Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2007, 11:42 PM

5 posts, read 61,466 times

Advertisements

ok i live on the westside, little italy to be exact, and i would say i have never felt safer anywhere! The neighborhood is really tight and everyone watches over everyone else. This is not a wealthy neighborhood compared to places like lincoln park, but it is one of the safest neighborhoods i have ever been in. I am a 21 year old female who just moved here from appleton wi not too long ago. I walk alone at night, i park my car in an alley every night and have never even so much as been hastled for spare change.

I am considering a move to pilsen when my lease is up, if i cant find a place around this neighborhood. Pilsen seems to get a pretty bad rep, however i have been seeing many younger people my age, not just blacks, but all natonalities, and most of the people there look like artsits, musicans,skaters ect. I heard from a friend that since real estate is cheap people are buying up the buildings and rehabbing them, and making amazing places affordable. It is attracting all of the people my age who would rather own a 2 bedroom loft style apt, instead of a dingy garden studio for the same amount. I have not been here long enough to witness the evolution of pilsen, however i have heard stories about it in the past. I am not exactly sure i feel the safest living here, but i think off a main street would be ok, if it is close to the campus.
East pilsen seems better than west pilsen. We looked at a place on racine and 18th, it wasn't that bad, although i know that 18 generally tends to become a "risky" area, especially for a female.

Some areas we were interested in were westtown, and the uk village. Are those safe areas?

Old 08-11-2007, 11:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaykay View Post
Get tired of hearing things like this:
"2) a majority of its residents are middle-class, which unfortunately makes it kind of unique for an all-black neighborhood in the city;"
"Avoid the South Shore, Bronzeville, and Chatham areas altogether."

Okay Drover, you can jump down my throat now ;-)

LJK
I guess I am going to "jump down your throat" because "a majority of its residents are middle-class, which unfortunately makes it kind of unique for an all-black neighborhood in the city" is decidedly not a "blanket statement." Rather, it's an obviously qualified statement, and "blanket statement" and "qualified statement" are mutually exclusive. Even so, I'd like to know what you find objectionable about it.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlove01 View Post
OK, so I crossed off some of the ones someone suggested were not so good...This girl doesn't have the luxury or the time to check out too many apartments while she's up there, so just a couple follow up questions...

What about the area around Garfield Conservatory?
Here's one instance where I'm not afraid to make an unqualified, blanket statement: STAY AWAY. Gangs, drugs, shootings, and all of the stereotypical "inner city" issues are a matter of course in the Garfield Park area.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:42 AM

5 posts, read 61,466 times
[quote=pallygirl81;595346]I live in the Gold Coast and am a single black female.

Avoid the West Side at all costs. This area is truly scary.

i live in little italy on the west side, and it is absolutely amazing. Isn't wicker park,bucktown and uk village all on this part of town too? I really like all of these areas, and i am a 21 year old female.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:47 AM

573 posts, read 2,442,127 times
Thanks, that's good to know about Garfield...at least I can definitely tell her to stay away from there. I don't have addresses for all the apartments. My friend didn't give them to me, but I'm sure I could look them up for her.

OK so far we have NO for Garfield, South Shore, Bronzeville. It seems there are mixed reviews about every area.

I guess that all has to do with the tolerance, and/or the street you live on. I can relate. I was born in Chicago, but haven't been back in quite some time. We also lived in the suburbs from 1988 till 1993 so I'm not that familiar with the areas nowadays. We live in FL now and there's a couple cities people say there's high crime and drugs and that's only in one small section of the city. The rest of it is perfectly fine. I don't think anyone wants to live where there are daily drive-by shootings and people screaming at all hours of the night. Those are the areas I would want my friend's daughter to stay out of if at all possible. They are also from the projects in Brooklyn so they are used to inner city living. Just don't want drug dealers knocking on her door at 2 in the morning. But she doesn't care she moves to a neighborhood where people hang out on the stoop in front of their residence. She is actually looking forward to a neighborhood where people are not afraid to socialize at all hours of the night.

I haven't heard anything about these places...Should these be the "top 3"?

--West Irving - 60618, neighborhood Old Irving Park
--Touhy Glen - 60626, 1 block from Lakefront and the El train
--Farwell Arms - 60626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Here's one instance where I'm not afraid to make an unqualified, blanket statement: STAY AWAY. Gangs, drugs, shootings, and all of the stereotypical "inner city" issues are a matter of course in the Garfield Park area.

Last edited by ddlove01; 08-12-2007 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: added some more stuff

Old 08-12-2007, 09:55 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedteacher1 View Post
The southside is not all bad. If they were, then why are all the yuppies buying up all of the townhomes and moving there? You people act like the north side is so much better. If thats true, then how come they want to host the Olimpics all on the southside? Why do you thing that developers are constantly building all these new homes and they are going like hotcakes? To me the southside has more to offer (culturally).
"Yuppies" will buy where they think there's an upside. Bridgeport, for example, has been seriously hyped as the next Big Thing, and people are buying into it, even though it's pretty thin soup culturally, architecturally (compared to many other city neighborhoods and inner ring suburbs), and in terms of restaurants and bars. But if enough people buy in, it will be the next Big Thing.

I think the selection of Olympic Village was more about available (low value) land as opposed any statement that the South Side is "better" than the North Side.

To say the South Side has more to offer culturally is pushing it. I guess that depends on how you define culture. To me, it doesn't.

That said, you're definitely right about one thing -- stereotyping is wrong. You can't make blanket statements about the South Side on the whole. Each area is different.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:34 PM

86 posts, read 698,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Back in the mid 80's I lived in Oak Park for about a year and a half. I remember driving through the entire west side to downtown. Austin was bad but both West and East Garfield Park neighborhoods were "bombed-out". Does it still look like this?

Old 08-19-2007, 03:41 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,209 times
tragically, unfortunately, yes.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:44 AM

202 posts, read 270,810 times
Yes, Garfield Park is one area that is consistently, overwhelmingly a violent craphole. Unfortunately.

As far as your latter post, I used to live in 60626, really enjoyed it and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:10 AM

7 posts, read 45,829 times
Default what is a good neigborhood?

I never heard of a good neigborhood, Northside alot of women are rape, cab drivers are killed, people are found an their homes dead. The south, west, north, east side all have it's problem. This world is not a safe place to live but we still are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago