Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:56 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
You sir, are awesome.
That place is great. I unfortunately usually only can go at peak times when it's cramped, because as you said it's like someone's small house, but if you can get there when it's a bit slower....good times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 03:08 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Bars with lines mean bars with no open tables. I like to sit and drink my beer with good friends. Standing with a drink all night is one of my least favorite things.

Another bar I loved in Chicago was Beachwood -- divey as they come, but great jukebox.
I agree, it just depends on what you want at the time. Many times I want what you want, but sometimes I want something else.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:41 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
That place is great. I unfortunately usually only can go at peak times when it's cramped, because as you said it's like someone's small house, but if you can get there when it's a bit slower....good times!
I still like Danny's (listed it in this thread as a fave) but when we used to go there back around the late 80's it was really fun. The upstairs used to be a vacant apartment, with a complete kitchen (empty drawers and cabinets) and a big friendly dog was always around. There was also the church room on lower level with large stained glass windows. It always seemed everyone was cool and it was easy to start conversations with anyone else. Felt like a house party.

Now it's a bit of a club atmosphere on weekends with bumpin dj's and an active dance floor. The upstairs is now half the size, and has a lounge feel. I still like it, but it was way better.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:04 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
I still like Danny's (listed it in this thread as a fave) but when we used to go there back around the late 80's it was really fun. The upstairs used to be a vacant apartment, with a complete kitchen (empty drawers and cabinets) and a big friendly dog was always around. There was also the church room on lower level with large stained glass windows. It always seemed everyone was cool and it was easy to start conversations with anyone else. Felt like a house party.

Now it's a bit of a club atmosphere on weekends with bumpin dj's and an active dance floor. The upstairs is now half the size, and has a lounge feel. I still like it, but it was way better.
I can imagine, sounds awesome!

Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
I like neighborhood taverns with a long bar, just one TV and where I can get a bottle of Old Style and pour it into a small beer glass and chase it with a shot of VO. I don't like pool tables and loud music. I like joints that don't care if you smoke even if they do keep the door locked.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I like neighborhood taverns with a long bar, just one TV and where I can get a bottle of Old Style and pour it into a small beer glass and chase it with a shot of VO. I don't like pool tables and loud music. I like joints that don't care if you smoke even if they do keep the door locked.
Sounds like heaven.

Seriously

Old 04-05-2012, 10:12 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
I think the time of day has a lot to do with whether or not I enjoy a bar. For example, McFaddens on a Wednesday or Thursday around 7pm or during a bulls game is usually a great time. I really try to avoid it though after 10pm or on weekends since that is when it becomes douchey.

If I am going out at night on a weekend, I always enjoy Linons Head or Wise Fools. I will give an honorable mention to Burton Place for their second floor bartender. Shes a very fit short woman who serves THE BEST drinks I have ever had in Chicago. She even warned my girlfriend and I that our drinks would kick our ass. As she handed it over, she gave us a pitcher of water which was much appreciated later. I can always appreciate a good bartender no matter what bar I am going to.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:57 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I think the time of day has a lot to do with whether or not I enjoy a bar. For example, McFaddens on a Wednesday or Thursday around 7pm or during a bulls game is usually a great time. I really try to avoid it though after 10pm or on weekends since that is when it becomes douchey.

If I am going out at night on a weekend, I always enjoy Linons Head or Wise Fools. I will give an honorable mention to Burton Place for their second floor bartender. Shes a very fit short woman who serves THE BEST drinks I have ever had in Chicago. She even warned my girlfriend and I that our drinks would kick our ass. As she handed it over, she gave us a pitcher of water which was much appreciated later. I can always appreciate a good bartender no matter what bar I am going to.
Agreed. I've had some bartenders/servers I wanted to shrink down and carry around in my pocket so they could serve me everywhere I go.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:59 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Default my view

I thought that I would chime in and give a gay black male perspective.

Spins has been a good option for me on friday nights. Good shower shows. Friendly unpretentous clientelle. Everyone is there to have fun. Good staff as well.

Sidetraxx on sundays have show tunes where they play music and scenes from broadway musicals. Awsome time. Once again good staff. Clientelle is not as sociable as you would think for a gay bar but a great place to go with friends.

Lucky Horseshoe is horrible. Its a gay strip club with anorexic men marching in place licking their tongue out and calling themselves looking sexy and dancing. Its a disgrace. smh!!!

Roscoes is great on kareoke nights. Good mix of gay and straight. One night they have live band kareoke wed nights its just regular kareoke. Anyway always have had a good time with friends or by myself. Once again unpretentous clientelle and good staff.

My favorite is club escape off stoney island and 74th. One of a handfull of black gay clubs in the state but ive seen sraight white females have a good time also. Awsome staff awsome clientelle. The dj is the best in chicago. If your looking for a place to dance your but off and meet people and dont mind the smaller club, then club escape is the spot.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Any bar that has a critical mass of rude Cubs fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago