Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:46 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
A Midwest high speed network; with Chicago as the hub... and spokes to Detroit, Cleveland, St Louis, and Minneapolis;
Leave out Indianapolis why don't ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 06:52 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
http://www.midwesthsr.org/sites/defa...cal_Report.pdf

I do believe we will see a Chicago HSR network by 2050 connecting to Cleveland , St. Louis and Twins Cities. The rest of the Midwestern Cities will get at least 125mph service. The Flat landscape of Midwest makes Constructing the HSR cheaper and faster to build as opposed to the Northeast or Cali. So what do Windy city residents think about the future HSR system? You won't see anything big intill the 2020s...aside from 110mph corridors....

How terribly Japanese

Old 04-03-2012, 12:24 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Leave out Indianapolis why don't ya.
Mitch Daniels is the one who has decided to leave Indianapolis out, complain to him if you have a problem with that.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:29 AM

528 posts, read 711,833 times
Problem is most folks can not appreciate the relaxation of rail travel. Driving stresses me out, but with the train I arrive fresh and rested.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:51 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Mitch Daniels is the one who has decided to leave Indianapolis out, complain to him if you have a problem with that.
I don't know who that is but he ought to include Indianapolis, as there are many people who would go there for the race and many other reasons.

Besides, I was replying to rogead.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:42 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
I don't know who that is but he ought to include Indianapolis, as there are many people who would go there for the race and many other reasons.

Mitch Daniels is the current governor of Indiana. Hard to develop enhanced rail service to Indiana if the government of Indian refuses to cooperate.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:47 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,570 times
Quote:

Old 04-03-2012, 01:14 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
As a person who often frequents the Chicago-St. Louis Amtrak corridor, I think that high-speed rail would be a boon for the region, especially for those traveling to ISU or UIUC (students) or government workers and tourists traveling to Springfield. Surprisingly, these stations have some of the highest rail boarding in the Midwest, with the stations in Springfield, B/N, and C/U having more boardings than much bigger cities' stations such as Minneapolis, Cleveland, Indianapolis, and Kansas City! It would be nice to get to St. Louis in 2-3 hrs.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:35 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
I do think that, in its initial stages, HSR is most likely to appeal to business travelers; with recreational travel coming in a later stage. No slight meant to Indianapolis (or Columbus, Cincinnati, and Kansas City). These are important destinations, but probably of a secondary nature. I think the ultimate goal will be to link all of the region's significant population centers to a high speed grid.

The willingness of politicians to think regionally is also vital to the success of any potential HSR. Wisconsin's governor, Scott Walker, is another Neo-Luddite when it comes to high speed rail. His strong opposition to Wisconsin participating in a regional plan, has led some to suggest a CHI-MSP route that bypasses that state... heading west into Iowa, then north into Minnesota.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
Quote:
As others have noted above, Daniels is the governor of Indiana and has refused to accept federal money for HSR in Indiana. My point was that he has much more say in the decision than rogead, who seems to be aware of the fact that Indiana has refused any Federal funds for HSR. Indianapolis has been left out of the HSR system by the governor of Indiana, not by rogead.

Quote:
If you're trying to have a private conversation with someone it's probably best to send them a private message instead of posting it to the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago