Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 07:21 PM

11 posts, read 62,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
The area east of the United Center is quite nice, lofts and resturants, the area west of there is still a bit rough. Take the #20 Madison bus west from the LOOP to get there, it is about a 10-15 minute ride.
Is it safe to go in that area for a lenght of time and have a car parked there in daylight?

Old 11-08-2006, 08:23 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
Yes it is, there is plenty of parking on the street east of United Center that is very safe. I've been in that area of town during the day and at night and have parked a car over there before with no problems whatsoever. Like I said though, east of Damen is okay (south of Madison), east of Ashland is ideal. They are building condos, etc west of Damen, so that is on the up and up, but there are still dicey areas over there.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:28 AM

11 posts, read 62,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Yes it is, there is plenty of parking on the street east of United Center that is very safe. I've been in that area of town during the day and at night and have parked a car over there before with no problems whatsoever. Like I said though, east of Damen is okay (south of Madison), east of Ashland is ideal. They are building condos, etc west of Damen, so that is on the up and up, but there are still dicey areas over there.

Ok, thanks. I just wanted to make sure, because someone that I work with said that they lived in Chicago and they would never go to that part of town because it was/is really bad day or night.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:09 AM

28 posts, read 180,086 times
MarquettePark is right on about many of his statements. Also, I believe he's just stating popular opinion - not his own feelings. Sadly, many view the city that way. Those who grew up there know better.

If it helps any - I went to Bogan.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:11 AM

22 posts, read 154,197 times
@MarquettePark,

Thanks for reminding me why I would never raise my children on the SouthSide, and why I only venture there to visit relatives. My husband and I own property, have children, and are both over the age of 25. We live in the Oak Park area. We don't care for the southside mainly because of the segregation. By the way, we've lived in the city on the south side and in Tinley Park. Coming out West was a breath of fresh air. You may want to travel to other parts of the US and other countries for that matter - you seem to have tunnel vision!

Old 11-25-2006, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 15,995 times
How about living between Chicago Grand Damen Ashland? That's where I grew up and thinking of moving back....... Tks Jean Danek

Old 11-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Roz

3 posts, read 24,848 times
If you want low crime with a short commute (including a nice train line that takes you into the heart of downtown) consider moving where your neighbors are firemen, policemen and teachers that have no choice but to stay within the city limits...Mt. Greenwood, West Beverly and Beverly. Oak Lawn is a nice area, while not in Chicago..it is just blocks from the Chicago border and their schools are excellent (if you have children). Bridgeport is near downtown but it's noisy and parking is difficult to find. There are some really nice sections on the near north side but at night, it's not the best for a woman to be alone because you'll end up parking and walking. Parking is hell up north.

I'd stick with Mt. Greenwood, Beverly and West Beverly.
The apartments are affordable, parking is great and the commute won't be long. Hope that helps. Also, Oak Lawn has great bus service/trains with an excellent police/fire department and schools. I wouldn't rule them out.

Last edited by Roz; 11-26-2006 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 11-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Roz

3 posts, read 24,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octogirl23 View Post
@MarquettePark,

Thanks for reminding me why I would never raise my children on the SouthSide, and why I only venture there to visit relatives. My husband and I own property, have children, and are both over the age of 25. We live in the Oak Park area. We don't care for the southside mainly because of the segregation. By the way, we've lived in the city on the south side and in Tinley Park. Coming out West was a breath of fresh air. You may want to travel to other parts of the US and other countries for that matter - you seem to have tunnel vision!

Oak Park = An overpriced suburb sandwiched between gang-infested dumps like Berwyn and crime nests neatly tucked along Lake Street. Lake/Austin...Pretty little crack houses all in a row.

Marquette Park is infested with crime. A formerly thriving area that welcomed people from all walks of life--the backbone of the Lithuanian community. Now, the shops are all closed, the park is filled with garbage and the gangs have left people living in abject fear. Scattered are the spay-paint tags found on many a home encased in black iron fencing to keep the criminal element out. That's not tunnel vision, that's reality.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:53 PM

4 posts, read 36,267 times
this is from 2003 but this should give you some idea of crime, demographics, and neighborhoods. Check the interactive graphics.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...wsspecials-hed

Old 01-02-2007, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 21,628 times
Default St. Ignatius

I have two questions.

1. What would you say is the worst neighborhood in Southside Chicago?

2. What do you think about St. Ignatius School?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago