chicago site about Chicago's favorite athletes, and the general theme of the comments were that "if you are a true Chicago sports fan, Walter Payton>Michael Jordan, and '85 Bears > '90s Bulls".
It's generational more that anything. The Bears were a huge deal, but aren't as big a deal to anyone under 35 or so. I'd replace "if you are a true Chicago sports fan" with "if you are a middle aged (or older) Chicago sports fan".

Old 03-28-2012, 06:49 PM

772 posts, read 347,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
It's generational more that anything. The Bears were a huge deal, but aren't as big a deal to anyone under 35 or so. I'd replace "if you are a true Chicago sports fan" with "if you are a middle aged (or older) Chicago sports fan".
I agree. Most of the people from my generation grew up during the Bulls dynasty, so to many of my friends they are more Bulls fans than Bears.

I think the best way to sum it up is like this. The team we are proudest of is the Bulls and the team that's most special to us is the Bears.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:27 PM

843 posts, read 839,581 times
Jordan and the bulls were a dynasty that ruled the basketball world for near a decade. No team ever put the pride in Chicago as much as they did. Wearing the red and black was mandatory when you traveled, the Bulls were both a national and an international attraction. They were very much respected and envied.

Every playoff run built to a crescendo and ended in a true visceral celebration where race, ethnicity and class distinctions didn't seem to matter for a few moments. I was on the streets in the thick of it myself and never felt prouder or happier to be a Chicagoan.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 PM

1,869 posts, read 2,859,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Jordan and the bulls were a dynasty that ruled the basketball world for near a decade. No team ever put the pride in Chicago as much as they did. Wearing the red and black was mandatory when you traveled, the Bulls were both a national and an international attraction. They were very much respected and envied.

Every playoff run built to a crescendo and ended in a true visceral celebration where race, ethnicity and class distinctions didn't seem to matter for a few moments. I was on the streets in the thick of it myself and never felt prouder or happier to be a Chicagoan.
deep stuff, but true.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 PM

11,156 posts, read 7,593,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post

I was just in Istanbul last month, and whenever someone asked where I was from (when they didn't think I was a local) and I said Chicago, you know what the first thing they said was?

"Chicago Bulls.." or "Michael Jordan!"

Literally, that is the only thing they said. That is how they knew Chicago and the only reason they knew Chicago. FWIW. Even when I met non Turks from say Europe (France for example), that is what they said too. Honestly, the Bulls of Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen put Chicago on the map for people who don't know a ton about world/US history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago