Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:34 PM

8 posts, read 60,510 times

Advertisements

how bout the 1000 block of w harrison (south and a few blocks east of midway)

Old 10-26-2006, 10:14 PM

8 posts, read 60,510 times
nevermind about that one (i was looking at the wrong end of my mapquest directions) how is marquette park, Marquette Park?

Old 10-27-2006, 12:47 AM

84 posts, read 1,103,765 times
Default Marquette Park Not Good

That area, is not good anymore, esp at night, I would recommend the area West of it, between 71st and 67th West of Pulaski/Crawford all the way to Harlem, you should be okay for at least two more elections,

Another great area is the Clearing Neighborhood, which is West and North of Midway Airport 55th street, to 63rd street, Cicero to Harlem, I call this area, Little Poland, or Copland West, old warehouses, and semi trailer parking lots, have been converted to normal city streets, and new homes, with garages, are being built, esp along 65th street, Harlem and all points east, Nice Homes, that is Ed Burke 's ward, and you should be okay for at least four or five elections

1000 W Harrison, is not a good place, esp if you have a car, and besides that, the morgue, and the new juvenile detention center, are a mile west, and three blocks east of them is the old and new cook county hospital, and all the noise that comes with those places,

Old 10-27-2006, 08:26 AM

102 posts, read 163,435 times
You are wrong MarquettePark, Clearing in Mike Zalewski's ward not Ed Burke. I would recommend living in Garfield Ridge over Clearing. Garfield Ridge is much cleaner and the homes are nicer. To me, Clearing is not well kept up--alot of hillbillies live there hence the term along the homes on W. 65th Street between Austin and Central--hillbilly haven.

You are right,that whole area could be termed Little Warsaw, but there are many Mexican families moving into the area too.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:51 PM

111 posts, read 347,552 times
just stay away from the projects especilly the Ida B. Wells projects and you'll be ok

Old 11-04-2006, 09:41 AM

359 posts, read 1,312,285 times
Default what if ur several....

what if ur african american AND gay....lol....i read young college african american would love southside and i thought oh great...then if ur gay, southside not for you.....son is both AND creative....lol it's all so ridiculously funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquettePark View Post
Fact, Northside is smaller than southside,

Fact, Northside has higher prices than same items in the Southside

Fact, Northside has all "yes all" the best bars, clubs, live theater, Cubs, Art, Museums,

Fact, Northside being smaller (size) has substantially more people, cars, congestion

Fact, Northside has more violent crime (checked google and US Census Websites)

My Take

The northside of chicago, to an outsider can best be described as a super sized version of North Hollywood CA, Palo Alto CA, Cadilac MI, or Hoboken NJ, I really dislike the north side of chicago, because of its lack of breathing room, typical brick bungalow/single family homes on a regular city block, are few and far between. Streets are narrow and have little or no parking, unless you want to pay, or walk. Newbies to the area will notice almost everything costs more versus southside, Chicago in general has higher prices on everything unless your from Los Angeles, New York.

We can all agree that all Chicago Public Schools suck with the exception of Whitney Young, Jones Commercial, Morgan Park, Bogan, and Lane Tech.....

The Southside

The southside of chicago can best be described as super sized version of Spokane WA, Detroit MI, Baltimore ME. Southside is younger than the northside, neighborhoods are unfortuneately grouped by race primarily, and wealth secondary. Residential buidings taller than 100 feet, dont exist, majority of homes, have parking, grass, cleaner air, wider streets and substantially more breathing room.

I have learned not to get to riled up, when I see someone bashing the Southside, I have learned over the years, being a Cable Guy, why we dont get along too well, I have lived in both parts of town, and when I resided in the northside my overall quality of life and health declined, and day to day life situations were more difficult and stressing. Living on the southside is better than the northside especially if your low on funds and want to own instead of rent, there is an open and unrestricted feel to this area.

I may get banned or edited for these next remarks, allow me to apologize first if I offend or upset anyone

The City of Chicago and its alleged bad areas, are only bad, if you know some important details, from the person describing "A bad area"\

If you are White, above the age of thirty, married or single any income, The entire southside is bad,

If you are Hispanic any age, any income, married or single, The entire southside is the American Dream come true

If you are Black single or married, over the age of twenty five, middleclass income or higher you already know you own the southside, and let me say thankyou for allowing me to live in your southside

If you are employed or soon will be employed by the City or County, you must live in the southside otherwise you will be uncool and laughed at

If you are Gay, the entire southside is very bad for you.

If you are an artist, musician, or actor, the entire southside is very bad for you

If you are an enviromentalist, tree hugger, and lover of nature the entire southside is heaven for you and welcome........

If you are a young black college student the entire southside is the mecca of African American History, and the birthplace of some of the most respected and influential black leaders of our century

If I skipped any particular demographic, or cross section of American populus, its because you or they dont live here..........

In closing, when moving to chicago, a handy tip for discovering the truths and falsities of a particular area of the city, search by zipcode, ask find or bribe a Chicago Cop for info, ask find or bribe a Cable Guy (Me) for info, You would be amazed how informative and honest Southsiders are, if properly motivated

I have posted several articles on what is considered the best area of Chicago, zip 60655 60643 southside of course, do a search using my handle on this site

Old 11-05-2006, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 23,258 times
Default north side

The north side of chicago is a wonderful place to live if you are younger. Depending on your salary of where to live. Up by lake shore drive and belmont are wonderful apartments with great views of the lake. Those apartments are big money, if you have a boat there are tons of harbours. Theres not much to do in the southside and the notorious west side. I grew up on chicago and leremy, I went back and now it's a bad hood. Other good places to live are the suburbs rite outside of chicago such as: Elmwood park, Des plaines, Mt. prospect is getting a little shaky but its not bad yet.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:44 AM

11 posts, read 62,263 times
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the area where the United Center is still bad? Is there a way to get there that's safe? Thanks.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:03 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
The area east of the United Center is quite nice, lofts and resturants, the area west of there is still a bit rough. Take the #20 Madison bus west from the LOOP to get there, it is about a 10-15 minute ride.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 23,258 times
Default Moving

Does anyone know if there is crime in the northwest suburbs. Such as: Des planes, Mt. prospect, Rolling Meadows, ect. (Is it a good place to raise your kids?). Or should I go to different suburbs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago