U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-08-2008, 09:39 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,333,567 times

Advertisements

I would not live in Pilsen nor would I spend much time there after dark or more than 10 minutes there anytime outside of my car.

That does not make me afraid to go into Pilsen. I just choose to avoid it as most people that value their life and property should.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:47 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,801,653 times
I have friends who live in Pilsen and they are doing just fine (and do not fear for their lives), however, they do live around 18th and Halsted which is a pretty nice part of Pilsen where the art galleries are. I've been down there to visit on many occasions (taking public transportation), have attended art openings down there (I know two artists with studios in Pilsen) and have visited the Mexican Fine Arts Museum. I'd consider living there if I wasn't happy where I live now, like many neighborhoods, there are streets one should avoid, but I wouldn't consider it a 'bad neighborhood'. It reminds me a bit of how Wicker Park was in the late 80's and early 90's.

Last edited by j33; 04-08-2008 at 09:58 PM..

Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 PM

433 posts, read 952,826 times
There are some serious hicks in this town, and most of them end up on the Northside, which unfortunately gives that part of the city a bad name.

I refer to them as Northside Hillbillys, and although that is politically incorrect, it pretty aptly describes people whose entire perspective of the universe is based on their insular little Northside world. Which is nowhere near as "safe" and crime-free as they would like to believe, I might add.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:02 PM

36,656 posts, read 58,119,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
And Drover, you are not much better. I would suggest that you actually go to Little Village, take a walk down 26th Street, and see the place for yourself. Your bogus attempts to equate it with North Lawndale are goofy bordering on absurd.
I have been to Little Village. I make it a point to know as much about my city as I can, and I've actually set foot in or at least driven around almost all of the places I talk about.

Some of Little Village looks OK. Some of it looks like the pit that it is. And if anything is absurd, it's judging a neighborhood by looking at one single street. I posted the hard, fast facts here in the form of crime stats for anyone to make up their own minds. The story they tell isn't nearly as flattering as the one (sort-of) manicured business strip in the neighborhood.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:19 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,983,449 times
I believe pilsen and little village are better than north lawndale. Pilsen is nicer than little village. There is a lot of gang activity but there is more sense of cmmunity in pilsen and little village than north lawndale.

My biggest gripe against lawndale is it has newer "condo fortresses" that closed off to the rest of the community to protect the dumb yuppies who got duped into buying there. Some of those developments are also mixed income and subsidized, the projects of tomorrow.

I refuse to live in an area where I am not able to talk with my neighbors across the street or walk around the block. Humboldt where I live has its problems but nothing like north lawndale.

Humboldt north of division is actually similar to pilsen and little village humboldt is more residential with less restaurants. South of division and definitely chicago ave it is a black ghetto. South of grand is also generally bad news west of the park.

I might actually say pilsen is slightly nicer than the part of humboldt where I live but about the same as the first few blocks west of the park staying north of grand, but poorer than logan as a whole.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I have been to Little Village. I make it a point to know as much about my city as I can, and I've actually set foot in or at least driven around almost all of the places I talk about.

Some of Little Village looks OK. Some of it looks like the pit that it is. And if anything is absurd, it's judging a neighborhood by looking at one single street. I posted the hard, fast facts here in the form of crime stats for anyone to make up their own minds. The story they tell isn't nearly as flattering as the one (sort-of) manicured business strip in the neighborhood.
First of all, the neighborhood isnot a "pit". I don't know where you get that or why you make stuff up like that. And there is NOTHING manicured about 26th street, so you are wrong about that, too.

Like I said, spend some time around there and maybe you'll get an inkling about what the problems and issues REALLY are. Lumping it together with North Lawndale is so ludicrous that it eliminates any credibility you might otherwise have on the subject.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:27 PM

36,656 posts, read 58,119,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
First of all, the neighborhood isnot a "pit". I don't know where you get that or why you make stuff up like that. And there is NOTHING manicured about 26th street, so you are wrong about that, too.

Like I said, spend some time around there and maybe you'll get an inkling about what the problems and issues REALLY are. Lumping it together with North Lawndale is so ludicrous that it eliminates any credibility you might otherwise have on the subject.
Whatever. I compiled the crime stats from the last 9 months for everyone to see. Those stats have laid bare what kind of neighborhood Little Village really is, your assertions notwithstanding. You can impeach my credibility all you like, but I have backed my claim up with facts. You have backed yours up with nothing but your own personal impressions.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I believe pilsen and little village are better than north lawndale. Pilsen is nicer than little village. There is a lot of gang activity but there is more sense of cmmunity in pilsen and little village than north lawndale.

My biggest gripe against lawndale is it has newer "condo fortresses" that closed off to the rest of the community to protect the dumb yuppies who got duped into buying there. Some of those developments are also mixed income and subsidized, the projects of tomorrow.

I refuse to live in an area where I am not able to talk with my neighbors across the street or walk around the block. Humboldt where I live has its problems but nothing like north lawndale.

Humboldt north of division is actually similar to pilsen and little village humboldt is more residential with less restaurants. South of division and definitely chicago ave it is a black ghetto. South of grand is also generally bad news west of the park.

I might actually say pilsen is slightly nicer than the part of humboldt where I live but about the same as the first few blocks west of the park staying north of grand, but poorer than logan as a whole.
You are getting it wrong as long as you lump Pilsen into one whole. At the very least, it is four distinct neighborhoods, so saying "it" is something or other without qualifying it is for all practical purposes meaningless.

That is what Northside Hillbillys (and I do not include you in that category) do not understand.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:45 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,801,653 times
Just because one lives north of Madison St. does not make them a hillbilly

Old 04-08-2008, 10:57 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,983,449 times
Default nearwestsider

Nearwestsider,

I agree with you. Pilsen has several distinct areas, kinda like humboldt park has different areas.

Drover provides a lot of useful insights on the board but I side with you on this one.

There is nothing manicured about the business district along 26th st. I just see it as a working poor area with lots of great restaurants where you don't walk around by yourself. Some of the best restaurants along that area. My last girlfriend was mexican and from cicero and we went to a number of these restaurants and little shops selling mostly trinkets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago