Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:51 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,687 times

Advertisements

How can you possibly be disappointed in Chicago? Our muders are up 56%. With national unemployment being so high, what we all needed was a good muder.

I just hope nobody had herpes, or else we're all going to have some very embarassing phonecalls to make
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 05:22 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Here's just one of many impressional views you just won't get from a window of Greyhound Bus. You just have to be right in it.

very nervy of you, urbanologist; slipping in pictures of NYC and trying to pass them off as being Chicago.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:17 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,164,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontorocks View Post
A couple days ago i passed thru Chicago on the greyhound and was underwhelmed. it looked so run down and boring and the skyline wasn't nearly as impressive as i expeced.
Whoaa! Hold up! Did you even check out the bus terminal bathrooms? They're slick, man, maybe the cleanest, freshest, coolest place to do your duty anywhere in the US. What about the bus terminal Subway? Did you even try it? Don't tell me that isn't the best Subway you've ever experienced, the ambiance, the low lighting and subtle and understated music soundtrack? The fresh veggies? It's like you've never even BEEN to the bus terminal!

Old 04-07-2012, 11:41 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
very nervy of you, urbanologist; slipping in pictures of NYC and trying to pass them off as being Chicago.
Are you just being tongue in cheek, or are you being serious?

Because all three of those photos are definitely Chicago.

Here's the view from the street level for the two in the cluster of highrises:
gold coast, chicago - Google Maps

And I think you know for sure that the train one is Chicago, seeing as the Hancock is in the background and the Pink Line sign is in the front of the train.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:21 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Chill. Its joke.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:

And I think you know for sure that the train one is Chicago, seeing as the Hancock is in the background and the Pink Line sign is in the front of the train.
as a native born and life long Chicagoan, I'd say my tongue went well beyond my cheek on that one.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:

as a native born and life long Chicagoan, I'd say my tongue went well beyond my cheek on that one.

either that or Oakparkdude got me all wrong and I never heard of (and doubt the existence of) Oak Park.........or of Wright, Hemmingway, doopers, OPRF, or the one time "world's largest village"

as for that "pink line train", I would think that would be a neat trick since the photo is well north of Lake Street (as far north as the pink line goes). Has to be blue line train on the northwest side: not the position of the Hancock in relationship to 900 N Michigan (to the left of it) and Park Tower (Hyatt) to the right and you'd have to be pretty far north of the Loop. You can't see WTP at all since it is behind the Hancock which wouldn't block the view if you were on the Lake St. el tracks. (although I will completely agree that doesn't appear to be a blue line sign)

Last edited by edsg25; 04-08-2012 at 01:55 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 04:25 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
hat would be a neat trick since the photo is well north of Lake Street (as far north as the pink line goes). Has to be blue line train on the northwest side: not the position of the Hancock in relationship to 900 N Michigan (to the left of it) and Park Tower (Hyatt) to the right and you'd have to be pretty far north of the Loop. You can't see WTP at all since it is behind the Hancock which wouldn't block the view if you were on the Lake St. el tracks. (although I will completely agree that doesn't appear to be a blue line sign)
You're wrong about the location of the photo. It is the Pink Line, turning south from Lake Street onto the Paulina Connector tracks.

The building to the far right is the Riverbend building. The lighter half (the right half) of the image of the Hancock building is the south side of the building. To the right of that is Park Hyatt blocking the view of Water Tower Place. That would only happen from somewhere SW of them. We can also tell its an older photo, because we see the IBM building behind Riverbend - a contemporary photo would show the 350 N Lasalle building, plus you would be able to see the Trump Tower behind it. But we don't, so it predates Trump.

If none of that convinces you, then you can see the roof of the Ashland/Lake Green Line stop above the very end of the train - no other branch in the city has station roofs like that.

Last edited by emathias; 04-08-2012 at 04:37 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 04:34 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Can everyone shut up?
He has one post and it's this one.
He never came back.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
You're wrong about the location of the photo. It is the Pink Line, turning south from Lake Street onto the Paulina Connector tracks.

The building to the far right is the Riverbend building. The lighter half (the right half) of the image of the Hancock building is the south side of the building. To the right of that is Park Hyatt blocking the view of Water Tower Place. That would only happen from somewhere SW of them. We can also tell its an older photo, because we see the IBM building behind Riverbend - a contemporary photo would show the 350 N Lasalle building, plus you would be able to see the Trump Tower behind it. But we don't, so it predates Trump.
my bad; you're right. sorry. i was trying to orient on the basis of the Hancock antennas. I do, however, see the el station up ahead there whose design is on the Lake Street line (and not on North Side lines) and I do see River Bend ahead around where the train hits the Loop.

It is interesting though since the skyline seems to present itself on that typical sort of northwest view (thinking of inbound on the Kennedy), not the more linear view coming in from the west side.

appearances are deceiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago