Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by some dude View Post
I have two questions.

1. What would you say is the worst neighborhood in Southside Chicago?

2. What do you think about St. Ignatius School?
worst neighborhoods (do not drive through day or night)
Riverdale, Roseland, and West Pullman.
bad neighborhoods (ok to drive through during the day but at night forget it)
Englewood, Eastern Morgan Park, Marquette Park, Pullman, East Chicago, Brainerd, Gresham
Good Neighborhoods (crime rate comparable to north side neighborhoods)
Garfield Ridge, Clearing, Scottsdale, Chatham, Auburn, Bronzeville, McKinley Park, Western Morgan Park, Mt Greenwood, Washington Heights, Hegewisch.
Destination Neighborhoods (top tier neighborhoods that are consistently rated with the best in the city)
Hyde Park, South Loop, Bridgeport, Beverly.
St Ignatius is in the very popular University Village Neighborhood in the South Loop and is consistently rated as one of the top private schools in Chicago. Tests to get in are tough.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:09 AM

111 posts, read 275,465 times
ive walked at night through: hyde park, scottsdale, all of pullman, and riverdale and never had a problem

Old 01-05-2007, 07:58 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrobert View Post
ive walked at night through: hyde park, scottsdale, all of pullman, and riverdale and never had a problem
You misinterpreted my comment, Hyde Park, Pullman and Scottsdale are the good neighborhoods
Riverdale... well your on your own with that one

Old 01-05-2007, 07:39 PM

17 posts, read 219,222 times
Just try to stay away from the southside because this is the worst area of the town you can get it into. It's pretty much a ghetto there. Also on the northside there's the worst ghetto in the town. It's on Laramie/Lake. Stay as far away from that place as you can. Places like Maywood and Cicero are BAD neighborhoods also. Berwyn is a good place to live on the southside - it's close to town but surrounded by not so good neighborhoods.
You can tell whre a black or just very bad neighborhood is by looking at Chicago from Google Earth. There's many unused spaces or "holes" in residential areas. Normally, there'd be 20 houses in one block, but there's only 10. You can use www.ersys.com that website shows you an Ethnic Map of every bigger city.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:40 PM

17 posts, read 219,222 times
Quote:

Does anyone know if there is crime in the northwest suburbs. Such as: Des planes, Mt. prospect, Rolling Meadows, ect. (Is it a good place to raise your kids?). Or should I go to different suburbs?
I LIVE IN PARK RIDGE, ALMOST BY DES PLAINES AND IT'S AWESOME HERE. PRETTY MUCH ALL THE NORTHWESTERN SUBURBS ARE VERY GOOD TO LIVE AND THEY GROW RAPIDLY.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:33 AM

84 posts, read 1,103,765 times
Default St. Ignacius, Yes

That school tops all high schools, in the USA, as far as I am concerned, If you can get your kid in there, and afford the tuition,

The dumbest kid, in St Ignacius, is still more intelligent than the smartest kid, in any Chicago Public High School,

I attended Quigley South, which was all boys, so when our North Central Evaluation came out we were 2nd to St Ignacius, I dont remember which schools were 3rd 4th etc, no public school ranked higher than 15,

I would have loved to attend St. Iggy, but couldnt afford it, and like many other excellent Chicago Catholic Schools, the neighborhoods, that surround them are absoloutely unliveable,

The southside for the most part is a Demilitarized Zone, No Mans Land, the only decent areas of it are in the 60629 60655 60643 60632, zipcodes, plus the area west south and north of midway airport, and the NARROWS located in the south east side of the city, Avenue G, H, K, L, O

Old 01-31-2007, 07:21 PM

233 posts, read 701,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownguy View Post
The northside is the best. Avoid the southside - lots of bad areas.
Are you really a chitownguy? Have you been to the south side lately, or do you think it's all ghettos, gang bangers and folks like the Ligues who jump on umpires at US Cellular? I've got news for you, gentrification has come to the south side in a big way. Not only that, it's just in its infancy. Get out of your cocoon and check out what's happening in Bridgeport, Chinatown, Armour Square and Bronzeville. It all started in the South Loop way back in the early 80s, and it's gradually moving south. Your attitude is retro to say the least.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:50 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
The southside is really where all the interesting up and coming neighborhoods really seem to be these days. I live in the firmly gentrified East Village/West Town part of the city (my reasons for living here are my own and have little to do with being hip, which I am not). However, a good portion of my friends, looking for cheaper housing are moving south. Being a former south-suburbanite myself and a regular at the south-side irish parade since I was a child, I may be joining them someday when I get sick of my neighborhood (or priced out), at least down there I won't be given so much crap about liking the White Sox

Yes, there are bad areas of the south-side, but they are easy to avoid, and that certainly doesn't describe the entire south-side of the city.

What has happened in the South LOOP is amazing, I remember parts of the south LOOP that you wouldn't want to walk around in back in in 1990 or so that are impeccable and unaffordable now.

Last edited by j33; 01-31-2007 at 10:12 PM..

Old 01-31-2007, 10:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
I tried to move to Bridgeport but I could not persuade my wife to transfer from her Schaumburg office to her employer's downtown office. So here I am up on the Northwest side so that her commute won't be murder. Oh well, at least I ended up in a Bridgeport-esque neighborhood. I just wish I was paying Bridgeport-esque rent (though it's still not bad for the space I have).

Old 02-01-2007, 06:14 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSH View Post
worst neighborhoods (do not drive through day or night)
Riverdale, Roseland, and West Pullman.
bad neighborhoods (ok to drive through during the day but at night forget it)
Englewood, Eastern Morgan Park, Marquette Park, Pullman, East Chicago, Brainerd, Gresham
Good Neighborhoods (crime rate comparable to north side neighborhoods)
Garfield Ridge, Clearing, Scottsdale, Chatham, Auburn, Bronzeville, McKinley Park, Western Morgan Park, Mt Greenwood, Washington Heights, Hegewisch.
Destination Neighborhoods (top tier neighborhoods that are consistently rated with the best in the city)
Hyde Park, South Loop, Bridgeport, Beverly.
St Ignatius is in the very popular University Village Neighborhood in the South Loop and is consistently rated as one of the top private schools in Chicago. Tests to get in are tough.

NSH
is it safe to take the El from around 63rd and Ashland to downtown Chicago? I have a buddy who once lived on the Southside near 79th and South Ashland who wants to reminisce by taking an El ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago