Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 AM

5 posts, read 6,696 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We're a couple in our mid to late 20s from London, UK and we are moving to Chicago later this year. I have never been to the city (have been to NYC a lot) and have no idea where to even start so was hoping some of you fine people might be able to help?

We will both be working around the downtown area.
Budget is approx $1,800+.

What we would like:
- one or two bedroom nice apartment (either new high rise or cool loft / brick conversions)
- good bars, restaurants, cafes, shops, etc nearby....i guess a bit arty / boutiquie
- not too far away from work. (my commute in London is 50mins and i want to cut that in half at least)
- a good vibe during both day and night without it being a college area for students
- quite like the idea of being close to the beach.

I have heard that Lakeview East (Aqua), Old Town and Lincoln Park are all nice but have no clue really.....

Any help would be much appreciated.
Charlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,050,558 times
With that budget you can get either a very nice 1bed just about anywhere, or a standard 2 bed. Aqua is a nice and expensive building but honestly the neighborhood isn't what you are looking for.

Old Town, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park/Bucktown etc are probably the responses you will get. Gold Coast as well, though it's not very artsy at all. If you want to keep commute short Old Town and Gold Coast are closest to the loop. The rest could be a 30-40min commute just depending on where you end up living and working exactly.

Old Town somewhere near Wells would be your best bet. Not many college students, a bit artsy, plenty of restaurants/cafes and it's a short train or bus ride to the loop.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 AM

That's awesome...thanks very much. Will have a look at those areas now.

Is Old Town quite a popular place to live in Chicago?
What are the types of apartments i should be looking at in Wells, Old Town / Gold Coast??
Also, do you happen to know any good letting agents (i think you guys call them Realters in the US).

Thanks again

Old 04-03-2012, 08:52 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,849,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieh86 View Post

What are the types of apartments i should be looking at in Wells, Old Town / Gold Coast??
Also, do you happen to know any good letting agents (i think you guys call them Realters in the US).

Thanks again
I'd start with Craigslist. Lots of apartments on there.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,050,558 times
Quote:

Thanks again
For clarification Wells is a street that runs through Old Town and is sort of its main commerce corridor.

Old town is mostly flats and some high-rises, same with Gold Coast really. As suggested Craigslist has lots of apartments, but it is also fully of spam. There is a nice service called PadMapper that will also show listings from multiple sites on a map overview so you can see where the unit is in relation work. It also sorts out a lot of the spam.

Chicago a ton of rentals, finding a place shouldn't be much of an issue with your budget. I will say that apartments usually don't stay listed very long though.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:29 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,496,910 times
River North, Old Town, Gold Coast or Lincoln Park would give you the best commute and most walkable neighborhoods along with modern apartments.

I definitely second the padmapper.com suggestion, but you might also be able to find a realtor who will help you look for a rental -- this is more rare in Chicago than other places I've seen as many apartments aren't listed on the MLS.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:46 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,067,784 times
Quote:

Thanks again
Look into a group like the Apartment People. They are free to the renter, in that there is no fee, but the cost may be embedded in a slightly higher rent. But in your situation, brand new to the city, its worth it.

Lakeshore East is nice, buts its a newer area so while the buildings and views are nice, the downside is the abundance of neighborhood amenities you would have in Lincoln Park or the Gold Coast don't exist there. Don't confuse that with East Lakeview, which is north of the neighborhood of Lincoln Park, and one of the most ped-friendly areas in the city.

I wouldn't rule out any of the neighborhoods that have been suggested so far. When you work with a leasing agent, include all of those neighorhoods and have them show you at least one unit in each of them, so you get a chance to see which neighborhood best meets your wants/needs.

Last edited by jdiddy; 04-03-2012 at 10:08 AM..

Old 04-03-2012, 09:50 AM

Great help so far guys - thanks so much. Will def take a week out of work and hit the town to see lots of places. Cheers again

Old 04-03-2012, 10:34 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,140,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
Old Town somewhere near Wells would be your best bet. Not many college students, a bit artsy, plenty of restaurants/cafes and it's a short train or bus ride to the loop.
I second Old Town, great place to live if you can afford it, and it seems you can!

Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,180,874 times
You might want to check out Hawthorne House Apartments in the 3400 block of North Lake Shore Drive. Hawthorne House - Apartments in Chicago location in East Lakeview right across from the park/lake/running trails and if you walk a block west you will have N. Broadway with many blocks of shops and restaurants. Also a Whole Foods, Jewel, and Treasure Island within a few blocks of your building and several express buses at your front door that will take you to N Michigan Ave and downtown/Loop (or you can walk to the Red Line train if you prefer).

Lincoln Park is another good area. Lakeview is the neighborhood immediately north of LP (not to be confused with Lakeshore East where the Aqua is located).

Last edited by soulful; 04-03-2012 at 02:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago