Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:58 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliek View Post
What about Jefferson Park?
What about it?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:06 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,773 times
Jefferson Park is a suburban neighborhood of the city on the far NW side. It still has a city address and public school students attend Chicago Public Schools. It is home to a large portion of the city's workforce due to residency requirements and its suburban nature. Most people I know in that neighborhood shop in the suburbs.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:07 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
I agree that Hyde Park is definitely a viable neighborhood, its like the Lincoln Park of the south lol.
I disagree. Hyde Park is lacking the young professional scene. Hyde Park is also lacking the nightlife; bars, clubs, restaurants. Hyde Park also does not have L access.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:25 PM

3,441 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I disagree. Hyde Park is lacking the young professional scene. Hyde Park is also lacking the nightlife; bars, clubs, restaurants. Hyde Park also does not have L access.
You are right that unfortunately, the options for drinking in Hyde Park are too sadly limited. (this is as much as I love going to The Cove, my absolute favorite Hyde Park bar by far) However, the lack of direct 'L service, IMHO, isn't that terrible of an issue. One already has the options of both Metra Electric and South Shore(well, if you ever want to go anywhere between Hegewisch and South Bend anyway, as you can't ride SS trains from here to downtown) trains going through the heart of the neighborhood, and also the #6 CTA express bus.

Worst comes to worse during overnight hours, one can take the #55 Garfield bus over to the Red Line's Garfield/55th stop, then take the 'L to downtown(or vice versa, if you're coming back from downtown). Not as unsafe as many overblow doing such a commute to possibly be, all my Hyde Park friends have done this from time to time(but of course infrequently, and of course using normal street smarts and staying alert of your surroundings), and have had no problems whatsoever.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:33 PM

410 posts, read 633,535 times
Can anyone tell me the condition of say Portage Park, Irving Park, or Sauganash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
[cut]I'm white, above the age of 30, and know lots of people in my demographic that live on the south-side. Hell, I even know, gasp, gay artists that live on the south-side (is that too much for your clearly homophobic mindset, gay people who live in the south-side). .
I'll admit that I am a homophobe. I tolerate them, I just don't approve very much of what they believe about marriage and stuff. Thats just my opinion though, they can be good people like you and me.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
Can anyone tell me the condition of say Portage Park, Irving Park, or Sauganash?
The northern half of Portage Park is better than the southern half. Crime is starting to become an issue in the southern half. Irving Park is in slightly better shape; the western half is nicer than the eastern half which has some gang activity, the dividing line being roughly Central Park. Sauganash is basically suburbia and statistically one of the safest if not the safest neighborhood in the city.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:16 AM

410 posts, read 633,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The northern half of Portage Park is better than the southern half. Crime is starting to become an issue in the southern half. Irving Park is in slightly better shape; the western half is nicer than the eastern half which has some gang activity, the dividing line being roughly Central Park. Sauganash is basically suburbia and statistically one of the safest if not the safest neighborhood in the city.
thanks for the info, greatly appreciated

Old 05-19-2011, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 5,708 times
Ive always wanted to live in Chicago, i know its full of bad crime and all that stuff, i just want to experience all the stuff the city has. its looks like a beautiful city. i want to go visit it at least once in my life. i want to witness the gangs, the culture, the pretty ladies. EVERYTHING. Hopefully i can. I like to learn more about the city a lot. i already did a lot of research on it. The gangs are what inspire me more though. im Hispanic, what if i move there. Would i get shot, jumped? or get warned by the gang, not to be walking around THEIR neighborhood again. i don't know but i want to experience it

Old 05-19-2011, 10:44 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,022 times
You can avoid 100% of the gang activity in Chicago if you don't live between Howard and 138th street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago